'08-'12 Armada/QX56 Watch DVD's on your Navigation Screen!

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

CountUSC wrote:OK, I just completed this mod on a 2010 Armada platinum.... couple of notes and observations. I tapped into the right side power receptacle near the gear shifter, ran the lead to the red/round rocker switch (middle position). I grounded the copper terminal of the rocker switch to a metal spot. The other side terminal of the rocker switch went into two 30-amp relays that I got at radio shack. power from the switch went into terminal 85 on relay one, out terminal 86 of relay one into terminal 85 of relay two. Terminal 86 of relay two was grounded to metal. I then located wires 80 and 82 on the wire harness. I cut each and connected the harnes side of each wire to terminal 30 of each respective relay. I then connected the radio side of each wire to the respective terminal 87 of each respective relay. I placed the rocker switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel (over by the rear lift gate button - there was an empty slot). When I flip the switch off (stops power from flowing to the relay I think), I can now program the GPS destination while moving, but as others have mentioned the GPS does not follow me well when the switch is off. To wire up the relays, I used this site and this one as a reference: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-emp ... re-up.html

I still have to be stopped with the parking brake engaged in order to watch the DVD on the front screen. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what. Can anyone point me in the right direction? The DVD playing on the front screen is more a nice to have than a necessity, but it'd be nice to allow my wife to get the video playing from the front seat.
First off, welcome to the Armada/QX56 Forum, the staff here at NICOclub welcomes you to the site!

You did not properly interrupt the "E-Brake" wire, that is totally the problem. I would suggest purchasing the Relay Pack from Shane or use a DPDT switch, it is much easier to do using one of those options, but maybe you will be able to figure things out with my help. I don't know much about wiring up the relays, unless you have an actual DPDT relay there, I know I have those here at work.

Good luck and post up any more questions for me, I am here to help! :bigthumb:

Grayt White 56
Car: 2008 QX56

New guy here. I just bought my first Infiniti last Friday (2008 QX56). I know this is going to be a remedial level question but here goes.

"What do I have to do in order to hear music through my speakers while my kids are watching DVD's with their headphones on?"

A guy can only take so much!

Thanks!

Timmbo

Grayt White 56 wrote:New guy here. I just bought my first Infiniti last Friday (2008 QX56). I know this is going to be a remedial level question but here goes.

"What do I have to do in order to hear music through my speakers while my kids are watching DVD's with their headphones on?"

Thanks!
Cheers from the staff here at NICOclub! I hope you are enjoying your '08 QX56!!!!! You need to first hit the button that has the "headphones/speaker" on it. You will see a headphone light up on your front display, this means the headphones are now on. You then need to hit the "rear cntrl" button, this will allow the rear to be on a different source than the front unit. All make sense? Go give it a shot!!!!! :bigthumb:

CountUSC
Car: 2010 Nissan Armada Platinum

Timmbo wrote:
CountUSC wrote:OK, I just completed this mod on a 2010 Armada platinum.... couple of notes and observations. I tapped into the right side power receptacle near the gear shifter, ran the lead to the red/round rocker switch (middle position). I grounded the copper terminal of the rocker switch to a metal spot. The other side terminal of the rocker switch went into two 30-amp relays that I got at radio shack. power from the switch went into terminal 85 on relay one, out terminal 86 of relay one into terminal 85 of relay two. Terminal 86 of relay two was grounded to metal. I then located wires 80 and 82 on the wire harness. I cut each and connected the harnes side of each wire to terminal 30 of each respective relay. I then connected the radio side of each wire to the respective terminal 87 of each respective relay. I placed the rocker switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel (over by the rear lift gate button - there was an empty slot). When I flip the switch off (stops power from flowing to the relay I think), I can now program the GPS destination while moving, but as others have mentioned the GPS does not follow me well when the switch is off. To wire up the relays, I used this site and this one as a reference: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-emp ... re-up.html

I still have to be stopped with the parking brake engaged in order to watch the DVD on the front screen. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what. Can anyone point me in the right direction? The DVD playing on the front screen is more a nice to have than a necessity, but it'd be nice to allow my wife to get the video playing from the front seat.
First off, welcome to the Armada/QX56 Forum, the staff here at NICOclub welcomes you to the site!

