1991 Q45 Injector Misfire and replacement

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
StitchedQ
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45

Alright, got all 8 new/reman'd injectors installed but had a couple questions:

1. After seating the injector in the rail, when you go to install the injector cap, is it normal for the cap to sit 1-2mm away from the flange on the rail. Once you install the bolts and tighten it, the flange goes flush and it seems to tighten normally (is this just the rubber grommet in the cap compressing?). Wanted to make sure it wasn't indicating the injector wasn't fully seated, but I couldn't get them to move anymore.

2. Installing the fuel rail (with new fuel pressure hoses), the mounting tabs for the rail seem pretty high (maybe 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch) after installing the plastic spacers and the injectors just kind of sit on the insulators, but the mounting tabs are still some distance away from being flat. I haven't tightened them down yet as it was getting late and wanted another opinion. I assume, once I start tightening the rail mounts, the injectors will press into the insulators to make up the clearance i'm seeing?

Also, I did pressurize the rail after installation of the injectors. I cycled the pump on/off at least 10 times to make sure the rail was pressurized and there weren't any leaks. I saw one drop of fuel come out of one of the injector's pintle on first pump priming, but it never did it again

StitchedQ
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45

Well for anyone with these same questions, the answers are:

1. This is normal. The caps will sit 1-2mm off the injector, but once you tighten the screws down, it will seat. Its just the inner seal compressing

2. The injectors will sit deeper inside the insulators once the rail is torqued for a proper seal. I didn't look at this too much before disassembly so I wasn't sure. I will add, make sure the injectors are orientated properly and then snug up the rails to hold the injectors in place. I also used small amounts of silicone lubricant (I have some from Nissan directly) around the injector body where it met the seal so the injector wouldn't catch or get stuck on the insulator as you torqued the rails down

As an update though, IT RUNS, no more misfire. It idles good and accelerates decently (didn't get too hard on it, wanting to do an oil change first since its still got the original oil, but wanted to warm up the engine and get a heat cycle through it).

Hopefully now I can start doing fun things with it now, instead of maintenance and fixing misfires. Next project will be welding up a custom exhaust, since the stock one has a pretty big hole in it and due to the multiple bad injectors, wouldn't be surprised if the exhaust is restricted or the catalyst(s) came apart

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”