'08-'12 Armada/QX56 Watch DVD's on your Navigation Screen!

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Pin number MAY NOT be the same, here is the full FSM though, enjoy!!!! (2011 is the same as 2012)

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/QX56/2011/

marctronixx

Vince,

on the 12,

Pin 82 (BR/W) is vehicle speed signal.

pin 80 is an ignition <----not what you want.

Pin 65 (W) is parking brake signal <----- what you want

you should be able to find the service manual for the 11-12 online, or I think its here on this site. timmbo can probably hook you up.

you want to go to IP-13 to IP-19 (Instrument Panel). you have to remove the leather sides, the bottom glove box finisher, the lower steering wheel finisher, gear shift knob, gear shift panel, then you can get to the HU.

to pop up the gear shift panel, its held down by clips. at the bottom of the panel, insert something that will not scratch and pry up. the clips will slide out.

joselo100
Car: 2009 NISSAN ARMADA LE WITH NAV AND DVD

that's funny, my wife was almost crying when she saw me doing the same thing. lol :)

Timmbo

My wife was like "are you seriously going to tear apart your new JX?"

joselo100

ok people, i change the sw and did a better conneccion on the cables., but still doing the samething. As soon I remove the emergency brake the image goes away. and my nav system is a little off. Any posibilities that i'm using the wrong cables from behind the radio on my 2009 armada?

please advise. :)

Timmbo

Did you check the Factory Service Manual to make sure you are tapping into the correct PIN numbers?

joselo100

I was using the terminal layout provide by you on july 02 2008. I count the spaces and found my wires that way. Do you think it will be a difference because i'm using a sw instead of a relay? The issue is only when I pull the ebrake off.

Timmbo

I will double check this morning.

Timmbo

Pins are correct, 80 and 82. It sounds like that E-Brake is not being sent to a good ground when you slip your switch. Did you try running a wire directly from a good ground right to the back of the PIN to test?

Timmbo

This may be redundant, but check out my diagram here, make sure both #3 and #6 positions are going directly to a good ground.

watch-movies-on-navigation-screen-while ... 64015.html

joselo100

I took both grounds and conect them togethere to the 12v ground.
So....... quick question, if I take both cables coming out of the unit and ground them it should work?
Because if that's the case I will try that first and go from there. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the sw.

Timmbo

yes, both wires going to the back of the head unit and send them right to ground.

VinceG
Car: 2008 - Nissan Armada LE (Smoke) - Trade-In
2009 - Nissan Armada LE (Silver) - Totaled
2011 - Nissan Armada Platinum (Silver)
2012 - QX56 - Fully Loaded (Platinum Graphite)

Timmbo & marctronixx

Thanks for the fast responses!
I finished the Mod on my 2012 QX56 earlier this week and it works perfectly! :dblthumb:

Adding to the details that marctronixx stated above……For others who want to do this mod…Here is what I did…….

Please keep in mind that this is for the (2011-2012-2013) and perhaps beyond Infiniti QX 56.

I removed the factory radio to gain access to the wiring harness on the back of the head unit.
Please refer to the Factory Service Manuals for how to remove the dash/panels to gain access. Located Here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/ Thanks Timmbo!! ;)

I used: AV.pdf – (Page 100) for the radio/nav wiring harness pin out diagram
IP.pdf – (Pages 15-19) for how to remove the dash panels – Thanks Marctronixx ;)

I cut the speed sensor wire (Brown/White Stripe Wire) #82 and wired a $4 radio shack SPST relay switch in-line with this wire. I cut the parking brake wire (White Wire) #65 and just grounded the side from the radio. This makes the radio think the parking brake is always on. Don’t worry, the parking brake light will not stay lit on the dash unless you actually apply the parking brake. All parking brake function and lights work normally.
That’s it, after you put everything back together, you’re basically done!

Ok…there are 3 ways to actually do this…

First: The way I did outlined above, using the SPST switch in-line with the speed sensor and just grounding the parking brake. The advantage of this is that anytime the SUV is stopped, (mod relay on or off) you have access to the all nav controls and ability to watch the DVD. The possible disadvantage is that under a factory/dealer diagnostic test, the parking brake will always appear on from the radio’s perspective. Not even sure if this would ever be an issue or even show up under any diagnostic test, just something to think about….worth the possible trade-off for me.
I have used this method on 3 Armadas (2008, 2009 & 2011) and now on a QX56 (2012) – Works Perfectly!!!