You did not properly interrupt the "E-Brake" wire, that is totally the problem. I would suggest purchasing the Relay Pack from Shane or use a DPDT switch, it is much easier to do using one of those options, but maybe you will be able to figure things out with my help. I don't know much about wiring up the relays, unless you have an actual DPDT relay there, I know I have those here at work.

Good luck and post up any more questions for me, I am here to help! :bigthumb:
Timmbo - thanks for the response... I figured that my problem was with the e-brake sensor. I hung out with a mechanical engineer who's really done a number of mods on his pick up and confirmed where I went wrong - as I has suspected. I could buy the relay pack from Shane, but I like to figure things out myself - with a little bit of help from time to time. So, if I can't get it working soon, I'll conceed and order from Shane.

Also, post-mod (possibly unrelated and may belong in another thread) my sunroof only moves a couple inches at a time... anyone else run into this?
UPDATE: When you disconnect the battery, the sunroof loses track of where it's 'home' position is and you must get the sunroof to it's fully closed position and press the tilt down button for 2 seconds to reset the 'home' position. - it was in the user manual.
Last edited by CountUSC on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CountUSC
Car: 2010 Nissan Armada Platinum

Timmbo wrote:
Grayt White 56 wrote:New guy here. I just bought my first Infiniti last Friday (2008 QX56). I know this is going to be a remedial level question but here goes.

Thanks!
Cheers from the staff here at NICOclub! I hope you are enjoying your '08 QX56!!!!! You need to first hit the button that has the "headphones/speaker" on it. You will see a headphone light up on your front display, this means the headphones are now on. You then need to hit the "rear cntrl" button, this will allow the rear to be on a different source than the front unit. All make sense? Go give it a shot!!!!! :bigthumb:
Also, something I found out recently is that when the headphones are in use my rear speakers turn off so that the radio, iphone, pandora, etc. only is heard on the front speakers. I'm not sure if there's a way to override that, but it seems logical, but also silly since my Armada only came with two wireless headphones and has 5 rear seats (2 middle row and 3 3rd row).

Timmbo

I believe you can purchase more if you would like and they would all work, but I do understand what you are saying.

QXOTIC

New member here~ has anyone tried this product: www.prestigioussociety.com? Looks like a 100% plug and play and don't need to cut any wire!

Timmbo

Certainly appears to be a plug & play option, but is it worth $280? You can do the same modification for about $10. That is the $280 question!!!!! LOL

sashki2
Car: Altima 3.5SE Coupe Manual Transmission
Infiniti EX35

hockeyguy21 wrote:OK ladies and gents, if you are looking into doing this without a relay and all that jazz, the easy way to do this is to use a double pole double throw toggle switch. this requires no relay. the only thing is the switch is ugly, and it needs a nice place to hide (which i havent found yet, still searching. any ideas?)

now, when wiring the switch, you need to take the dash apart, cut the speedsensor and ebrake wires (look at the illustrations from earlier in this thread). after they are cut, you will need to attach the wires as shown in my illustration below.

any questions or advice, let me know im still working on this myself!

Mike
Hockeyguy, you said you're still working on this about a year ago never said how but you've never said if it was successfully completed. I don't get it, there should be a reason why relays are used in addition to switch. Why does your's work without relay?

Timmbo, I'd be surprised if hockey guy is still subscribed to this thread. Can you poor some light into this? What's a role of the relay?

Timmbo

Long story short: I used the relay method on my 2010 Armada, and I used the DPDT switch method on my 2010 G37xS Sedan. Both methods work perfectly. The drawback to the relay pack is that it requires tapping into the 12v power source, and it is a lot more money. The switch is much cheaper (less then $10), and DOES NOT require the 12v power. Honestly, I would suggest using the DPDT switch method, just simpler, never have to worry about the relays failing, there is no real benefit to using the relay method, but both methods work perfectly!

Nicoyhre
Car: BMWE46

Sorry A little difficult for me to understand the abovementioned details which many posters gave. I ever thought a post there to discuss this issue:http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/dodge- ... 997B9F81E4
Try this:

1. While in Park, bring up the DVD on the front console and start watching the video.
2. Push the Audio button to bring up the balance adjust menu.
3. Put the tranny in Drive and start driving.
4. Push Done on the Audio screen. My system reverts to the playing car DVD instead of the standard MYGig menu.

