1989 Maxima starting problem / fuel pump access

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
aae817
Car: 1989 Nissan Maxima

I have a 1989 Maxima base model. It was running just fine but then sat for a couple of years. I want to get it running again. I changed the oil, fuel filter, plugs, and emptied the gas. After adding about three gallons of gas it sounds like it wants to start but can't quite get there. I am suspecting the fuel pump but not sure how to access it. In later models I have seen access from under the back seat, but in the 1989 the seat doesn't have the same release clips the later models have. Do you have to drop the fuel tank, or is there access from the back seat? Any help or ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Toeknee
Car: 1989 Nissan Maxima GXE/Bose 3.0L

Did you every figure it out? Back seat should pull up and out. Also can take the floor out of trunk. Cant remember which it is under. I have a '89 also.

aae817
Car: 1989 Nissan Maxima

Toeknee wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:36 pm
Did you every figure it out? Back seat should pull up and out. Also can take the floor out of trunk. Cant remember which it is under. I have a '89 also.
Thank you, Toeknee. Yes, it turns out the seat was just really stuck (never been removed)...right as I thought I was about to break something it came up. This only exposed half of the fuel pump access. I had to take out both what you sit on what your back leans up against to have full access to the fuel pump. Just for the record it required a Delphi FE0337 Electric Fuel Pump Motor. I replaced it (fairly simple) but had problems re-installing the whole assembly...it just didn't seem to sit back down properly...strange...I thought it would just slip right back in. The car started up after just a couple of trys...BUT...the fuel gauge wasn't working. I'm sure its because it didn't set down properly. I think the float is bound up on something. I still have to go back in and fiddle with it to see if I can get it working...but the car is running! Thank you for replying.

Toeknee
Car: 1989 Nissan Maxima GXE/Bose 3.0L

You are welcome! Hope you get it figured out! I bought a service manual and wiring diagram books so I could work on mine.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”