2 way lsd over welded? how big of a difference between the two?

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
redsx13
Car: 93 240sx 03 350z

im thinkin of going welded but is the 2 way lsd really that much better. it seems to me that because the 2 way locks up on acellaration and decellaration shouldnt it preform much like a welded at high speeds. the car is going to be most track (drift) driven.

yokota180sx
Car: 1997 Stagea RS4, r34 front

yes its bettertheres a reason they cost 900 bucsk

SPIRONIUM
Car: 240RS group 2

Better why?

Both have pros and cons, but If the car is for drifting, the welded diff seems to be the obvious way to go.

For all other racing its just a matter of preferance and driving style. Whatever works! If you have an option thats free then that should probably be the first place to start testing

A spool would be the ultimate diff for a drift car, it has the exact same effect as a welded diff, but it is lighter and the chance of failure is far reduced. It is essentialy just a chunk of metal that the side axles slip into.

yokota180sx

welded diff is the way to go because people are cheap

drive a car with a 2 way and one with a welded and you will understand

until you do, please dont comment

2ways are much more friendly, and arent stupid at breaking traction

SPIRONIUM

I have never drifted a 2-way.

But for a drift car a welded diff or a spool should allow the most predictability, it is just logical.

Mechanically, this just makes sense.

It has nothing to do with how expensive the part is, it is about which way it works or which way it does not work. I dont understand why you bring that into the equation

yokota180sx

2 way is hella more predictable

go find a car with one and drift with it

plus it locks and acell and decel, and you can change the amount etc etc

weldedyour screwed with tire chirping turns

Sleeksil80
Car: 89 Hatch with S13 front end, koki lights, full cusco suspension. GC8 RHD STI in progress

welded diffs usually dont hold up much. and its not feasible for daily driving since the car WILL break traction EVERY time you turn. this will cause you to get a lot of tickets. the 2 way eliminates this, and is much more driver friendly. no one who road races or drifts professionally runs welded diffs. theres a reason for this.

SPIRONIUM

Its all a matter of preferance. Everyone drives differently. I do believe that many professional drivers opt for spools, actually. A welded diff is a cheap mans spool.

I still stand behind a spool or welded diff being best for drifting, it does not make sense for any kind of diff that changes the amount of workload on each wheel on a whim to be more predictable than a solid internal diff that keeps the workload even at all times. I guess theres at least one person that would rather have the 2way for drift, yokota, so it is all preference then.

To op, try the welded first. The 2-way won't be worth it at all if you can get used to the welded quickly. If you can't/just don't like it, well its free or close to it so nothing is lost but your time. Good luck

Sleeksil80
Car: 89 Hatch with S13 front end, koki lights, full cusco suspension. GC8 RHD STI in progress

but if its not gonna be a track only car i still think the 2way would be best because it still allows for streetability when driving. you dont want to be peeling out every time you go through a corner...

yokota180sx

SPIRONIUM wrote:Its all a matter of preferance. Everyone drives differently. I do believe that many professional drivers opt for spools, actually. A welded diff is a cheap mans spool.

I still stand behind a spool or welded diff being best for drifting, it does not make sense for any kind of diff that changes the amount of workload on each wheel on a whim to be more predictable than a solid internal diff that keeps the workload even at all times. I guess theres at least one person that would rather have the 2way for drift, yokota, so it is all preference then.

To op, try the welded first. The 2-way won't be worth it at all if you can get used to the welded quickly. If you can't/just don't like it, well its free or close to it so nothing is lost but your time. Good luck
put it this wayif welded or spooled worked better

98% of the D1 and D1sl nad MSC nad other competition drivers her ein japan wouldnt be usingKaaz, Nismo, TRD, Cusco etc etc 2 way and 1.5 way diff.s

there is a reason everyone that matters uses a clutch type diff

SPIRONIUM

I get that, but advertising plays a huge roll in pro anything, you have to take that into account as well! I see kaaz, tomei, cusco stickers on soo many drift cars it could be sponsorship deals > preferance in many cases.
Modified by SPIRONIUM at 3:16 PM 8/16/2007

yokota180sx

no dudeat the trackeveryone runs it

everyone or a shimmed r200

People in japan would rather have a shimed diff than a welded diff

dlhS13
Car: 89 S13

If its for drift only you can get away with welding it. Ya i've hear they really don't hold up that well. Driving on the street I wouldn't want the wheels locked everytime I make a turn. You can do dounets a hole lot easier going slow. Then again its just doing a dounet.

SPIRONIUM

yokota180sx wrote:no dudeat the trackeveryone runs it
..ok? thats a good point

There is no proof that one is better than the other. I'm sure that there are people who swear by both welded(spool) and 2-way and this means nothing. Even if most people prefer 2-way it does not matter, everyone has their own driving style.

But on the other hand...since all the japanese people you know run a 2-way at the track, then that must be the best. You know, they are good at drifting, because they are japanese, so they would know

yokota180sx

I cant like explain in words why it is better

But a clutch type LSD is more adjustable, predicatable in all conditions, and less risk of grenading than a welded diff

Sleeksil80

ok, then lets see gather the reasons why an actual LSD is better than a welded diff:1) more dependable2) it can be rebuilt3) can be street driven4) more predictable

guess that sums it up.