Note - subsequent DVD function or touching the screen reverts but if you leave it alone it plays along smoothly. :inoutgay:

Timmbo

Nicoyhre wrote:Sorry A little difficult for me to understand the abovementioned details which many posters gave. I ever thought a post there to discuss this issue:http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/dodge- ... 997B9F81E4
Try this:

1. While in Park, bring up the DVD on the front console and start watching the video.
2. Push the Audio button to bring up the balance adjust menu.
3. Put the tranny in Drive and start driving.
4. Push Done on the Audio screen. My system reverts to the playing car DVD instead of the standard MYGig menu.

Note - subsequent DVD function or touching the screen reverts but if you leave it alone it plays along smoothly. :inoutgay:

That will not work on a Nissan or Infiniti, you have to tap into the VSS wire and the Parking Brake wire.

Synergy408
Car: 2011 Infinity QX56

I wonder how hard it will be to do this on the new QX 2011 model???

Timmbo

Synergy408 wrote:I wonder how hard it will be to do this on the new QX 2011 model???
That is a good question, my guess is it is going to be the same. Pretty much all Infiniti / Nissan's (Maxima, Murano, Pathfinder, Armada) have the same AV/Nav set up. I can't 100% confirm this until I see the 2011 service Manual, but the Nav appears to be the same as what is in my 2010 G37x with Nav and in the M37/M56, FX, & EX as well. So we should be all good, but I personally have not been able to confirm this yet.

It is always nice for the passenger in the front seat to be able to enjoy the movie as well!

I will check with our staff and see if anyone has access to the 2011 FSM, I will keep you posted! :bigthumb:

Timmbo

joe1231
Car: 2009 infiniti qx56

im new to this and was wondering how can i view dvds in my 2009 qx56 navigation system. only way i can see them is with e brake and completely stopped

Timmbo

joe1231 wrote:im new to this and was wondering how can i view dvds in my 2009 qx56 navigation system. only way i can see them is with e brake and completely stopped
First off, welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you as a new member of the QX56 Forum!

YES, it can be done, and it is relatively easy to do. There is an E-Brake wire and a VSS wire that go to the back of your AV/Control Unit (stereo head unit). Both of those wires need to be cut and connected to a DPDT switch. Basically when you flip the switch, the two wires from the AV unit will be grounded, fooling them to think the E-Brake is on and the the vehicle is in motion.

Very inexpensive and simple mod, let me know if I can help!

schrady
Car: Infiniti QX56

Hey Timmbo,

I have an 08 QX and want to do the mod. How do I order it from you?

schrady

Hey Mike,

So I just cut the two wires, attach each end to a dpdt switch and I'm in business? Essentially put the switch in the middle of the flow. Where does the ground come from (sorry, not very electric oriented)

Do I need extra wiring to bring the switch out of the back?

schrady

Hey all,

Lil help please:
I just bought my 08 qx last week. There is a toggle switch located left side of steering wheel underneath by my left knee. I doesn't appear to do anything (I can't watch dvd in either position.) It does however make a pinging noise when I turn it on, like an alert.

Could it be the brake disengage alert? Maybe an attempt at a bypass.

Any idea what it could be?

Timmbo

So did you have a chance to complete the mod for the DVD's on your nav screen?

schrady

I havent yet. I'm going to do it later today.
My only ? is this:

DPDT switch has 6 poles that arent labeled. Doe sit matter which is which or the wires coming from the radio or from the back of tha car go.
I know you told me 5 and 6 were for ground. If you get back to me I'll do it later today and maybe I'll take pictures. :)P

schrady

2008 QX56 with Nav.

Whoever said this was easy was just plain fuuuuked. I got the panel off, but the lil cig plugs and clock attachments might as well be soldered in there. No way the were coming out. Hence it almost impossible to get the rest out and lay flat.

Then the wires are easy enough to ID, but they are very THIN and there is not much of them. I don't see how you could install a switch and ground without adding more wiring, which is not what I had planned on, nor what any instructions said to do..

So, I zipped it back up and said fuk it. I wish someone who had done this had written some decent instructions so I could have been prepared. Maybe I'll go get some wiring and try it again.

Timmbo

schrady wrote:2008 QX56 with Nav.

Whoever said this was easy was just plain fuuuuked. I got the panel off, but the lil cig plugs and clock attachments might as well be soldered in there. No way the were coming out. Hence it almost impossible to get the rest out and lay flat.

Then the wires are easy enough to ID, but they are very THIN and there is not much of them. I don't see how you could install a switch and ground without adding more wiring, which is not what I had planned on, nor what any instructions said to do..

