2001 qx4 will not stay running

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
EBiN5446
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 Pickup-4x4

Not sure I'm seeing this flat spot. What does it affect?

Tacoma96
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 L SE

the flat spot, the top area one of the ridges for approx 2" is flattened w/ a few nicks here and there..the sides of the flat spot for a 2-3" run length ARE SHARP..LIKE KNIFE EDGE SHARP..how many RPM does your engine spin driving etc..either slowly or after a few miles it could? shred the belt..right where the chain strap meets with the handle when you squeeze the chains ends together ti created that flat spot, it took me a few tries to get it to to tighten as tight as I possibly could to hold the pulley..i know i know I should of could of done this on the car via other means..slight oversight etc..(not solely my spelling/typing -here in the boonies of PA, no verizon services nor is pizza delivery available the intrAneet gets slow...I can't blame everything on gluten?!-I'm Celiac SO no comments on food/gluten please (auto-immmune condition)

Tacoma96

Flat SPot..on the crank pulley pic..the second ridge from the bottom, not counting the outer most edge etc and there are several nicks on there too in sev spots not in the pic..part of the process and the learning curve

EBiN5446

Got the OEM in and installed after ohm test. It acts like it wants to start but I feel the new TPS may be just out of alignment. Does anyone know the proper method to align the TPS?

born2lse

Before you start messing with the tps, have you confirmed the fuel pump is priming? You should be able to hear it prime under the driver side passenger seat when turning on the car.

Tacoma96

you can actually loosen the TPS mounting bolts and use a meter while engine running to get the rpms and reading in range..I marked mine before changing it, it alignment marks on the mounting faces, this is also in the haynes book as well as the FSM on this site, there's posts on here as well that explain the process as well as slowly moving it by hand. Also youtube vids as well..If you're planning on keeping the pathy..you're gonna need an OEM IACV eventually, when I changed mine and the TPS I didnt have to adjust it all, it's not that sensitive and a good direction with the fuel pump too, they can get clogged with sludge, leftovers settling in your gas tank-Good Luck!

EBiN5446

Hell, now I can't even find the keys. Are any of the interior parts in need by anyone? She's gotta go I cannot have her sitting where she is any longer gonna have to junk it. If anyone needs anything I may have it send me a PM and I can verify

born2lse

Thats unfortunate to hear. But at least these cars are a dime a dozen up here in NorCal, hopefully it's the same down there as well.

Tacoma96

dont give up!- i got locked out of mine, has power locks, had to get a lock-out kit for getting into the windows and such, and I only have one key..

EBiN5446

The truck is unlocked nothing valuable inside so no stress there, I do want to verify the fuel pump priming and I did find the keys. Other than the sound of the pump any other things to check while in the process? Best way to check for sludge buildup?

EBiN5446

I do not hear anything around the tank when putting the truck in on. There are other noises coming from the engine bay area that I can hear so it may be interfering with hearing...

Any other thoughts before I pull the trigger?

born2lse

Can you measure the incoming power wire voltage to the fuel pump to confirm? Should be white with a blue stripe. Might also be able to borrow a fuel pressure checking kit from an auto store.

If the fuel pump isn't receiving voltage then is most likely an issue with the anti-theft system. Can you confirm the returned ecu was your exact ecu?

You can also try running a wire directly from the battery to the fuel pump. If it primes and starts then the ecu they gave you probably wasn't your original ecu.

EBiN5446

If that is the case and they gave me a different ecu, is locksmith/dealer my options for programming? I have a strong feeling this may have happened based off of my experience with the repair shop. Will verify as soon as I have the opportunity

born2lse

You can buy a cable and program to do it yourself but I think it's about 100 for everything. If you only plan on doing it once then locksmith is your best option.

EBiN5446

Please tell me more about this cable and I will more than likely invest in that regardless. I like doing the work myself. I've looked before without luck have a Smith on the way for now, quicker than order and wait anyhow. But I'd still like to have the tool to do it I'ma ask the Smith too

born2lse

https://conceptzperformance.com/nissan- ... p_6250.php

Check with them to confirm if it's the right one, there's a couple versions depending on year.

EBiN5446

That cable does not allow for key programing. You need a box that plugs in the the obdii port. And according to the Smith you have to get a "pin code" from an outside source and invest $$$ into the equipment for it. Answers that I expected. Last call for anything anyone here may want out of the truck, PM me.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”