'08-'12 Armada/QX56 Watch DVD's on your Navigation Screen!

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Car: 08 Nissan Armada

I did not have to use the relay any everything works fine. I dont understand why everyone is having so many problems with this. I aslo do not have navigation. i purchase my armada without navigation but have the bose theater system. You just have to cut the wires from the rear of the radio and ground the wires. I dont remember excatly but i think you ground the wires that are still attached to the back of the radio. that why you dont cut the wires to short.....

But i have done this and it works great.........

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

236697 wrote:I did not have to use the relay any everything works fine. I dont understand why everyone is having so many problems with this. I aslo do not have navigation. i purchase my armada without navigation but have the bose theater system. You just have to cut the wires from the rear of the radio and ground the wires. I dont remember excatly but i think you ground the wires that are still attached to the back of the radio. that why you dont cut the wires to short.....

But i have done this and it works great.........
If you DO have Navigation, then you need to use Shane's relay pack or a DPDT switch in order for the Navigation to function properly.

mtyler72
Car: Infiniti Qx56

I just got an 05 infiniti Qx56. I have both the rear DVD and front Nav. Can I watch DVDs on the Nav screen if the car is NOT in motion and if so how?

Timmbo

mtyler72 wrote:I just got an 05 infiniti Qx56. I have both the rear DVD and front Nav. Can I watch DVDs on the Nav screen if the car is NOT in motion and if so how?
Welcome to the Armada/QX56 Forum! Glad to have you as member of NICOclub!

You can do a modification so that you can watch the DVD on the front Nav screen, it will work while the vehicle is in park and while it is motion. You need to purchase the switch unit from TV&Nav2 Go, you can purchase this from:

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/

You will then run a regular set of Audio/Video cables from underneath your passenger seat to the center console and connect it to the proper video wires located in one of the wire connecters. It takes a little time to complete, but is well worth it, it is a great modification!

airwolf09

don't know what is going on but my Blue LED switch from Autozone keep burn out, anyone run into this weird problem. I have went thru may be 4 Blue LED rocket switch like the one Timbo used.

but I have no problem using the Red LED switch. It is the same switch and rating the same just different color.

anyone have any idea?

Timmbo

I didn't personally use the LED rocker switch, I actually used a non-LED rocker on my Armada, don't have to worry about anything buring out, or any annoying lights in the dark.

sixdog

What are the downfalls of just grounding the ebrake and speed sensor on a 08 Armada with navigation. I am about to do this mod for my friend and i am curios why the switch is needed on the Nav models?

Timmbo

sixdog wrote:What are the downfalls of just grounding the ebrake and speed sensor on a 08 Armada with navigation. I am about to do this mod for my friend and i am curios why the switch is needed on the Nav models?
First off, welcome to the Armada / QX56 Forum, always a pleasure greeting new members of NICOclub!

If you DON'T use a switch your Navigation will barely work (it will work, but it will be extremely choppy, and not as accurate, it will have at the very least a 30 second delay).

All you have to do is get a $5 DPDT switch and you will be good to go, best $5 spent ever!

sixdog

So the switch is just to switch between grounded or ungrounded?

KPierson
Car: 2004 Infiniti TT G35 coupe

You can leave the parking brake wire permanently grounded on the navi side, there is absolutely no reason to switch it back and forth.

The VSS wires does NOT have to be grounded, it can float and it will still allow video.

There is no need for a relay, that is just making extra work.

All you need is a SPST switch inline with the VSS signal and to permanently ground the navi side of the parking brake wire. When you throw the switch it will kill the navi positioning (since the navi positioning isn't actually GPS based, it's VSS and electronic compass based) but as soon as you turn off the switch (and restore the VSS signal) the navi will update it (because it constantly verifies current position with GPS data when the vehicle is moving).

Timmbo

True, but at least if you use a DPDT switch you can always switch your vehcile back to a completely stock position in case a dealer is ever running diognostics on your vehicle, this way it will always appear that your vehicle is completely stock when in the normal position. Make sense?

sixdog

I did this mod to my buddies armada with just spst switch and it worked fine for a night, now when both wires are connected to the switch the light on the switch goes out and the mod stops working in the on position. Is there a fuse I can check to see if I blew? I take 1 of the speed sensor wires off and the light comes back on , i touch the wire to the pole and it goes off. I am lost here.

