'08-'12 Armada/QX56 Watch DVD's on your Navigation Screen!

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
z0neblitz
Car: 2008 Nissan Armada LE

Timmbo wrote:You should attach the ground to a metal part of the internal framework. Use a DPDT switch with just an on and off. Why do you want to run the switch all the way over to the glovebox?

Good luck! Sounds like you have everything planned out well!!!
I don't want to drill any holes or cut into the dash and stuff, so I'm trying to find a way to just run the wire and switch out and attach it somewhere out of the way. Any recommendations on a good spot I could do that?

So for the DPDT ground, will I need to run a ground wire for both sides of the switch or just one?

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

I simply used zip/cable ties to secure the switch to existing wires just underneath the dash.

You only need one ground wire, I took the wire and put it through the holes in each of the spades ends on the switch and then soldered them in place. Make sense?

z0neblitz

Ok, I got the switch installed, but here's the issue I'm having now:

When the armada is parked and the parking brake is not on, when i flip the switch down I can watch a movie on the nav screen, when I flip the switch up, I get the message that the video will return when the car is stopped. However, when switch is in that up position, and I actually put the parking brake on, the video does not start again.

So I'm not sure what's going on. I haven't tested the gps yet because it was late and didn't have time to go for a spin. I would assume that when the switch is down, the bypass is activated and thus I can watch a movie without the parking brake on, but when its flipped up, and is the supposed default position, then shouldn't the video play when the parking brake is applied?

I got this DPDT switch from radio shack, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062513 , and there were no instructions with it. The left side of the switch goes 1, 2, 3, from top to bottom and the right side goes 4, 5, 6. When looking at the pins/poles, the top 2 and bottom 2 had a reddish color to them, but the middle were yellow, so I assumed the middle were where the ground wire should be connected to.

What do you think is the issue?

Timmbo

If the switch is in the off (stock) position, YES, the video should play normal with the parking brake on. Double check your functions again, and from there you may have to double check the wires. If you can't get it to play video in a stock position, something is connected incorrectly.

Timmbo

Just read your post again.......you have the grounds connected in the wrong place on the switch.

The bottom 2 positions on the switch are your grounds. #3 and #6 are the grounds.

z0neblitz

Timmbo, just wanted to thank you for all your help. I finally got the dang thing to work, and mounted it under the dash below the steering wheel with some industrial velcro. I was getting quite frustrated with it, and finally resorted to unplugging the entire switch and by process of elimination I plugged each wire in one at a time in different positions. Eventually through trial and error I was able to get total bypass and completely stock with the flip of the switch.

On a side note, I realized that not all wire strippers are created equal when I had to resort to carefully cutting the plastic off the stock wires with my knife when my cheap walmart wire stripper wouldn't cut wires that small :)

Timmbo

Good point!!! Working with those very small wires in such a tight space certainly requires good quality wire strippers!!!!

marctronixx

good job zone and timmbo!

masa0926
Car: Infiniti ex35 08

I'm thinking to do this mod for ex35,but if u just ground ebrake,brake lights will just stay on all the time????

Timmbo

No, this mod has nothing to do with the brake lights. You are merely "tricking" the AV unit into thinking that the parking brake is on. I would suggest still puting on a switch so you can always flip to a normal stock position.

masa0926

so i should install 2 switches? one for speed sensor and ebrake?
i can use 3 pin switch to split that parking wire,one go to behind unit to ground,to trick like you said,one go to navi like normal.i will just use 2 pin rock switch for spd sncr like you had it,i think.thanks for quick reply sirrrr!!!!>>>>timmbo

Timmbo

One double pole double throw switch.

masa0926

i see.i didnt know what all those switches called.but yea that one 6 pin switch should do that job for both wires.
thanks for your help!!!!!!!>>>>>>>timmbo

Timmbo

Yes, 6 pin is correct! Have fun and enjoy!

m00
Car: 2011 Armada Platinum

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread. I read all 10 pages, bought the switch, and had it wired up within 30 minutes! Such a simple and great mod. Thanks again everyone.

Timmbo

Congrats and welcome to NICOclub! I am glad you found the information helpful! It is a simple mod, you just have to take your time, but very simple indeed.

