'12 Murano CVT Problems

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Bigbeam

My 12 Murano Platinum (with 65k miles -- yes just outside warranty!) is going into limp mode. There are no sounds that I can hear to indicate transmission failure and the check engine light does not come on. Typically happens on a decelerate - I can usually get out of it by taking my foot off the gas pedal and repressing.

I have had it at the dealership. There are no codes, they say the fluid "looks fine" and they "believe the problem is internal to the CVT".

Anybody have this issue and what other additional evidence should I have before I proceed with a $6,000 transmission repair (Canada)? Possibly a software control issue?

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

Believe the transmissions are warrantied to 120k, are they not?

Bigbeam

The warranty extension was only up to 2010 I think.

Problem fixed. Took it too a transmission shop and they found a p code relating to the brake circuit. Check the brake switch (which has been a problem with causing limp mode). Turns out my trailer brake light controller was feeding bad signals back into the ECU which was putting the vehicle into limp mode. Removed the trailer light controller box and problem solved.

$500 bill as it took a bit of time to hunt the problem down but I saved myself an unwarranted and dealer recommended transmission replacement. Big loss in faith with the dealership.

The new question when buying a car will be: Is your service staff on commission or salary? If commisioned don't deal with them, its a conflict of interest.

Return to “Murano Forum”