2002 Pathfinder cranks but won't start

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
FlyingCrowbar
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Greetings, Pathfinder/QX4 forum --
First time poster here.

I have a 2002 Pathfinder that cranks but won't turn over. A week prior to this problem, the vehicle started idling between 1500 and 1750rpms, and the Service Engine light illuminated and I got a P0507 code. That is the only code my reader finds.

The hoses look to be in good shape. I cleaned the throttle body and the MAF sensor. When I crank the Pathfinder, the battery and starter are strong, and I can hear the fuel pump priming, so I don't think it's a fuel pump issue. Moreover, when I crank the engine, wisps of exhaust come out of the tailpipe, so I think the vehicle is getting a spark.

I thought about trying to run the relearn procedure to clear the P0507 code, but the engine has to be at operating temperature for it to work, which won't happen since I can't get the engine running.

By process of elimination, I don't think it's a spark plug issue. Had that been the problem, the vehicle would have run rough before failing to start. The vehicle has 1/2 tank of gas, and seemed to be running fine just before it died, so I don't think it's bad fuel. A clogged fuel filter would cause it to starve, not idle high. One thought is that the ignition problem is related to a failed crankshaft position sensor. (How would I test the CPS to determine whether it's failed or not?)

Any other thoughts on what the problem is? Could I have two separate problems that arose almost simultaneously?

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

to test the cps look in the FSM starting on page 325

https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder ... der/ec.pdf

To find out some of the causes of the p0507 code look in the FSM starting on page 459

I wonder if you have a faulty IACV which may have caused the high idle and is now causing the no-start. If it is bad you can find one for around $100 online for a Hitachi IACV

FlyingCrowbar

Thanks! I will definitely check that.

One other thing I neglected to mention: When I crank the engine, the needle on the tachometer doesn't move. I don't know if that is indicative of anything.

hasoon2000
Car: Infiniti Qx4 2001

I sold my QX4 a few years and sometimes miss it. I came back here to browse the forum and read some threads. I'm a mobile programmer. I had a customer with an 02 QX4 that would crank but not turn on fully. Let me ask you this. Is the anti-theft on? I had the shop replaced the NATS module (Nissan Anti-Theft System / anti-theft ring around the ignition cylinder) and I reprogrammed the key back to the truck and the truck turned on. If you can get access to a professional scan tool and not a basic OBD2 scanner. See if you have any codes about NATS or IMMU. If it does say something like that, you can get one from a junkyard for around $30. All you'd need is a scan tool to program the key back to the truck. Pre-defined pin code by Nissan is 5523 to reprogram the key/keys. Hope that gives you a little bit more of an insight.

fleurys
Car: 2001 Pathfinder , Locked and loaded !

FlyingCrowbar wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:56 pm
Greetings, Pathfinder/QX4 forum --
First time poster here.

I have a 2002 Pathfinder that cranks but won't turn over. A week prior to this problem, the vehicle started idling between 1500 and 1750rpms, and the Service Engine light illuminated and I got a P0507 code. That is the only code my reader finds.

The hoses look to be in good shape. I cleaned the throttle body and the MAF sensor. When I crank the Pathfinder, the battery and starter are strong, and I can hear the fuel pump priming, so I don't think it's a fuel pump issue. Moreover, when I crank the engine, wisps of exhaust come out of the tailpipe, so I think the vehicle is getting a spark.

I thought about trying to run the relearn procedure to clear the P0507 code, but the engine has to be at operating temperature for it to work, which won't happen since I can't get the engine running.

By process of elimination, I don't think it's a spark plug issue. Had that been the problem, the vehicle would have run rough before failing to start. The vehicle has 1/2 tank of gas, and seemed to be running fine just before it died, so I don't think it's bad fuel. A clogged fuel filter would cause it to starve, not idle high. One thought is that the ignition problem is related to a failed crankshaft position sensor. (How would I test the CPS to determine whether it's failed or not?)

Any other thoughts on what the problem is? Could I have two separate problems that arose almost simultaneously?

For this issue, I would start by removing your throttle body and from there open up your iacv module. There is a gasket in there that with time will dry and let coolant touch the electronic parts in there. From there the iacv valve will short and eventually cause a short back in the ECM of the truck.

So start with the iacv. Check the status of the gasket. If it is dried and you see traces of coolant passing through it, then you will need to do the following :

1) get a new iacv valve assembly
2) get a new iacv gasket
3) send your ecm to repair shop so that they can check it and possibly replace the blown resistors-chips... (There is some pictures in here..check for p0505 I beleive)

Hope this help.

FlyingCrowbar

Thanks for the advice, fleurys.

It turns out that you diagnosed the problem and the solution exactly. I ended up taking it to a shop, as the problem exceeded my ability to isolate it. They swapped both the IACV and the ECM, and it is up and running again. I would have tried the chip R&R, but I wasn't certain that replacing the chip would have completely resolved the issue (plus, my son needed his vehicle back, and didn't want to wait another week and a half for parts to arrive).

Interestingly (or maybe not), the only code the vehicle ever provided was p0507, which simply tells you it's idling high.

Anyway, thanks again! It looks like this board is going to be a valuable resource down the road (pun intended). Hopefully, I can contribute in some way.

carldu
Car: 08 Titan

Had the same problem and it was a vacuum leak.

fleurys
Car: 2001 Pathfinder , Locked and loaded !

FlyingCrowbar wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:54 am
Thanks for the advice, fleurys.

It turns out that you diagnosed the problem and the solution exactly. I ended up taking it to a shop, as the problem exceeded my ability to isolate it. They swapped both the IACV and the ECM, and it is up and running again. I would have tried the chip R&R, but I wasn't certain that replacing the chip would have completely resolved the issue (plus, my son needed his vehicle back, and didn't want to wait another week and a half for parts to arrive).

Interestingly (or maybe not), the only code the vehicle ever provided was p0507, which simply tells you it's idling high.

Anyway, thanks again! It looks like this board is going to be a valuable resource down the road (pun intended). Hopefully, I can contribute in some way.
Good ! I don't know if they replaced your iacv with a new one or used parts, but if you are not sure about this, it is worth the 3$ and buy a new iacv gasket at rockauto and you can change it yourself in about 30 minutes or so... You could save big in the long road... (I did it on my 2001 as preventive maintenance)...
Cheers!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”