1UZFE S14A project

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
watty
Car: 1UZFE V8 powered s14a, 05 Titan LE CC, 03 G35 Sedan

The alternator is fixed and the car is on the road. I was a little worried this morning because it was running off of four cylinders. Turns out the wire controlling the second coil came loose from the connector. Now that's fixed and the car pulls hard.

As far as cost goes, I've got about $2000 in the whole thing including buying the motor. I did consider using the Z32 tranny, but I was going for a budget build and the KA tranny will hold the power of this motor. It runs very smooth and the peak torque isn't until 4400rpm. This helps in the "not breaking things" department. It is soooo quite. I can be at full throttle with the windows down and still hold a conversation.

If you are considering an M112, have you seen the kits that make it a straight bolt on affair? That motor will be amazing with a supercharger. You should be able to do about 8psi on the stock motor. That'll put you in the 450hp range give or take.

I am using the stock header on the passenger side and part of the one on the drivers side. From there we ran dual piping into a dual in single out Edelbrock muffler.

The cool thing is that with the A/C gone it weighs exactly the same as a KA. The handling is not comprimised at all. The whole project has been fairly easy for something of this caliber. We started at the beginning of July working one day a week on it, then about two days a week in August. This month we killed ourselves for two weeks before NOPI and then about four days since then. Now it is on the road just waiting for some more tuning. Right now I am hitting afr's of around 10.2 under full load. I'm shooting for afr's of around 12.5. This should free up some more power and make the response even quicker.

Check out my photobucket site. It will show you some more details of the build.http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q260/wattydchi/

Watty

Fla240sx

hows the throttle pedal feel?

when I drive the Lexus v8 cars the pedal feels verys tiff, I liken it to stepping on a brick, feels like a mercedes I hate it... I like a smooth easy to push down and modulate pedal....

is that just how the lexus pedal is designed or is that in the spring on the throttle body?

did u notice a difference between throttle pedal pressure before and after the swap? do u hate it? I wonder if a spring modifcation on the throttle body could cure it.... I'd like this idea a lot more if I could change that...

these engines are cheap and buttery smooth! Plus they hold as much or more power then a 2jz!

ShootToKill
Car: S13

just wondering, what is the breaking point for the ka tranny hp/trq wise? and your running a mega squirt right, how hard was it to get everything right. i need to figure out what i am going to run for a ecu/ ems/ wtf/ we. i just ordered the sc toady, eaton m112 with a port and polish job supposedly supposed to add like 30-50hp, came off an 04 cobra and cost me 800. and the bolt on kits are great but i can build a manifold for cheaper. and i am going to be running 500cc injectors from an rx7. i'm gonna play with the screws once i get the sc, see if i can get them to flow a few more cfm. ooo... this is gonna be funn!!!

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

If you don't run slicks and avoid speed shifting then the KA tranny will hold down 500WHP under normal driving.

The R200 rear is basically indestructable. Ivan estimates 1000 at the crank and he launches at 6000+ rpm. That is stalled through a TH400 IIRC though.

WD

watty

Fla240sx wrote:hows the throttle pedal feel?

when I drive the Lexus v8 cars the pedal feels verys tiff, I liken it to stepping on a brick, feels like a mercedes I hate it... I like a smooth easy to push down and modulate pedal....
The throttle pedal feels just like a stock 240. I have also noticed that automatic cars tend to have a stiffer gas pedal. Maybe it's just me. We also made a new push rod for the clutch slave cylinder which makes the clutch feel like the stock KA.
ShootToKill wrote:just wondering, what is the breaking point for the ka tranny hp/trq wise? and your running a mega squirt right, how hard was it to get everything right. i need to figure out what i am going to run for a ecu/ ems/ wtf/ we. i just ordered the sc toady, eaton m112 with a port and polish job supposedly supposed to add like 30-50hp, came off an 04 cobra and cost me 800. and the bolt on kits are great but i can build a manifold for cheaper. and i am going to be running 500cc injectors from an rx7. i'm gonna play with the screws once i get the sc, see if i can get them to flow a few more cfm. ooo... this is gonna be funn!!!
Megasquirt has been fairly easy to set up. Most of the complications came from the board being set for an optical sensor and having to reset the jumpers for vr. Megasquirt makes way more sense after you start playing with it. I do recommend buying an extra igniter or two because if you flash the firmware without unplugging the coils, you will split one or both into two or more pieces. It is quite impressive actually. I have a base file to start from that will make life easier. This will help with some of the basic settings.