I have replaced all wires and tried a new switch, I am positive that i tapped the right wires. What is the matter????

Modified by sixdog at 5:19 PM 6/12/2009
Modified by sixdog at 5:20 PM 6/12/2009

Timmbo

sixdog wrote:I did this mod to my buddies armada with just spst switch and it worked fine for a night, now when both wires are connected to the switch the light on the switch goes out and the mod stops working in the on position. Is there a fuse I can check to see if I blew? I take 1 of the speed sensor wires off and the light comes back on , i touch the wire to the pole and it goes off. I am lost here.

I have replaced all wires and tried a new switch, I am positive that i tapped the right wires. What is the matter????

Modified by sixdog at 5:19 PM 6/12/2009

Modified by sixdog at 5:20 PM 6/12/2009
What two wires are connected to the switch?

sixdog

I cut the vss wire and connected each side to the switch. I also have a ground connected to the switch.

Timmbo

sixdog wrote:I cut the vss wire and connected each side to the switch. I also have a ground connected to the switch.
You need a SPDT switch, not a SPST. Make sense?

63onair
Car: 2009 Armada SE

I just purchased an 09 Armada SE with Bose and non-nav. Is the wiring the same for for 08 and 09? Do I still need to cut & ground 106 & 107? Thanks in advance!!!!!

----------------UPDATE------------------------

I found the service manuals on the forum and it is the same for the '09 models. It worked like a champ. Probably the quickest, easiest, and most useful mod ever. Thanks guys, I'm sure this won't be the last time I pick your brains.
Modified by 63onair at 1:54 PM 6/19/2009

hockeyguy21
Car: 2008 Infiniti QX56, 2005 Honda Element

i need to know how to wire up the relay. i swear ive paced over this page 100,000 times and it tells me what relay to get, but not how to wire it.

i currently have this relay http://www.parts-express.com//...0-070

as well as a LED switch with 3 prongs, POWER, LOAD, and GROUND

please someone help me wire this. i need to have it up and running today

Timmbo

Thanks for e-mailing me, keep me posted if you have any issues.

EcstaSPT

Great thread. We just bought an 08 Pathfinder LE with Nav, so does this mod allow you to search with the music box while driving? I haven't even messed with it yet but from what I read you can only search through the different ripped albums while stopped, how lame is that? Way to defeat the purpose of a HD based music box. Are the connectors etc the same for Pathfinders as the Armada?

hockeyguy21
Car: 2008 Infiniti QX56, 2005 Honda Element

OK ladies and gents, if you are looking into doing this without a relay and all that jazz, the easy way to do this is to use a double pole double throw toggle switch. this requires no relay. the only thing is the switch is ugly, and it needs a nice place to hide (which i havent found yet, still searching. any ideas?)

now, when wiring the switch, you need to take the dash apart, cut the speedsensor and ebrake wires (look at the illustrations from earlier in this thread). after they are cut, you will need to attach the wires as shown in my illustration below.

any questions or advice, let me know im still working on this myself!

Mike

Timmbo

Mike,

Glad I could help you out with the e-mails, you should "cleverly" hide the switch just under the dash, to the right of the steering wheel, there is a space about a 1/2" wide which allow just enough room to snugly fit with 3M double sided tape on each side.

acribb
Car: 2010 Infiniti QX56

I'm thinking about doing the Nav override and DVD on front screen override and had a few questions that someone can hopefully answer.

What happens when you turn the switch on and you ground the e-brake wire in order to watch DVD on the front screen? Does the e-brake light indicator on the instrument cluster stay lit? Does anything beep (I don't recall it beeping when I was reversing with the parking brake on the other day!!)?

Would it be useful to have 2 switches, one for the e-brake wire and one for the speed wire? With this method, and with just the e-brake wire switch on, would it be possible to watch a DVD on the front screen and Navigate in the background and hear the voice prompts? Has anyone tried this? This way you could flip the Nav switch to input directions, then flip it back off to get the tracking working, and then turn on the ebrake switch so you can watch a DVD on the front screen..... Wishful thinking I know, as most likely you can't do this...

