1993 J30 Running Issue

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

check your pcv valves...there are two....if theyre totally clogged, they will stall out the car
also your egr tubes might be clogged....
just random thoughts.....

macgiver

mac , yeah fourdrinie ,I just looked that up , it's on my car too - comes from a P.R.V.R. solenoid (Pressure Regulator Vacuum Relief solenoid) going under pass. side snorkel 10" near T/Body .Ya gotta try everything but , not to be crass , mine has come off repeatedly ( although I don't have an EGR -not Callie -Callie w/egr more complex?) And I never knew what it did ,for no performance difference ,in my case, connected vs fallen off :rotfl But he's gotta eliminate all this "easy stuff" ?? :laugh:
G T 2/23/2018

macgiver

mac , yeah fourdrinie ,I just looked that up , it's on my car too - comes from a P.R.V.R. solenoid (Pressure Regulator Vacuum Relief solenoid) going under pass. side snorkel 10" near T/Body .Ya gotta try everything but , not to be crass , mine has come off repeatedly ( although I don't have an EGR -not Callie -Callie w/egr more complex?) And I never knew what it did ,for no performance difference ,in my case, connected vs fallen off :rotfl But he's gotta eliminate all this "easy stuff" ?? :laugh:
G T 2/23/2018

fourdrinie

The car always starts when cold, runs for 5-10 minutes then dies when warm, fails to restart, but when cold again it starts....
my new intuition says something is clogged and choking off the car when warm.... when it's cold, it starts, runs until warm
Does this car have an EGR valve in the back of the engine against the firewall?
If when it does start, can you push the diaphragm up in the EGR valve? (hard to reach, but doable)
If it does stall out, when pushed up, it's working, if it doesn't change rpm when you move it, sounds like it's/or the EGR tubes are clogged. Some vacuum is getting through at first, but after awhile the vacuum stops....then it stalls.....
just a thought.

RapidJim

Vacuum lines are good, tps checks out as good with an ohm meter, power to tps is good.

RapidJim

Starting backwards, timing is at 10 degrees, manual calls for 15 +- 2 degrees. So it is off,, don't think enough to cause an issue, however I loosened the 3 bolts and can not get the crankshaft (camshaft) position sensor to rotate. I am beginning to hate this car!!!!!!!

fourdrinie

probably hasn't been moved in decades, gently tap it with a mallet...if not, beat on it...just kidding!

RapidJim

Well tapping does not do it. I have looked in the FSM and can not locate anything about remove and replace. I did find when removed you can check that it causes the injectors to fire, so that 3 degrees out of tolerance may be an issue causing possible flooding????? Problem is it will not move, not sure how to remove and if it needs to be clocked once it is removed.

fourdrinie

if you put matchmarks on the body and the part...so when you remove it you can put it back in the same place...
take out the screws, it should just pull off...

TurboRev
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2015 Infinti Q50

I know you drained the gas, but did you change your fuel filter too? http://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/parts/ ... l=&Filter=()

RapidJim

Adjusting the timing did not do a thing as I expected, but had to try. At this point I would like to thank all of you that gave me great advise. At this point I have to weight more money or cutting my losses and junk it.

macgiver

mac , maybe as it enters "closed loop" the O2's are so outa whack and /or possible debris on them & the CATS.
Ya oughtta try , as you had the ECM out - there's that "mixture test" ,of the O2's function at I believe 2000 RPM utilizing a REVERSE twist of the ECM "turn-screw" - it's in the FSM , spec. procedure.And you hold that RPM under a set time while observing the LED's flashing code - it's actually very easy to do - don't put that ECM back under the kick panel yet ! :yesnod GT 3/6/2018

GerryO
Car: 1993 J30t
Pearl White
Black Interior

Fully agree with the vacuum leak diagnosis.

My J30t had been running perfectly, before I parked it for a very long time.
Was preparing to go after the old bad gasoline thing at one point.
Using the idle adjustment screw, I finally was able to increase the idle speed to a point where the engine would start and keep running, no matter what.

Replaced a suspect hose or two and things got better and just about back to normal, with the idle speed adjustment screw turned back down.
Now I need to chase down what I suspect is a much smaller vacuum leak, one that only effects things after the engine is fully warmed up.
Suppose it could even be brake booster or hose related...

Based on experiences with a dirty MAF, a dirty one will also cause slight stumbling at shift points and violent "bucking" at highway speeds, pretty much anytime the engine needs more fuel than it is getting, when the throttle plates are nearly closed and it "thinks" the volumes of air passing through it are less than what they actually are, causing the air fuel mixture to lean out.

fourdrinie

Hey GerryO, good to see you post again....still living in the South Bay?

Maybe hook up a vacuum gauge, see how it fluctuates...if it's a vacuum leak it will fluctuate rapidly between 15-20 psi at idle...with 20 being optimal.

GerryO
Car: 1993 J30t
Pearl White
Black Interior

Sort of... Just can't let go of the J30t, at least until I've fixed everything on it, and need to have my son get his cars out of the way, before I bring it home again.

Who knows what damage I'm doing to it, by just letting it sit so much.

Thank you very much for the vacuum gauge info!

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”