1UZFE S14A project

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
KAWhat
Car: 91 240sx

cation wrote:
Awesome! What year LS400 is it out of? If you intend on using the stock ECU and harness, I may be able to help you out with the wiring... that is once I get to the point of starting mine up and it actually works...
It's out of a 95. I think I might run the stock ECU for now. And thanks. Let me know when you get all the bugs worked out.

cation
Car: 00 E55 AMG,
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

Finished modifying some SC400 exhaust manifolds to fit the 240 this weekend. Also installed the intake and wire harness. With any luck this thing should run and drive next weekend. It's seems so close, yet so far...

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

It's ALIVE!

We probably woke up all the sleeping neighbors at about 9:30pm last night firing it up with open headers lol... A few loose ends to tie up later this week, but it will be off to the exhaust shop on Monday hopefully.

KAWhat, my wiring scheme seems to work so when you are to the point of wiring up the engine with the stock 1UZ ECU I have the diagrams to help you out if need be.

watty
Car: 1UZFE V8 powered s14a, 05 Titan LE CC, 03 G35 Sedan

AWESOME! Hurry up and get it on the road. I will be in Knoxville this weekend for the TN/AU game and might be able to find a moment to see it.

Watty

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

watty wrote:AWESOME! Hurry up and get it on the road. I will be in Knoxville this weekend for the TN/AU game and might be able to find a moment to see it.

Watty

Oh man, I would love to show you this thing, but it's in Morristown about 40 min away from Knox and I don't know if I can stand driving that long with open headers. The damn thing is LOUD right now! Tonight I will be finishing the radiator fans, clutch bleeding, brake bleeding, and buttoning everything back up. I expect it to be driveable by Thursday night if I get back the piece of my aluminum intake that is being welded on right now to accomodate the IACV.

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

Well I got the car to move under it's own power tonight after having some issues with clutch engagement and throwout bearing. Since the pressure plate from the MR2 is so much more shallow than that of the KA, the throwout bearing was over extending on the transmission input shaft aluminum snout and hanging up. It would travel fine when the engine wasn't running, but would hang up as soon as the clutch pedal was depressed and the engine started. I managed to un-snag it with a long screwdriver and discovered that if I put a clutch pedal stop to reduce the pedal travel by about a half an inch when fully depressed the throwout bearing wouldn't catch. I'm hoping that this will be adequate to drive the car long term. Only time will tell I suppose.

If I were to have everything apart again I would find a way to reduce the throwout bearing travel to make it closer to stock. A custom flywheel made to use the KA pressure plate comes to mind, but a custom flywheel is $$$. Other solutions that come to mind are a slightly thinner adapter plate, custom fabricating a throwout bearing sleeve to extend the bearing surface closer to the pressure plate relative to the lever arm, z32 pressure plate made to fit, and/or welding+machining an extension to the aluminum sleeve surrounding the input shaft.

Also note that I had to make a longer slave cylinder pushrod like Watty did. Mine is about 3/4" longer than stock. In my case the clutch absolutely would not work without it. When I first tried to engage the clutch with the stock rod it pushed the piston out of the slave cylinder. I'm starting to wonder if my pressure plate is slightly different in dimension to Watty's.

Anyways, it's something to look out for when attempting this swap.

Modified by cation at 8:56 PM 10/5/2009
Modified by cation at 9:04 PM 10/5/2009

mexicanracer03
Car: 95 S15FRONTEND SR20DET and 97 2JZ GT4294/ 93 SC300 Black/ 95 SC300 Green

wow Great power plant, and not so expensive.

Sorry but are you useing the stock ecu ??

and what track are you running at VIR in lonley a** Dainville
Modified by mexicanracer03 at 3:38 PM 10/7/2009

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

Well the problems continue...

The exhaust shop I took the car to royally screwed the pooch as far as craftsmanship and quality are concerned. The exhaust leaks and hangs no more than 1" from the ground so no going over speed bumps until I have it fixed. Also, they managed to botch up the throwout bearing on my clutch, so that needs to be fixed as well. I believe that when I replace the TO bearing I will add an extension on the TO bearing sleeve to preclude it from hanging up like it has been. With this clutch set up the TO bearing travels about 3/4"-1" farther than stock. I should be able to use the stock slave cylinder pushrod after I install the TO bearing extension/spacer as well. The car runs and drives fine on the stock ECU however I believe that my coil packs are tired and in need of replacement. The engine just does not have the power that it should and it's crackling and popping from the exhaust like you wouldn't believe when I let off the gas. A compression test revealed 180psi on all cylinders so I'm good there. I'll be replacing all ignition components like I should have in the first place this week and will post back with the results.

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

Finally got it running right today. Damned neutral switch pin on the ECU needed 12v, it's always something basic that gets overlooked. The car is a load of fun now! Woo hoo!!!

gaehrings13
Car: s14

Did you guys have to space the flywheel a little more toward the transmission at all?

I was thinking of doing this for a sc400 and using the ka tranny in the lexus.

I had a is300 transmission in my 1jz 240sx and its pretty close in length as the ka tranny. The ka tranny might be as long as a w58 so it might work in a sc400.

I understand how to make the adapter plate, but a little confused as to what you had to do for the flywheel.. Any machine work done to it?

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

gaehrings13 wrote:Did you guys have to space the flywheel a little more toward the transmission at all?

I was thinking of doing this for a sc400 and using the ka tranny in the lexus.