Second: The next method of course is to use a DPDT switch in-line with both the speed sensor and parking brake. The advantage here is that you can technically switch the mod off and be completely back to factory condition on a diagnostic test. The disadvantage is that each time you stop; you still have to switch the relay to mod mode or actually apply the parking brake to watch a DVD.

Third: There are a few sellers on the Internet that sell a plug and play relay set that does not involve cutting any wires for about $300. However, I assume that you still have to pull the dash apart to gain access to the wiring harness. I have never used any of these, and quite frankly they seem way over priced given the fact that you still have to do most of the hard work just getting access to the needed wires/harness and then putting everything back together.

On a side note, there is a wire on the harness #81 (Reverse Signal). I was tempted to, but didn’t, wire a relay switch in line here to allow viewing of the exterior cameras while moving. Has anyone tried this??? If I push my camera button, I can view the cameras (Front/Sides), but they black-out at a speed over 7 MPH. At first, I thought I would not even have to do anything to this wire, and the cameras would be viewable at full speed just by toggling the speed sensor relay (wire #82). But for some reason, the cameras still go black at speeds over 7MPH, even if the speed sensor relay is switched to Nav/DVD mod mode…..Any thoughts????

On another side Note: After I put everything back together, and started up the QX56, my airbag light would continue to blink. I pulled everything back apart to see if the passenger airbag plug came loose, but everything was ok. I was very careful to work around the airbag, and had the battery negative terminal disconnected, so you can imagine, this drove me crazy for a couple of hours trying to trouble shoot the problem with no real success. :confused: Then I came across info on another Armada forum saying that many times when you are working around the airbag sensors, even with the battery negative terminal disconnected, you may still need to reset the airbag warning light.

Since some of you guys here are new owners I thought I'd save you a trip to the dealer if you start modifying your armadas/Qx and run into this. I'm not sure what exactly set's it off (other than pulling things apart and tripping a sensor) but at some point you may end up with a flashing airbag sensor light. Here is how to reset it yourself.

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

I didn’t think it would, but it Worked!!!!! and I have not had any problems since!! :dblthumb: :dblthumb:
This procedure may work with other Nissan & Infiniti vehicles as well.
Don’t worry, if there is a real problem with your airbag system, the light will continue to blink.

PS - Timmbo - This forum is awesome and you do a tremendous job running it. :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Timmbo

Wow! Nice post, thanks for the great feedback and the compliments!!!!

VinceG

Actually, my SECOND method outlined above can be done with either a DPDT relay, as I first indicated, or for more simplistic purposes, a DPST (Double Pole SINGLE Throw) relay switch. The DPST relay actually switches both the speed sensor and parking brake with just one switch/toggle.

All of these relay switch are available at local Radio Shack stores for $3-5. Some of the relay switches actually have a small indicator light on them. I don't hook this up, because I have found that the light actually flickers faster/slower since the relay is controlling a speed sensor as the vehicle moves moves faster/slower. Just don't supply a ground to the relay switch and it will still work perfectly just w/o the flickering light, which is kind of distracting at night!

marctronixx

vince, nice right up. let me clarify your #2 option, using the DPDT.

I have two DPDT switches set up and this mod is controlled by a lighted led switch. at any time, driving or no, i can flip the switch, activating the mod, anytime, with no reason to use the park brake at all. in this way, you can be driving, and if you needed to get to the nav controls to find an address, etc, you just flip the switch, the radio thinks the brake is applied, and then you have access to the options that are locked out whilst driving. then you can turn off the mod is you need to-all whist driving.

the 300 dollar gadget still has to get to the back of the HU. you basically put the 300 dollar gadget inline with the radio harnesses. therefore no cutting, but good grief batman 300 bucks? the mod we have can be reversed and no one would even know the difference..

the cameras are locked out by the gyrocompass thats embedded in the HU. this was on the 2008 and up armadas. this prevents one from activating all cameras with a simple switch.

there is a diagnostic mode that will allow one to test the cameras, but im not sure if this can be activated when the car is in motion. you can certainly adjust them... which is not a good thing mind you.

EDIT to add more: the way i have this mod setup, it has a blue led light. on my armadas the light never flickered but it was bright though. :)

on the q, i mounted the switch under the steering wheel next to the IBA switch, so i dont see it anyway.

