1996 J30 Timing Belt installation question.

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
whatchagonnado
Car: 1996 Infiniti J30

Decided to put the new belt on while waiting for my crankshaft pulley getting repaired. Gates belt and new idler pulley kit.

100% sure TDC & all cam marks lined up prior to old belt removal. Checked again today just prior to installing the new belt. Crankshaft sprocket mark dead on. Left bank Exhaust & Intake cams lined up perfect. Then the problem.

The timing marks on the right bank cams are off by one cog, one cog short on the timing mark. The cam timing marks remain lined up with the mark on the engine as when I removed old belt.

I decided to count the cogs on the belt to see if they matched to Service Manual. Everything matched perfectly.

I have experience with double cams but first time with four cam TB installing. Am I doing it right? Setting the crankshaft gear first then moving up to the left bank (looking at the front of engine) then moving to the right bank.

I thought about removing the top idler gear then installing it after the four cams are installed.. I tried pulling the belt enough to get the cog over the right bank mark but no stretch at all. The tensioner clearance is 4mm but have not got the belt that far yet.

I have seen videos of double cam installs where the one cam was rolled over enough to line up the mark then roll it back to initial timing mark. That makes me nervous and not sure if the valves will stay in time. I am going to put this assembly on hold until I hopefully hear something solving my install question. thanks in advance

squeefoo
Car: 1990 Q45, 1994 Maxima SE, 1999 I30, 2003 Maxima Titanium, 2006 Xterra Off Road, 2012 G37XS!

I think the cam tension moved it over night. (?) It's happened to me.
I made a wedge out of maple and tapped it in gently just enough to hold the cam in place until the belt was on once.
I'd take the tensioner off first then see if the belt pulls them into place once the tensioner is back on. Then try the above
Hope this helps FWIW.

squeefoo
Car: 1990 Q45, 1994 Maxima SE, 1999 I30, 2003 Maxima Titanium, 2006 Xterra Off Road, 2012 G37XS!

whatchagonnado
Car: 1996 Infiniti J30

thank you for the reply SQUEEFOO. Sorry I did not see until today that I did not reply to your suggestion. I did not use it but did see another post on a youtube video using a spring clamp on the cams. I had some in my shop for when I clamp wood pieces for gluing. The timing belt install was finally completed just minutes before I suffered a nervous breakdown. I hope to never have to do another one.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”