I had a is300 transmission in my 1jz 240sx and its pretty close in length as the ka tranny. The ka tranny might be as long as a w58 so it might work in a sc400.

I understand how to make the adapter plate, but a little confused as to what you had to do for the flywheel.. Any machine work done to it?
Yes. The bolt circle needs to be "expanded". Pictures are worth a thousand words.

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

Finito!

watty

Wow, that looks familiar! LOL

Really does look good. Great job and I know you are enjoying it.

Watty

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

watty wrote:Wow, that looks familiar! LOL

Really does look good. Great job and I know you are enjoying it.

Watty
Thanks for the kind words watty. I could not have pulled it off without your pioneering efforts and info. I'll have to take some shots of the re-worked exhaust as well, it looks completely stock until you hear it or look under the car.

mexicanracer03
Car: 95 S15FRONTEND SR20DET and 97 2JZ GT4294/ 93 SC300 Black/ 95 SC300 Green

Looks good any Vids ????????

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

mexicanracer03 wrote:Looks good any Vids ????????
No not yet. Hopefully soon.

drksolest
Car: 91 240sx coupe

Looks good!

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

drksolest wrote:Looks good!
Thanks! It's half man half shark with skin like aligator...

matt4pl
Car: cars, anything fast, graphic design, lots of stuff

so that $250 1uz is now in my possesion. it needs a bit of tlc and a few random parts t be complete. major items are alternator and ecu, and im replacing most wear items and seals for peace of mind.

i did subscribe to alldata for a 1st gen ls400 so wiring diagrams and specs and all that good jazz is available through me, or i can email someone files if they want t host em

watty

I have an ecu for you. It is from a '92 LS400. Just email me your address and I'll send it to you.

Watty

matt4pl

is your listed email still active, if so you've been emailed

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

These diagrams that I put together may help with your swap since the LS400 ECU connectors between the generations are virtually identical besides wire color.

How to get power from an S14 chassis to the right LS400 ECU pinouts:

Pretty self explanatory here:

Alternator Wiring:

Fuel Pump Wiring (painfully easy):

BTW I have a spare LS400 alternator off of a 96 model. Email me if you are interested.

Also if you have a hard time reading the diagrams, email me and I'll send a PDF copy to you.

matt4pl

emailed

yea, these diagrams are pretty helpful, less poking around and more to the point. i am all the emissions stuff while i'm at it, gotta pull the intake mani off anyway. engine is getting all new gaskets pretty much. when i get a chance to compile the engine harness diagrams i'll post a link to em too

one thing is, nissan wiring diagrams no longer apply to me lol
Modified by matt4pl at 8:02 AM 1/8/2010

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I just wanted to say a couple things. The swaps in this thread look great, like Greg said, could be from the damn factory. This thread is also friggin fantastic with the sharing of information. I don't think there is anything that hasn't been covered, I have no questions. I could go do this swap right now and use nothing but this thread for reference. I wish every tech thread on Nico would stay this updated and on topic.

WD

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

matt4pl wrote:emailed

yea, these diagrams are pretty helpful, less poking around and more to the point. i am all the emissions stuff while i'm at it, gotta pull the intake mani off anyway. engine is getting all new gaskets pretty much. when i get a chance to compile the engine harness diagrams i'll post a link to em too

one thing is, nissan wiring diagrams no longer apply to me lol

Modified by matt4pl at 8:02 AM 1/8/2010
Right on man! I've got another diagram that may help from a guy off of lextreme to wire up the ECU up from scratch. I'll upload it maybe tonight or sometime this weekend since photobucket is blocked here at work. If you are going to replace gaskets, you may as well replace the main, crank, and cam seals while you are at it. You should also replace the timing belt and idler pulleys as well. Ebay timing belt kits are fantastic for this purpose. It's inexpensive insurance if you ask me.

matt4pl

I'm getting a complete gasket set, new plugs, rotors, caps, and thermostat. Already got a timing belt kit with water pump and pulleys. Should be a pretty good refresh of the motor.

watty

matt4pl wrote:I'm getting a complete gasket set, new plugs, rotors, caps, and thermostat. Already got a timing belt kit with water pump and pulleys. Should be a pretty good refresh of the motor.
Hey, if you haven't bought one yet, don't buy a thermostat. I will through one in the box with the ecu. I picked up nine of them for $.40 a piece. It was a random closeout that I came across.
WDRacing wrote:I just wanted to say a couple things. The swaps in this thread look great, like Greg said, could be from the damn factory. This thread is also friggin fantastic with the sharing of information. I don't think there is anything that hasn't been covered, I have no questions. I could go do this swap right now and use nothing but this thread for reference. I wish every tech thread on Nico would stay this updated and on topic.

WD
I want to say thanks for the kind words and thanks to the other guys that are continuing this on.

Watty

watty

Also, if anybody is semi close to me and wants to pick up a car with this swap already done, my buddy is selling his. This is the second vehicle that we swapped after getting the bugs worked out on mine. He wants to work on his first car, a '66 Fairlane, and needs space at his house. He is looking for $9k give or take. If anyone is interested, just shoot me an email and I will get you in touch with him.

Watty

Here is some info and a few pics (He can't take a picture to save his life. lol):

matt4pl

both those swaps look immaculate, and that kouki is sick (i'm partial to nissan's white paint)

haven't bought a t-stat yet, so that would be awesome. Thanks a mil

cation
01 GMC Sierra SLT
S14 400sx (SOLD!)

WOW, that white Kouki is gorgeous!

Return to “Hybrids”