SPIRONIUM

Did you consider the pros of a welded/or spool? Here, i'll take your template and adjust it for a spool:

Spool

1) more dependable than ANY other diff (no moving internals or friction discs)2) never needs to be rebuilt, unless a meteor hits it3) can be street driven (if you don't mind tire squeel in parking lots, wussy)4) predictability is up to the driver. A spool mechanically makes sense to be more predictable in my eyes5) lighter than any diff you can get

As for a welded, it CAN have the same characteristics as above, excluding #5. Depends on how well it is welded, its as simple as that. Many people on these forums have been running the same welded diff for 2+ years. A welded diff's number 5) would be price, instead of low weight though

An exploding welded diff is a concern, though. With garage engineering there is always some concern. The big negative of a welded would be the chance of failure if made incorrectly.

dlhS13

Right on with the template Spironium you couldn't say it better. And ya sick of everyone thinking Japanese are the best ya they started it but hell Americans built the car. I know they are great but they are just humans like us. It is skill not were your from.

Sleeksil80

not all 240's were fully built here in the states...both of the 240's that ive owned were produced in japan. *shrug* and ya, you can do a spool. its just not used very often. and for welding it depends on power and a lot of other inputs that we didnt dive into. Not a big fan of the welded, it goes against my nature to do something like that. my main concern is streetability. ive been pulled over here in cali for my exhaust, made me pop my hood and everything. If i was breaking traction constantly going around corners because of a welded or spooled diff i would be in constant trouble with the law. depending that might be a huge factor. i try and keep a low profile in so cal....

dlhS13

Didn't know that they imported them. Thought they all same from the plant here in America. Mine did so I thought they all did. I guess shipping on a boat is cheaper than on a train. But the whole Japanese drivers are better thinking has to stop.

yokota180sx

SPIRONIUM wrote:Did you consider the pros of a welded/or spool? Here, i'll take your template and adjust it for a spool:

Spool

1) more dependable than ANY other diff (no moving internals or friction discs)2) never needs to be rebuilt, unless a meteor hits it3) can be street driven (if you don't mind tire squeel in parking lots, wussy)4) predictability is up to the driver. A spool mechanically makes sense to be more predictable in my eyes5) lighter than any diff you can get

As for a welded, it CAN have the same characteristics as above, excluding #5. Depends on how well it is welded, its as simple as that. Many people on these forums have been running the same welded diff for 2+ years. A welded diff's number 5) would be price, instead of low weight though

An exploding welded diff is a concern, though. With garage engineering there is always some concern. The big negative of a welded would be the chance of failure if made incorrectly.
maybe im just thinking smarter than youBut dudeif my wife is in the cari dont want tires squealing and **** in a parking lot

thats hella ghetto as ****

SPIRONIUM

get some balls!!@

R6_240sx
Car: 1997 240SX LE, 2004 YZF-R6, 1980 Celica GT

To the OP: The only thing better about welding it vs lsd is price. THAT IS ALL. So, if you want to be ghetto (or on a budget) than weld it. I wouldn't recommend welded for daily use, but that's just me. Not only is it ghetto it's unpredictable.

Example of my friend understeering in rain: Not only that, but he got a ticket for doing a u-turn and the officer thought he was "drifting".

ArticDragon192
Car: 91 Z32 2+2

LOL@David!

babowc
Car: 240sx

this is the general consent.

if more people are running a certain item, theres usually a reason for it.it may be because its cheap.may be because its better.more effective.

etc. etc.

2way offers adjustability of breakaway torque.on the other hand, welded, is basically like a solid axle.

welded = 50 bux.2way = 500-900bux.

big differences.

autox615
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

some of you people are idiots. Sometimes I feel like grabbing some of you by the neck and shaking you to death,lol. Its obvious when people post on welded diffs and have never had one. Do not give people advise unless you have had personal expeirence. I have had a welded diff for about 3,000 miles, no problems. I have another friend of mine that has put easily 20,000 miles on hers and no problems. A welded diff only chirps turning at speeds under 20 mph. Other than that it feels the same on the street! If your racing grip it is not the way to go, why that has already been explained. I have a total of 50 bucks in my welded diff and I love it to death, its so much fun to drive. I also have a spare diff just in case something happens. For drifting its perfect, it might not be as predictable as a 2-way but I dont know!!!!!! As I have never had any kind of limited slip. With a aftermarket limted slip you can easily spend 1,000 bucks at a shop doing it right, checking clearences and etc.

R6_240sx
Car: 1997 240SX LE, 2004 YZF-R6, 1980 Celica GT

ArticDragon192 wrote:LOL@David!

0wn3r
Car: 1997 Nissan 240sx SE track car (SR20DET, caged)

raise your hand if you've actually tested both for a reasonable time. if you have your hand-raised, which one was worth it? i mean, REALLY worth it.

p.s. if your wife thinks you are ghetto by saving ~$700, i doubt she'll say that when you use the savings to buy her damn jewelry

yokota180sx

:raises hand:oh mememememmeme

i had a weldeda nismoa cuscoand a kaaz

2 way is the way to go mani loved it much betteri could adjust everything from accel lockup and decel lockup, no chirping in parkinglots looking like an idiot

2 way..is the way

babowc
Car: 240sx

Ive had welded.Had vlsd.drove on a 2way (ae86, dont know what co.)

welded really sucked major d!ck in parking lots.2way.. the owner didn't know how to adjust the breakaway tq., felt as close to a welded than adjustable.vlsd.. i run this on the daily.

by far, welded is cost effective.2way gives far more adjustability.never drifted on a 2way.. so i dunno.on welded, we all know how much easier it is to get sideways on it.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”