Sounds cool on the s/c setup. 500cc injectors seem a bit large to me off the top of my head, but you will have plenty of room to go up. Be sure to check the rear bearings in the supercharger. I've known of several that have had rear bearing failure.

Watty
Modified by wattydchi at 6:53 PM 6/4/2008

ShootToKill

well it has less than 10k miles on it, but will do. i have had some experience with wiend 8-71 14'' and 16'' s/c's when i was younger on some of my dads cars. well i will definatly be keeping in touch with you. and did i mention that this car is going to be used for drifting not drag racing, so thats why i want to know the breaking points of ka tranny's. banging 450 hp at 6k at full lock is not easy on a tranny. i'm trying to keep the car well balanced in terms of tuning, but the car that i am getting for the swap, already has breaks taken care of some what, now just need suspension, and the drive train. few more questions while i am thinking of them. what clutch disk did you use, stock or upgraded? what pressure plate are you using, stock or upgraded? still running the stock drive shaft?

watty

Sounds good. I am using an exedy Z32 clutch disc. It is close to stock, but seemed a little better quality. The clutch plate is a stock MR2 pressure plate. I will upgrade these at a later date. I just didn't see the need right now at this power level. I am also using the stock driveshaft. The power characteristics of the 1UZ make it easy to keep all of the stock stuff. It is a very balanced engine that gives very little vibration even though I almost have it solid mounted. And the torque is smooth and doesn't fully come in until about 4400rpm. It is nice to have full torque right after shifting. The car really comes alive when shifting into second gear.

Just shoot me an email if you want to talk about anything.

Watty

ShootToKill

will do once i start getting into this i'll probally be asking for some help with the mega squirt, i'm about as useful with wiring as another hole in the head.

j-z
Car: 95 240sx

awesome man, thanks for those pics.... thats exactly how i visioned the adapter looking. sucks i dont have a plasma cutter though... im going to have to buy ALOT of cutoff wheels! lol. turned out nice though. i want to see the custom bushing you had made for the output shaft of the crank to accept the input shaft of the tranny. good work man!

Reno
Car: 89 S13, boosted.. RAWR..

Bump Foo!

sleepyS14
Car: 1997 Nissan 240SX 2JZ30DETT, 2006 SAABaru 9-2X AERO

im soo jealous of all that space you have between your engine and radiator...

AND YOU HAVE A V8!!

g'damn.

bump for another Toyo engine in a Kouki Monster

watty

sleepyS14 wrote:im soo jealous of all that space you have between your engine and radiator...

AND YOU HAVE A V8!!

g'damn.

bump for another Toyo engine in a Kouki Monster
I could have another 3" if I wanted to move the KA tranny and make a driveshaft.

I just got back from the dragstrip. My best time was a 9.12s 1/8th mile. It is kinda hard to drag race without a working tach. I guess I will have to get around to building the tach circuit.

I also need to replace the rear struts that have 112,000 miles on them. Wheel hop sucks! Oh well, with some more tuning and some chassis work I should be in the 8's pretty easily.

Watty

T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

I have been trying to talk my friend into putting the 1UZ in his supra for some time now. Maybe this thread will help.

We are really looking for a 3UZ but finding one of those under $5k is friggin impossible.

watty

T45 wrote:I have been trying to talk my friend into putting the 1UZ in his supra for some time now. Maybe this thread will help.

We are really looking for a 3UZ but finding one of those under $5k is friggin impossible.
What are you going to do with the 3UZ? Remember, the 3UZ has the smallest rods out of any of them and doesn't like a lot of boost. If you plan on replacing internals anyway, I would just go with the cheaper 1UZ and put the extra money into the valve train and cams. I agree that the 3UZ has the better design and displacement, but at some point the price just isn't worth it. Plus you have to control the variable valve timing. My $.02.

If you need anything, feel free to shoot me an email. [email protected]

Watty

Reno

Bump?

Blown240sx
Car: 1996 240sx

Still waiting for a video and I would like to see the header clearance.