Switches-I'm still not totally clear on how to wire the switch(s). Is that diagram a few posts up good to follow? Do I need a DPDT switch? Is a relay necessary or not?

Mounting location-Has anyone mounted it underneath the drivers side dash? Is it easy to route the switch to that location?

Thanks for the replies.....

Marley
Car: Infinity

I have a 2010 QX56.It seems that there must be a dealer code to set the Nav to work during driving that they might be reluctant to share with us.There are many times that setting the Nav while driving is much safer than stopping on the side of the road. especially when the passenger could easily be the one setting the Nav.Anyone have knowledge to share???Please???

Timmbo

Marley wrote:I have a 2010 QX56.It seems that there must be a dealer code to set the Nav to work during driving that they might be reluctant to share with us.There are many times that setting the Nav while driving is much safer than stopping on the side of the road. especially when the passenger could easily be the one setting the Nav.Anyone have knowledge to share???Please???
First off, Welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you here!

All I can say is programming the Nav to work at all times certainly is a possibility, but at this point, the only thing that is guaranteed to work, is the minor mod I have stuck at the top of this Forum, it is easy, inexpensive, and it works awesome!

04qx56-pioneer
Car: '04 QX56

hey i would like to hook it up just as you described.. with the hvac to come up when the temp or someting is changed... can you give me instructions on what you did and what you ordered?

Timmbo

On on '04, you need to purchase the TV & Nav 2 Go unit. You would then connect this at the back of your Nav DVD rom drive (located underneath the passenger seat).

YES, you will still see your HVAC display over the Video you are watching, unless you hit the "Route" button, then the HVAC will be "hidden". Once you change the temp or the fan, it it will show up on the screen again. That is totally the best way to set this up on your '04 QX56 (I did this exact mod when I had my '04 QX56).

Let me know if you have any more questions!

04qx56-pioneer
Car: '04 QX56

Oh this is great! Is there instructions with the TV & Nav 2 Go unit on which wires to hook up? and im going to hook it up to my pioneer AVIC-x910bt i have in the front so there is two screens... i replaced the stock cd/radio with that so this will work great because that screen was useless without buttons to control it. So i just order the cut your own wires kit from TV & Nav 2 go? and how do you order from them anyway im confused on that..

Timmbo

Just call them, they will take care of you, tell them Timmbo from NICOclub sent you.

Timmbo

Just a quick reminder, this mod is extremely simplified by purchasing a relay pack that is pre-wired from Shane at Tintmasters, his e-mail is: [email protected]

I believe he is charging $50 for the wired relay pack with excellent instructions. This is method I personally used on my Armada.

CountUSC
Car: 2010 Nissan Armada Platinum

OK, I just completed this mod on a 2010 Armada platinum.... couple of notes and observations. I tapped into the right side power receptacle near the gear shifter, ran the lead to the red/round rocker switch (middle position). I grounded the copper terminal of the rocker switch to a metal spot. The other side terminal of the rocker switch went into two 30-amp relays that I got at radio shack. power from the switch went into terminal 85 on relay one, out terminal 86 of relay one into terminal 85 of relay two. Terminal 86 of relay two was grounded to metal. I then located wires 80 and 82 on the wire harness. I cut each and connected the harnes side of each wire to terminal 30 of each respective relay. I then connected the radio side of each wire to the respective terminal 87 of each respective relay. I placed the rocker switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel (over by the rear lift gate button - there was an empty slot). When I flip the switch off (stops power from flowing to the relay I think), I can now program the GPS destination while moving, but as others have mentioned the GPS does not follow me well when the switch is off. To wire up the relays, I used this site and this one as a reference: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-emp ... re-up.html

I still have to be stopped with the parking brake engaged in order to watch the DVD on the front screen. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what. Can anyone point me in the right direction? The DVD playing on the front screen is more a nice to have than a necessity, but it'd be nice to allow my wife to get the video playing from the front seat.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”