ENJOY!

tonelab77
Car: 2011 QX56

Wow! I just read the whole thread. What great information! Timmbo...you're awesome man. Vince G & Marctronnixx great additional info for the 2011+ QX56/QX80! You guys rock! I'm very competent with a soldering iron, however, I'm still a bit scared to take apart our newly acquired QX56. Are any of you located in the L.A. area? If so, would you be willing to help me take apart whatever needs taking apart to do this? I could swear that I read in another post that marctronixx is from the L.A. area.

marctronixx

TONE! :)

I live in LA bro. i am happy to help you on this. this was the first mod i did on the new q. i was cringing a bit but after getting the panels off, it was a snap (literally!) to put it back on.

lets catch up at our other hangout. there is a similar thread there as well.

Timmbo

Such a worthwhile mod, and so easy to do! Enjoy!

tonelab77

Anyone ever see the kit from carkitcompany for the QX56?

It's $175, and apparently adds what Vince G was thinking about adding to this mod. So, not only do you get DVD/NAV while in motion, but you have access to the cameras too. Is there any way to incorporate this into the DIY mod, since it's obviously possible?

http://youtu.be/3mYLc4FUn7Q

Page 97 of AV.pdf shows the diagram of the AVMCU (around view monitor control unit / connector number M48). Pin 6 is for VSS, and my guess is that pin 7 (reverse signal) wouldn't need to be tampered with, since you can use the around view cameras while going forward at less than 7 MPH. I may be off here, but this wouldn't even require a switch; you just ground the wire coming from pin 6 of the AVMCU to disable the VSS from telling the module that it's going over 7 MPH . Timmbo...any thoughts?

tonelab77

The kind people over at carkitcompany informed me that more stock of the kit for the QX56 will be available to order tomorrow (5/9/2013) or Friday (5/10/2013). They also included the PDF files associated with the installation. They include an in depth/detailed step by step tutorial (with pictures) on how to get access to the back of the head unit. Although it's a tutorial for their kit, I'm sure the DIYers on here can benefit from it. And, (from the looks of it) now I think I can do this myself, instead of enlisting the assistance of marctronixx (like I had previously planned).

Here are links to the PDF files they sent me:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1AhhyMi3 ... sp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1vv5LBA3 ... sp=sharing

If (for some reason) these files are not allowed to be posted on here, then please forgive me mods. Just notify me, and I'll remove the links. :)

I would also like to see some pics of where you guys mounted your switches. Marc? Timmbo?...anyone?

tonelab77

Well, I finally did this today, and it worked out great on the first try! It took me about 90 minutes. I opted to go the DIY (cheap) route, and couldn't be more pleased. I actually followed carkitcompany's PDF guide for removing all the panels and for gaining access to the back of the AV Control Unit.

I will say that it was scary never having done it before, but everything was fairly easy, except for removing the cables from the center console. Another thing that was mildly annoying was the 32 pin connector wires; they are very thin, and there's not a lot of slack, so I peeled back some of the cushiony sleeve to give me a little more wiggle room to operate. I'm confident I could do it again, however, soldering inside the tight confines of my wife's costly luxury SUV made me very anxious/nervous, but all went smoothly, and it works like a champ! No regrets here ;)

Don't waste your money on the costly plug and play "solutions"! If you know how to solder, follow directions and have some patience, this is worth doing yourself and saving the money. I used a $4 DPDT rocker switch from Rat Shack, some CAT6 Ethernet network wire (that I had lying around), electrical tape, a soldering iron, flux, some solder and the Harbor Freight yellow plastic pry tools. I also laid a towel down on the passenger seat (were I kept tools and soldering gear).

Thanks go out to Timmbo, marctronnix & Vince G! Without their bravery, I would've never attempted this mod.

Anyone who needs help doing this and lives in the greater Los Angeles area can PM me and I'll be glad to assist you... if you bring a 12 pack of some cold ones :D

marctronixx

good stuff tone!

im not good at electrical soldering or an of the sort, but i can follow directions. anyone can do his mod. tone your post should get more people energetic about doing this.

remember folks, this is not just to get the dvd to play in the front (for the passenger of course ;) ), its to unlock the controls that are grayed out whilst the car is in motion. this comes in handy when you need to search for a previous address that beyond the first page of the previous address list for example.

again, great job tone!

tonelab77

marctronixx wrote:good stuff tone!

im not good at electrical soldering or an of the sort, but i can follow directions. anyone can do his mod. tone your post should get more people energetic about doing this.

again, great job tone!
Thanks marc! It's definitely the best bang for the buck mod you'll ever do on a QX. And, you may be right about not needing to solder, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. I'd be too worried that the wires would come loose.