Onelov3 s13
Car: s13 coupe

VERY NICE ....i was wonder wat year was the MR2 that u got the flywheel??...and how can i get my hands on some of those moter mounts??...

thanxMiran

watty

Blown240sx wrote:Still waiting for a video and I would like to see the header clearance.
I still don't have a video camera, but as soon as I can figure out how to get some descent video, I will definitely put it up.

I'll see what I can do about some pics of the header clearance this weekend. It's been kinda cold so the motivation level has been down. I need a heated garage.

This Spring expect some good updates. I will be doing some clean up in the engine bay plus preparing to do another swap at the beginning of summer.
Onelov3 s13 wrote:VERY NICE ....i was wonder wat year was the MR2 that u got the flywheel??...and how can i get my hands on some of those moter mounts??...

thanxMiran
I used a 92 MR2 flywheel. I'm pretty sure that any 3S-GTE flywheel will work after it has been machined.I talked to my friend and he said he can do a set of motor mounts for about $60. That's with all of the hardware. You would still have to drill out the factory motor mount a little to make room for the oversize hardware.

Watty

SlowRedTop
Car: S13, 280z

Very nice!

Onelov3 s13

wattydchi wrote:
I still don't have a video camera, but as soon as I can figure out how to get some descent video, I will definitely put it up.

I'll see what I can do about some pics of the header clearance this weekend. It's been kinda cold so the motivation level has been down. I need a heated garage.

This Spring expect some good updates. I will be doing some clean up in the engine bay plus preparing to do another swap at the beginning of summer.

I used a 92 MR2 flywheel. I'm pretty sure that any 3S-GTE flywheel will work after it has been machined.I talked to my friend and he said he can do a set of motor mounts for about $60. That's with all of the hardware. You would still have to drill out the factory motor mount a little to make room for the oversize hardware.

Watty
BADASS....email me so we can talk about to send u the money and one more thing can u make 1 more tranny adapter??....

watty

Onelov3 s13 wrote:
BADASS....email me so we can talk about to send u the money and one more thing can u make 1 more tranny adapter??....
I am in the middle of talking to the machinists about getting the motor mounts organized. It will be next week before they can get those out due to my metal being in a different city. I typically use paypal for money transfer. [email protected]

As far as the tranny adapter goes, I forgot to make a template for the stud locations. It is really easy. You just put the transmission up there and mark the plate through the holes on the tranny. I will be making a template when we do the next swap, but that won't be until this summer. We could probably work it out of you are willing to drill and tap your own holes for the studs. I will make all of the studs and probably include the tap. I will also include the pilot bushing adapter that is very important. It has to be turned on a lathe with a .001" taper to fit properly. I'm not sure how much that would be since there is quite a bit of machine time in those parts. I would think around $300 would probably be close.

The guy that we are doing it for already has his Megasquirt and unterminated harness put together for the 1UZFE. He may be interested in selling it and making another.

Jason Watson (Watty)

Onelov3 s13

okay ill send it to u in 4 days...kool?

watty

That works.

Watty

Onelov3 s13

ooh do u know the dimensions of the motor mount??..

watty

Which way?

I have them all in the computer at the shop. It is roughly 3" forward of where the 240 crossmember mount is and about 1.75" up from that same plane. Sorry if those are vague, It is sorta hard to describe. You should have seen how many times I had to draw it when I came up with the design to explain it to other people. It is a really simple yet effective design.

Watty

Onelov3 s13

i was reading some stuff u was say and u said that "the swaybar and oil pan are not getting alone" how did u make that work out?...

watty

Onelov3 s13 wrote:i was reading some stuff u was say and u said that "the swaybar and oil pan are not getting along" how did u make that work out?...
I haven't bothered to fix that yet. I am waiting for Spring to clean up a lot of my loose ends. I've drawn out the fix for the swaybar on the whiteboard. I am going to cut the sway bar and shift the center section out about 2.5" to clear. I did the math to make sure all of the moment arms are equal and to not over stress to steel plate I'm going to use. I need to remeasure and make sure that I can move the piece out and keep my spacer perpendicular to the axis of the bar.

Watty

Onelov3 s13

hey man im going to get the tranny adapter and the motor mount together so just let me know when there ready for me to pay u or just Email me.......

ThanxMiran

watty

I'll shoot you an email.

ThanksWatty

Reno

Return to “Hybrids”