1966 520 driveshaft question

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
velocejoe
Car: 1966 post-October 520 pickup

I got my truck with the driveshaft already taken out. Replaced clutch by removing tranny also. Re-used orignal pressure plate and throwout bearing (I know, but both tested good.) During installation, I found that the drive shaft has little play once bolted up, but when I initially pushed it into the tranny, it bottomed out, but in order to connect it to the flange on the diff., I had to pull it back out about 1 inch. Is this normal? The old wear markings on the outside input side of the driveshaft ran clean down next to the base where it set against the oil seal. Now it appears that that original oil seal wear line is about 1 inch out from end of the tranny. I do not know how it looked before disassembly, so I'm trying to make sure I'm good. Did the driveshaft come with any collars or "spacers" that I may be missing? Tranny mouted up fine, engine mounts were never taken loose, so I am not sure what might have caused the extra 1 inch, but maybe it was like that before, but judging from the wear, it appears it was bottomed out before, and not sitting the extra 1 inch out from the tranny like it is now. Thanks alot.

RBpowersilvia
Car: 1995 Nissan Silvia

do you think a S14 DS will fit on there?

velocejoe
Car: 1966 post-October 520 pickup

What is an S14? What does that engine fit?

I don't think that is necessary for this problem. I'm just trying to figure out why the difference between before removal and now. Maybe the driveshaft has a collar or something I am missing? I don't beleive so, just trying to be safe. I am cranking this thing up on Monday...rain here for four more days:( I feel things should be fine, just being as safe as I can. Thanks for the reply though!

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

velocejoe wrote:What is an S14? What does that engine fit?

I don't think that is necessary for this problem. I'm just trying to figure out why the difference between before removal and now. Maybe the driveshaft has a collar or something I am missing? I don't beleive so, just trying to be safe. I am cranking this thing up on Monday...rain here for four more days:( I feel things should be fine, just being as safe as I can. Thanks for the reply though!
An S14 is a 240sx.

65dodge
Car: 67 datsun 520, 65 dodge

you are fine the 1'' is for play as you drive down the road and hit a bump or put a lode in it you truck the springs compress and pull the drive shaft and the rear end forwarder. if it bottoms out you will have problems with u joints or bend your drive shaft

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”