VinceG
Car: 2008 - Nissan Armada LE (Smoke) - Trade-In
2009 - Nissan Armada LE (Silver) - Totaled
2011 - Nissan Armada Platinum (Silver)
2012 - QX56 - Fully Loaded (Platinum Graphite)

tonelab77:

Congrats on this mod!!

Thanks for posting the links with photos of how to take the dash apart.....definitely easier than following the instructions in the service manuals that many of us had to rely on.....the color pictures will definitely encourage others to perform this must have mod!!!! I am sure that you are enjoying it quite a bit by now.

I still haven't tried again to make the cameras work at speeds over 7 mph. Did you incorporate this into your mod as per your post from May 8? You mentioned:

"Page 97 of AV.pdf shows the diagram of the AVMCU (around view monitor control unit / connector number M48). Pin 6 is for VSS, and my guess is that pin 7 (reverse signal) wouldn't need to be tampered with, since you can use the around view cameras while going forward at less than 7 MPH. I may be off here, but this wouldn't even require a switch; you just ground the wire coming from pin 6 of the AVMCU to disable the VSS from telling the module that it's going over 7 MPH . Timmbo...any thoughts?[/color]"

I think you are right about just grounding the wire to pin 6 (VSS), and that's it.....curious if you did it and it works????

I have been thinking about pulling things apart and trying this.

FYI - On a Different Note:

I have successfully used 32GB and 64GB usb flash drives in the usb port and there is no limit, that I can see, to the number of mp3 files you can have on the drive, or the size of the drive. The Armadas (2008-2012+) use a compact flash card, and although they can read larger CF flash cards, you are still limited to 512 files/mp3s per card for some reason....I know that Timmbo and I have discussed this some time ago. Fortunately, the QX56, with the new USB port technology, eliminates this restriction. I have thousands of mp3s on a 64gb Partiot rage xt usb 3.0 drive and the qx56 sees and plays them all!! I also pack another 64gb USB drive full with movies (DIVX or AVI format, ripped to less than 2GB each) and they all play great on the QX56....and with the DVD/Nav mods that we have all done, they also play while in motion!!

Some other basic mods:

I also recently hardwired in a radar detector to come on/off with the ignition, (discretely mounted above the rear view mirror with no visible wires), also hardwired some extra usb phone chargers, and a hdmi to av adapter to stream, from my mobile phone, things like youtube, news clips and live tv (CNN) to my screen. My phone outputs HDMI, but the QX56 AUX input needs AV cables. I used this adapter from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FO ... UTF8&psc=1

This works great if you get a solid 4G signal, which fortunately I do in most of the areas that I regularly drive. The only downside is that Live streaming TV uses quite a bit of data. Fortunately, I am still on a unlimited data plan from Verizon. Watching live news on my way to/from work on my nav screen definitely beats listening to it via XM.

Navigation, Movies, DVD, Cameras, Live TV - All while in motion......what more can you ask for???

tonelab77

VinceG wrote: I still haven't tried again to make the cameras work at speeds over 7 mph. Did you incorporate this into your mod as per your post from May 8? You mentioned:

"Page 97 of AV.pdf shows the diagram of the AVMCU (around view monitor control unit / connector number M48). Pin 6 is for VSS, and my guess is that pin 7 (reverse signal) wouldn't need to be tampered with, since you can use the around view cameras while going forward at less than 7 MPH. I may be off here, but this wouldn't even require a switch; you just ground the wire coming from pin 6 of the AVMCU to disable the VSS from telling the module that it's going over 7 MPH . Timmbo...any thoughts?[/color]"

I think you are right about just grounding the wire to pin 6 (VSS), and that's it.....curious if you did it and it works????

I have been thinking about pulling things apart and trying this.
I know this will work, but I was so overwhelmed and anxious when I was doing the initial mod, that I didn't want to take anything else apart to try and locate the AVMCU (even though I was probably staring at it). If you decide to do this, please take some pictures and post them. If you do, I might give it a shot. In the following thread, they do it successfully on FXs by simply cutting the VSS wire (no grounding needed). So, I'm quite positive that it will work. http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/thre ... post153603
VinceG wrote: I also pack another 64gb USB drive full with movies (DIVX or AVI format, ripped to less than 2GB each) and they all play great on the QX56.
Don't AVI files need to be encoded using DIVX encoding to play in the QX? I've tried random AVI files from my vast collection, and none of them have played. Probably, because most of them are encoded using XVID encoding. My solution to not convert all my files is posted in this thread: post6479666.html#p6479666
VinceG wrote: Navigation, Movies, DVD, Cameras, Live TV - All while in motion......what more can you ask for???
Sounds to good to be true! All we need is cameras to work to fulfill the dream! It would be awesome if you did it! You'd be the first (documented) QX to do it!

