2001 Sentra SEC question

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
sk47
Car: 2001 Nissan Sentra SE

topic628176.html

Hello; I have been working a no start problem on my 2001 Sentra SE 2.0 liter with manual trans. The link above is to the ongoing thread I started a few weeks ago. You do not have to read it, but it is available for reference.

My questions have to do with the SEC Smart Entrance Control. I am not sure if this part can be the cause of a no start issue on it's own. That is the first question I suppose. Can the SEC cause a no start? If not there is no need for the second question.

If the SEC can cause a no start then I have another question. If I replace the part myself will the system have to be reprogramed at a dealer?

I am not sure the SEC is bad. Most things it controls seem to work. Only two clues I have found. One is the key fobs do not open the trunk remotely any more. They worked before the no start. On a couple of occasions one key fob would open the trunks only while inside the car. Now it will not open the trunk ay all. Note -the button on the dash opens the trunk.

The second clue is the timer sequence of the red security light which is on the dash. In the past it blinked about every three seconds with the key off. Now it blinks once about every 30 seconds with the key off.

I can set the alarm as normal with a key fob. Push to lock, the flasher lights blink as normal and the red security light lights up for 30 seconds then goes off as normal.

I am to the point of towing the car to a dealer since the strongest clues point to the IMMU in the steering column. However even if I replace that part I will have to have it towed to a dealer to be reprogramed anyway is my understanding.

Thanks if you can help.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”