VinceG

Hi marctronixx:

I think that I have a very similar set up to yours. :)

I just laid out 3 possible options for others who want to attempt this mod on their own. I actually used a relay controlled by a basic switch for the speed sensor and just grounded the parking brake from the radio harness side for my first 2008 Armada. This worked Perfectly!!

For my subsequent Armadas and the New 2012 QX56, I no longer used any relays. I just used a basic Radio Shack SPST switch for the Speed Sensor Wire, and just cut the parking brake wire and grounded the side from the HU. I didn't see the need to use a relay since we are dealing with really low voltage here, and the toggle switch can handle the repeated on/off operation without a problem. My 2009 Armada ran fine this way for 2 Years and my Wife's 2011 Armada has been set up this way for 1.5 years without a problem.

This is the cheapest way to perform the mod, and never requires use of the parking brake....of course unless you need the parking brake to actually stop/hold the vehicle in place as intended. :chuckle: :chuckle:

The advantage of not having the parking brake on a toggle/switch is that when you come to a stop, red light, park, etc., you don't have to do anything to See the DVD or control the Nav. If the parking brake was on the switch, you would still have to switch/toggle over to mod mode even when stopped.

I agree that the $300 solutions are way overpriced given the fact that you still have to pull everything apart and put it back together again. This is the bulk of the work/time/effort involved in this mod.

Thanks for the update on the Camera.....I am loving the new Bird's Eye View.......I had my Wife convinced that we were being tracked via a GPS or a space based satellite, until she found the cameras under the mirrors. :chuckle: :chuckle: It's a cool effect when the QX starts to move!

A couple of other side notes (Sorry if these belong in another section of the forum)

As far as the USB reader on the new QX:

As I am sure you recall, the old Compact Flash Reader in the Armadas and pre-2011 QXs had file/folder limitations. You COULD actually use larger than 2GB CF Cards (I used 4 & 8 GB cards); however there was still a max file limitation of 512 total files on the card. Which made me a bit crazy given that I had to keep switching CF Cards to listen to different music when I could actually fit all 3000 songs on one larger card. But instead I had to divide the music up on to 6+ cards with under 512 files/mp3s per card. I'm sure we all went through this in some manner!

Per the owner’s manual, the new 2011-2012 QXs still have this limitation…See Section/Page 4-48 (The limitation is specified as: Folder levels: 8, Folders: 255 (including root folder), Files: 512 (Max. 255 files for one folder).

However upon testing this with different USB flash drives, these limits/restrictions do NOT seem to apply. ;) ;)
I just put 715 files in on folder on an 8GB flash drive, and all 715 files showed up in the QX, and I randomly picked files to play including the first and last few and they played just fine. While I have not tried to nest deeper then 8 folder levels, and probably never will need to do so for music & movies, the 255/per folder limit and 512/max limit do NOT seem to apply for the USB. I had really hoped that the Armadas were going to remove these restrictions after the 2008 for the 2009-2012, but they never did. At least it new QXs seem to be able to view/play without limitation. I plan to test further and see if I can actually view/play all 3000+ files in multiple folders on 1 Flash Drive….I will report back soon!!! PS....Timmbo: Have you tried this out in your new JX??

As far As playing mp3s via an Android Phone connected to the USB port, I have not been able to make this work. I can stream music via my android phone via Bluetooth to the QX and that works fine, but I can not play directly via USB.

When I plug in the android phone via USB, the QX displays: “Reading USB Memory” for a few seconds, and then Displays: “Check USB Memory or IPod” Tried to put the phone in charge only mode, disk drive mode, pass-through mode to no avail. Also tried moving mp3 files to/from the phone’s memory vs. the SD card memory to no avail. Any Ideas?????? An IPod is not an Option! I love apple stock and have owned it for some time, but hate Apple’s "closed proprietary" ecosystem.

VinceG

Hi marctronixx:

Oh one other note: I think the rocker switches that you are using are higher quality than the Radio Shack switches that I have used. As far as the light flickering, my switches have a very small red light that is intended to be used to indicate on/off position. However, when used with a speed sensor, it tends to flicker slower/faster at different speeds. I think the voltage on the speed sensor wire varies at different speeds. This is why you can still see the dvd/ and control the nav at very low speeds. When you hit a certain speed, the voltage on this wire increases to a limit that the HU is designed to cut off the DVD and nav controls. so I think it's the voltage fluctuation on this wire that causes flickering?? So I just don't ground the switch and the light stays off.

