17x10" Wheels....

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
LarryStooge

Nils wrote:I road race my 240 *VERY* frequently, I have 17x10's in the rear and 17x8's infront.... you cant tell me that my car handles bad, matter of fact the car is on rails. No problems with understeer. I dont think I have ever heard a road racer say "I need narrower wheels and tires".....

In road racing having wider tires means more tire patch contact which would be a good thing since being fast in the corners outweighs the importance of being fast in a straight line (unless you are drag racing =).

Larger tire patch contact = Grip

Volk makes several rims that would fit the s14-240, granted I had to get H&R spacers (15mm front - 5mm rear), Tein coil overs and had to do some minor cutting to make the rims fit... but it was all worth it. Being able to take a long turn at 100mph instead of 90mph is a serious advantage at the track, specially if that turn sweeps into a long straight-away.

take care,nils

coolz, im a huge fan of your supra (heard you were trying to sell it :(), had no idea you owned a 240 too. Any pics or info sites out there? You've got to4r for that damn supra, why no crazy site for the 240? :(

Nils
Car: road racing

Snarlynx - The 240 only has the stuff mentioned in my earlier post on it at this moment and the car handles superbly. I have a bunch of parts laying in my garage that I have not had time to install yet, swaybars, bushings etc... I am confident those parts will only add to the handling of the car.

I forgot to mention that I do have a Cusco front Strut tower bar and I am ordering a Cusco chromoly 6 point cage for the 240. The cage will add alot of stiffness, I cant wait =)

StephNic - I actually parted the Supra out, sold nearly all parts off it and traded the chassis for a daily driver for my wife. I loved the Supra but in my opinion it was too heavy and I put too much money in it for road racing. It would have been very expensive to fix if I put it in the wall. I will keep my member profile up on to4r.com indefinitly in memory of the car, it was an awsome street car.

Conserning the website... funny you ask, patience comes to all those who wait =) I registered a website url for my adventures with the 240

240racing.com

I am dedicating this site to the Silvia/240, I will be documenting all my upgrades and road racing experiences on this site. I have alot of other buddies that will contribute to the site aswell. We will be doing engine swap articles, suspension articles, product reviews and member profiles, etc... I am sure 240racing.com will develop into something as nice as to4r.com but at a racing level, not street car level.

take care,nils

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

Lost_To_A_K-Car wrote:You'll need to be putting down serious power before the tire width is going to be an issue. Even then, whether or not it's actually going to be an issue is questionable.

What's for certain is that wider tires on bigger wheels are going to slow the car down, and hose the suspension geometry that was so carefully crafted by the aforementioned Japanese engineers.

If you're running autocross, leave the tire width alone. A lot of people even recommend leaving the wheel diameter alone in this case.

If by "drag racing" you mean light to light races in front of the local mall, leave the tires alone. If you mean, "I'm building the engine to push 750 hp on alcohol, and I'm going to truck it to the strip", do the tires, but do them last.

Your car is not a Camaro. Using two different wheel sizes on the front and rear, or using wheels that are grossly disproportionate with the OEM wheels, is not going to make it happy.

Hey geniuses, wheels can be taken off and on. There's these little things called lugnuts that hold them on (they're not welded). Guess what...that means you can change them when you're going to autocross!!!

You can have some monster rear tires for going to the drag strip and around town for looks and just SWITCH to your autocross wheels when you acutally go autocross.

And, thanks Nils for posting valuable info and bringing this madness to an end...I run 8" all around and mine handles like a demon and I want to go to 9" or 9.5" in the rear eventually.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”