So, I zipped it back up and said fuk it. I wish someone who had done this had written some decent instructions so I could have been prepared. Maybe I'll go get some wiring and try it again.
You do need to splice on additional wiring so that you can run it to the switch which you should locate under the dash. I think I used 20 or 22 gauge wire.

Sorry you feel like you bit off more then you can chew.

Knowing what you know (and I what I told you) about the DPDT switch and which wire goes where.....you should be able to determine which wire gets connected to what terminal on the switch using the diagram that comes with the switch. Again, the switch is used to break the E-Brake and the VSS wire at the back of the AV unit. Each wire coming out of the back of the AV unit needs to go to a "ground" when the switch is "on", when it is off, everything will be in the "stock" positions.

2011QX4Bro
Car: 2011 QX56

Hey Timmbo you seem like the resident stud here. So I'm getting ready to attempt this mod on my brother's (or wife's) 2011 QX. Before I do I wanted to run by everything real quick to make sure I understand correctly.

1 I believe you said was same for 2011, no need to go further if not

2 need to buy a switch from Radio Shack, I few different switches have been mentioned so thought I'd ask for specific

3 open up dash and splice correct pin wires, think 78 and 80, to switch and ground switch(I think)

4 is that it? does the switch need a power supply? I know I need to find a place for switch but not to concerned with that.

Any and all input would be more then AMAZING!!!

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Timmbo

2011QX4Bro wrote:Hey Timmbo you seem like the resident stud here. So I'm getting ready to attempt this mod on my brother's (or wife's) 2011 QX. Before I do I wanted to run by everything real quick to make sure I understand correctly.

1 I believe you said was same for 2011, no need to go further if not

2 need to buy a switch from Radio Shack, I few different switches have been mentioned so thought I'd ask for specific

3 open up dash and splice correct pin wires, think 78 and 80, to switch and ground switch(I think)

4 is that it? does the switch need a power supply? I know I need to find a place for switch but not to concerned with that.

Any and all input would be more then AMAZING!!!

Thanks in advance

Kevin
KEVIN!!! First off, welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you here in the QX56 Forum!

I cannot be 100% certain that this is the same on the 2011, but I believe it is.

- for switch, you want any DPDT switch that suits your liking.
- to 100% verify the pins you are tapping into, you should refer to the 2011 QX56 service manual
- NO power is needed to the switch, just a good ground

Again, my apologies for not responding to your post, had a crazy week, I was sick, then the whole family was sick! :bigthumb:

Timmbo

Here is a link to the 2011 QX56 FSM:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/QX56/2011/

marke08
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport

I completed this mod today on my 2008 QX56. This is the second mod I have done. First was on 2007 M45. I didn't use the rocker switch but a standard dpdt switch. Total time to mod was about an hour and a half. Let me know if anyone trying to complete has questions.

2011QX4Bro
Car: 2011 QX56

Timmbo wrote: KEVIN!!! First off, welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you here in the QX56 Forum!

I cannot be 100% certain that this is the same on the 2011, but I believe it is.

- for switch, you want any DPDT switch that suits your liking.
- to 100% verify the pins you are tapping into, you should refer to the 2011 QX56 service manual
- NO power is needed to the switch, just a good ground

Again, my apologies for not responding to your post, had a crazy week, I was sick, then the whole family was sick! :bigthumb:
No need to ever apologize for helping with info, I'm on your time not mine. If you could just check one last thing for me, I think I'm about ready to tackle this. So I looked at the manual in the AV.pdf in the ECU diagnosis info tab on pages 53 and 55 looks like PIN 65 is the e brake and PIN 82 is speed sensor.

So just cut them, ground with switch and I'm good to go?

Sorry if being overly elementary just don't wanna mess up on sister in law vehicle, ok if mine since I can mess with all the time but not hers.

Also should I keep switch as close to dash as possible or ok to run under floor to center console. Wasn't sure if the extra length would effect the current . Also if ok what gauge wire would you recommend?

Thanks for all the input, hope you and the fam are feeling better

Timmbo

Correct, cut the wires and the wires coming out of the back of the AV unit need to both go to a ground.

You will need to run 2'-3' of wire (you can always trim when finished). I used 22g wire.

Let me know If you have any more questions, and PLEASE help cheer on the Packers this weekend!

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”