:dblthumb:

VinceG
Car: 2008 - Nissan Armada LE (Smoke) - Trade-In
2009 - Nissan Armada LE (Silver) - Totaled
2011 - Nissan Armada Platinum (Silver)
2012 - QX56 - Fully Loaded (Platinum Graphite)

Hi Tonelab77:

Per the owner's manual (Page 4-60) you can encode video files on for the usb flash drive in either divx or avi. I also had some trouble in the beginning with avi files...some would play and others would not. After much trial and error, I started using this program: DivX Plus Converter, http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus to convert lots of my existing dvd and blu ray rips that are very large files into divx files that are under 2 GB for playing in the QX56. I have probably converted 100+ files with this software and have not had any problems in the QX56 with playback. Here are the setting I use in the software to convert to divx and keeping the file size just under 2GB:

Custom Resolution: 720 X406
Maintain Aspect Ratio: Yes
Video Bit Rate: Max = 1800
Limit File Size: No, (but keep Max under 2GB for QX56)
2 Pass for Video Encoding: Yes
Audio Bit-Rate: 192 - 256 Kbps
Pass-Through Orig Audio Track when Necessary: Yes

I do plan to revisit getting the camera in motion mod to work this summer. However, we are getting ready to take a long vacation as soon as the kids finish school in a couple of weeks, and I know that I will not get to it before we leave, but will probably give it a shot in early July.....I will definitely post results and pics.....

PS...Do you know where the AVMCU is located in the 2011/2012 QX56, or what sections/pages in the service manuals refer to this? I am curious to start reading up on this in advance of trying it.....as you know, the most challenging part of these mods is just getting access to the wires that need to be cut without breaking, scratching or damaging the panels and/or clips/pins/fasteners that hold them together.

marctronixx

AV unit is the radio itself. its the heart of the CAN BUS system.

tonelab77

VinceG wrote:Hi Tonelab77:
I started using this program: DivX Plus Converter, http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus to convert lots of my existing dvd and blu ray rips that are very large files into divx files that are under 2 GB for playing in the QX56. I have probably converted 100+ files with this software and have not had any problems in the QX56 with playback.
Thanks for that info, but there's no way I would ever consider converting my existing video collection just so they'll play in our QX. I'm quite satisfied with the combination solution I came up with, using an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, XBMC and a Seagate Wireless Plus. It works great, plays all possible codecs, and fits 1TB of media!
I do plan to revisit getting the camera in motion mod to work this summer. I will definitely post results and pics...
Please do!
PS...Do you know where the AVMCU is located in the 2011/2012 QX56, or what sections/pages in the service manuals refer to this? I am curious to start reading up on this in advance of trying it.....as you know, the most challenging part of these mods is just getting access to the wires that need to be cut without breaking, scratching or damaging the panels and/or clips/pins/fasteners that hold them together.
(In AV.PDF) Pages 71 and 97 show connector "M48"; pin 6 for VSS on AVMCU (brown/white wire). Page 233 says that it's located directly behind the AV Control Unit.

Please keep us informed if/when you try this. I'll be anxiously waiting. Have a safe trip!

nacoma
Car: 08 QX56

Timmbo,
I am so confused on this and should not be. Please correct me where I am wrong on my 08 Q with Nav using DPDT only.
Cut VSS and Ebrake
Ground VSS and Ebrake to screw or other sufficient ground
DPDT position 1- connect VSS wire that leads back to main harness
DPDT position 2- connect VSS wire that I grounded in above also back to radio
DPDT position 3- connect ebrake wire that leads back to main harness
DPDT position 4- connect ebrake wire that I grounded in above also back to radio
DPDT position 5- ground to vehicle
DPDT position 6- ground to vehicle
I know I am messing this up but have got myself confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated in the easiest terms imaginable!
Thanks,
Mike

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”