1990 Stanza clutch problem

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
nopeda
Car: 1990 Nissan Stanza

It's a manual clutch and the problem is not consistent. For a long time it was sort of consistent. I could bleed it and it would be better after pumping it a few times, but then it would lose pressure after a couple of shifts. If I kept pumping it up I could drive, but had to stop and bleed it every once in a while even on short trips. Then I learned that the wrong type of cap was on the reservoir and after replacing it it does considerably better. Still it gets soft sometimes and I have to bleed it, but sometime after getting some air out of the line it works pretty well and on some trips I don't have to bleed it at all. Since it's inconsistent and the cap made such a difference, does that mean the problem is probably in the master cylinder itself and not in the lines? If so, is it as easy as it appears to be to change the cylinder? It looks like just a couple of bolts holding it and the connection to the line. Is that all there is to it or is there something that will make it hard that I haven't noticed?

Thanks for any help!
David

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

If you are not losing any fluid i would suspect your clutch master cylinder is on it's way out. If you replace it i would suggest you replace the slave cylinder also.The parts are very inexpensive.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

sx moneypit wrote:If you are not losing any fluid i would suspect your clutch master cylinder is on it's way out. If you replace it i would suggest you replace the slave cylinder also.The parts are very inexpensive.
:yesnod

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”