2001 QX4 head unit replacement inquiry

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
WINNIPEGS_MOST_WANTED
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

Thanks!

It took a long time to make. Worth it imo though...

Raptor_Qx4
Car: Qx4

slickroger wrote:connect them all to the ground except the illumination wire.

Wires #1&2

typically you would connect these wires together with my pioneer deck when my auto headlights come on my screen dims. But you have a sony deck if you hook up the illumination wire your volume will always jump to max volume when you try to turn it up, ive done it and it is very uncool. so just cover the ends of both and leave it as is.

the extra connector you have from the back of your factory deck is just the steering wheel controls. you can leave it as is or get an adaptor which allows you to retain those controls after installing a factory deck. i did it its awesome.

I disagree with the bad talk on the bose systems, im still using my bose speakers in my truck and they sound good. i dont have them playing any bass, i let my 2 12's do all of that.

you dont want to bypass the factory amps if your going to use the factory speakers because the factory speakers are only 2ohms and will blow your deck. you simply want the factory amps to turn on if your not getting any sound and that can be done using the amp remote like QXXX4 said earlier.

Good Luckcheck my thread you'll find more info there

I have a quick dumb question to ask. Im installing a deck and for the dimmer and illumination wires on the wire harness, you said to connect them together, so when when the auto lights activate the deck dims, is that correct? I got a pioneer mvh-8200bt. thanks for the help.

Raptor_Qx4
Car: Qx4

Oh i also made a sub box out of fibre glass into that compartment in the trunk area. When everything is done i'll post how i did everything to help out anyone else who needs it.

Carlsbad
Car: Infiniti QX4 2003

I just replaced my head unit on my 2003 QX4 with Bose and am extremely happy with the results. I am 56 so my ears aren't what they used to be but the sound quality is extremely improved. Vocals and instrumentals are clear as a winter night. I don't need the thumping bass that hip hop fans need but the base would have been considered very good in the rock and roll days. the digital sound is much improved over the original head unit that was mushy. I have a lifetime XM subscription so I installed a unit with built in XM controls (external tuner). I used the Bose amplifiers and speakers and was again, pleasantly surprised. I went with crutchfield and they supplied the mounting plate and antenna adapter for free. To adapt to the Bose system, you have to adapt to the bose proprietary inputs. I bought the adapter form crutchfield too. Adapter for the steering wheel controls was kindo pricey but worked great. Here is the complete list of what I installed:

Description QTY Price Billed
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X797 CD ReceiverIn Stock 1 209.99 209.99
Metra ASWC Auto Sensing Steering Wheel Cntrl Intrfc In Stock 1 79.99 79.99
SiriusXM SXV200V1 Satellite Radio TunerIn Stock 1 69.99 69.99
Posi-Products Connector Kit 16 pieces for Car Stereos In Stock 1 6.99 6.99
0000390022 NISS PATHFINDER 01- MS In Stock 1 0.00 0.00
120ASWCI Docuprint for 120ASWC In Stock 1 0.00 0.00
Nissan Pathfinder LE 2003-Up Kit E In Stock 1 0.00 0.00
Nissan Antenna Adapter Diversity antenna to Motorola M & F In Stock 1 0.00 0.00
OEM Amplifier Integration v.4 94-up Nissan/Infiniti In Stock 1 14.99 14.99
000SXMQ113 SiriusXM $50 MIR Q1 2013 1/1-3/31/2013 In Stock 1 0.00 0.00

Subtotal $381.95 Shipping FREE Sales Tax $0.00 Total $381.95
Payment:

Discover $381.95

I couldn't be happier with the results. Sorry I didn't take any pictures. just found this site today. I am driving this QX4 with 135,000 miles on it everywhere while my 2012 Acura with a $4000 tech package sits unused in the garage. LOL.

--Jerry

NismoPick
Car: 97 Infiniti QX4
00 BMW 528i E39
94 Geo Metro
87 Toyota Pickup
81 Datsun 280ZXT

Was your stock Bose head unit on the fritz? Or just decided to upgrade?

My front speakers / amps died, so now I only get mediocre sound from the rear. And FM stereo sound is horrible. I've wanted to swap head units, but I've read this thread several times and never wanted to replace all the speakers and run new wire.

I'll have to check out that "OEM Amplifier Integration"...

Carlsbad
Car: Infiniti QX4 2003

Are you sure it is the amp/speakers? It would be unusual for both to die at once unless there is a common cause. I would suspect the head unit.

I did my upgrade because the stock head unit didn't have a good way of inputting any of the following:

Sirius/XM
MP3 player/ipod
Phone system

any other auxiliary input.

So I didn't want to run any new wires either. I was skeptical about using the existing bose speakers/amps since I had heard people complain about poor sound quality when they tried to adapt the new head unit to the Bose proprietary input. But the crutchfield adapter worked great and the sound quality is excellent. Much better than the OEM head unit and mine was working fine.

So if your speakers/amps are indeed blown, I would advertise on the forum and try to buy the takeout amps/speakers from someone who has found it necessary to replace them.

Good luck,
Jerry

NismoPick
Car: 97 Infiniti QX4
00 BMW 528i E39
94 Geo Metro
87 Toyota Pickup
81 Datsun 280ZXT

So as I have been planning out my stereo / head unit replacement, I've seen all these cheap amp integration kits that connect to the OEM harness, and have RCA pre-amp inputs. I assume these would work, because this would be exactly like a subwoofer install... it only needs to send the power on & sound signals to the amps.

Thoughts?

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27312

http://www.ebay.com/itm/METRA-70-7551-N ... 0648252201

tstaup
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

Qxxx4 wrote:welcome to the forum! were always happy to help. It looks like you have the newer head units so im not sure if i can help you out.

I have a 99 qx4 with a slightly older headunit. I had troubles installing my aftermarket head unit due to no sound coming out of the factory speakers. The problem was my factory amp was not turning on. Im not sure where the factory amp is located in the older qx4's but its definately somewhere besides the head unit. I simply spliced the remote turn on wire from my new head unit to the one on the wiring harness that is in the vehicle, and it worked great.
I know this is an older post, but can you give me a step by step on how you got it to work?? I have a 99 also and my 6 CD change decided to take a dump. I have had a Kenwood that I have been neglecting and now I want to switch it out. I got a radio and vehicle harness because I am extremely novice, but have the third plug that no longer has a home and the unit won't power up whatsoever. Any detailed help would be great!

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Welcome to Nico!

If no one replies with a step by step, you can refer to the EL portion of the FSM, starting on page EL-141. That will tell you exactly where each wire on the plugs go and that will tell you what to tap into.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”