1999 q45 suspension. Also new here!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Reventional
Car: 1999 Infiniti q45

Hello, i had just aquired a q45 for my first time ever last spring and have finally decided i need help! Im very mechanically inclined (also a master in the MacGyver method) but trying to replace all the parts broken on this car seems almost impossible with all my searches for parts turning up at 2 ends, 1 of which is tons and tons of $$$ and the other being finding nothing, i was lucky to get to attack a 98 q45 in a junk yard once before it got crushed but haven't come across any since. My issue is it has 1 broken front spring ( replaced one of the springs ) guessing the shocks themselves are most definitely worthless and the rears are bottomed out as far as to flattened the bushing entirely soon to bust the bolt I'm sure. I have a few questions about the suspension system in the 1999 q45, so iv read everywhere I'm pretty much boned unless I want to buy OEM or Specials from Japan, for the front. But for the rear I was wandering around the junk yard and was looking at multiple imports and couldn't help but come across quite a few struts that looked identical to the rears, none of which were even Infiniti. (2 bolts for the top and the one for bottom) Does anyone know or vehicle that would have the same rear struts? As this is my only vehicle and can't afford to just sell it as my buy another I'm here to see if anyone else has some input before I tear my rears out measure a TON and then also drag it out there and try to find the closest match.
(This is one of many a posts to come I feel...)

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO!

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about your series of Q will come along shortly. I'm not aware of any drop-in replacements for your rear shocks, but maybe?

Reventional

Thanks, I kept looking stuff up for the car and almost everyone I ended up here so I decided to see if maybe I should I should just ask the questions myself. I don't need to create a race car but would love to give this old beasty some life back but wondering if I'm just a little too stretched on projects to afford this one. Again not even after a direct match I would like a tad stiffer ride then the stock I'm guessing by what if read (70mph on the highway gets fun...) so even if I went with these others if the bolting patterns are all the same would I want more spring over the shock or less spring? A ton of simple questions like that is what I have.

QFourFive
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45/ Cima Y33

S14 240sx is bolt in for the rear

Reventional

Heck Yeah! Instant success. So now for front end, what should I be on the hunt for? Also the air intake (airbox to intake) that crazy set of black crap seems like a waste of time and great way to have all the air heated before it even gets close.

my12by60

Here's a guy on Phoenix craigslist with a bunch of 240sx parts. He is showing rear coilovers for sale. Don't know if those will fit for you or not. You will have to wait for confirmation from the gurus here.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/5685162507.html

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

The second Gen has little support in the aftermarket. There are very few options left, the KYB SR Specials used to be made in Japan but they are not available anymore, stopped making them. They were great but had a very limited service life, mine went 40k and I l blew out a front one and couldn't find a replacement. I ended up doing BC Coilovers which are a mixed blessing. The good, the car handles UNREAL, seriously I have scared my friends that own BMW's and Audi's on how hard I can corner the car with amazing control. The bad is they ride ROUGH, even on the lowest setting. I am totally used to it. They are also $$$$$ but very high quality.

The only other real options you have are to go back to OEM or search high and low for the SR Specials. There was a guy on eBay selling 2 fronts for $500 and now in retrospect I wish I had bought them from him. The introduction of the BC's forced me to create adjustable tension rods (mod'ed from S13's by my mechanic) which give you an amazing alignment and even better handling, but overall i spent way too much on this project and $500 into the SR's would have been a better choice. I was only going to keep the car another year or two, but now i have to get another 4 just to make me feel like I didn't throw money down the drain.

If you have some Japanese connections you might find some SR Specials and Espelir lower springs hanging out in a Tokyo shop somewhere. I did this mod to my 1997 in 2003 and it lasted until 2015 with only the 40k but I drove it hard.

Reventional

Hmm, so for the front I am stuck finding expensive or rare, any well known mods for switching the front end? Im not after performance at this point then, just survivability and safety on the road. I'm just going to do the s14 240sx bolt ins for the rear.

Reventional

Also any warning on removing all the bs air intake?

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

I haven't heard of anybody removing it. Not sure what performance gains you'd find doing so. The car while not a powerhouse is very well put together and the engine when in good shape run very very nicely. I have had people comment that that it is the smoothest revving engine they have seen.

QFourFive

I have 240sx coilovers in front, but in order to run these I have custom camber plates, brake line bracket, sway bar bracket, s14 ball joint, and s14 tie rod end.

QFourFive

Oh and also s14 spindles drilled out to fit the Q45 caliper bolt.

Reventional

How's your ride? Comfy yet aggressive?

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

You may as well buy the B/C coilovers or find some Megan or Insurance ones. I paid for brand new ones, but there is another post there from someone that found the insurance ones for $600 bucks. I looked and the Megan's are $1200 but DO NOT fit on touring model (if you have a Q45t like I do) and the B/C's where the only option. The car handles like crazy, I also had to put adjustable tension rods on (customized to fit from S13) to get the car into alignment.

If you don't mind a stiff ride this makes the car handle like a motha.....but the limo ride is gone.

footballhockey04
Car: 1994 infiniti Q45

Reventional wrote:Hello, i had just aquired a q45 for my first time ever last spring and have finally decided i need help! Im very mechanically inclined (also a master in the MacGyver method) but trying to replace all the parts broken on this car seems almost impossible with all my searches for parts turning up at 2 ends, 1 of which is tons and tons of $$$ and the other being finding nothing, i was lucky to get to attack a 98 q45 in a junk yard once before it got crushed but haven't come across any since. My issue is it has 1 broken front spring ( replaced one of the springs ) guessing the shocks themselves are most definitely worthless and the rears are bottomed out as far as to flattened the bushing entirely soon to bust the bolt I'm sure. I have a few questions about the suspension system in the 1999 q45, so iv read everywhere I'm pretty much boned unless I want to buy OEM or Specials from Japan, for the front. But for the rear I was wandering around the junk yard and was looking at multiple imports and couldn't help but come across quite a few struts that looked identical to the rears, none of which were even Infiniti. (2 bolts for the top and the one for bottom) Does anyone know or vehicle that would have the same rear struts? As this is my only vehicle and can't afford to just sell it as my buy another I'm here to see if anyone else has some input before I tear my rears out measure a TON and then also drag it out there and try to find the closest match.
(This is one of many a posts to come I feel...)
I have a set of K Sports that have, if even, 3k on them I'm looking to sell them dirt cheap. They fit my 94 but I sold it with the tokico blues on it. PM me if you're intrested.

Thanks,
Josh

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

The coilovers from a 94' will not fit on 2nd Gen Q45 unfortunately. Put them up for sale, the 1st Gen people are screwed too for suspension parts and I am sure someone will pick them up.

chipahoy
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45T, 250,000k

if its not a T model the struts are a pretty easy find on ebay.

Zeddie408
Car: Infiniti Q45t

Hello are you still here I have a question I just got my q45t and don’t know if the bc coils with the spindle would work with out modifications

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”