I think your style rocker light (red or blue) is intended more to illumination purposes...to be seen at night, and I am sure it stays lit regardless of the switch/rocker position on/off.

I mounted my switch over near my left knee in next to the mirror and other buttons in this cluster.

Timmbo

Personally, I would always suggest having a way to easily return everything to a "stock" position. Because of that i like using the DPDT switch so that the Parking Brake can be returned to a "stock" position.

All great ideas, and all MUCH better than the $300 plug and play, that is a lot of money for something so simple, but maybe to some people the $300 is worth the added simplicity, but keep in mind you still have to pull apart the dash a little.

marctronixx

Vince,

good write ups bro. yeah the birds eye view is fascinating...

the LED on the switch only comes on when the mod is powered. its off when the mod is off.

i have an android handset (Sprint-evo 4G LTE) and ive not thought about using the USB port because BT streaming works perfectly. perhaps ill try this in a day or so and post my feedback.

VinceG

Interesting....Are you using a relay in conjunction with the switch? Using a relay with the switch would basically eliminate the flickering. I stopped using relays for the last few times I did this mod.

I have an HTC Rezound 4G on Verizon Wireless. I agree, the Bluetooth works well, although I do not see any song info (such as artist/title/time/etc) on the QX screen when I stream audio mp3s. I have to change tracks from the phone. Although I have to admit, I have not really played with the Bluetooth Audio too much yet, other to just test connectivity and audio quality, with are booth great. The Bluetooth phone functionality works great as well.

One thing that's also nice is not having to touch OK to warning message/notice on the Nav screen each time the vehicle starts up to be able to view the maps/nav.

PS...I tested out the USB input further and it seems as if there are NOT any limitations on the number of songs/folders. I have put several thousand songs on to one SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ33-016G-B35, and all of the songs show up and play in the QX. I am loving this!

marctronixx

yep, using two DPDT relays in the system. still the two wire hookup (park brake, VSS).

the reason we dont see track info on the screen is because HTC does not support this function for BT. its not the fault of the car.

its super easy for me to use BT. i use a program called wifi file explorer. you basically install this app on your phone, and you can type in a IP address on your computer to connect to the wireless phone--with no need to connect it with a cable.

this way i just drag and drop files to the phone and they sync wirelessly. no need to pull out my USB thumb drive (I just use the thumb drive to store video).

the main reason I grabbed the Q was because of the technology...

Timmbo

Does anyone know if this same mod works on a newer Chevy Suburban/Tahoe?

VinceG

I owned a Suburban back in 2006 prior to my first Armada. At that time, I actually had Kenwood aftermarket stereo system that I installed with a screen that would eject in/out like a cd tray and then tilt up/down for viewing. To make the nav & DVD work while driving, all I had to do was ground the parking brake wire. The Suburban/Tahoe were redesigned a year or two later, but I assume that it would be the same concept - locating the parking brake and/or speed sensor wire and installing a toggle and or relay. One thing about the Suburban/Tahoe, is that the Nav System is not hard drive based. I think that you still have to have the mapping DVD-ROM.

I googled and found this out there for starters: http://www.coastaletech.com/gen6lockpick.htm

VinceG

marctronixx:

Thanks again for the update on BT. It's another great feature of the new QX! :dblthumb:

What format are you using for movies that you watch via the usb port?
Many of the movies that we rent via Redbox, I rip to (mpg or mp4) and store them on my home servers, but the average file size is usually 5-8 GB. Since we usually watch the movies on large screens, I do not want to sacrifice quality for compression, and with today's cheap hard drive storage prices, fortunately I don't have to. :)

I would love to transfer a few of these movies (without shrinking the file size) on to a USB flash drive to play in the QX, hovever I saw that there was a 2GB file size limit per movie?

This is the next thing that I plan to test out this weekend!

marctronixx

i think the Q likes Divx files, so i use that. yes compressing them to use for large screens is disaster, and i dont compress movies/files i rip to watch from my home server either, but i DO make two copies of a file that i want to see in the Q. the screen is much smaller so compressing the files will not show up on those 8 inch screens.

the files come out to just under 2GB a piece.

Cuzz73

I have read through this post and am wondering if the DPDT procedure is the same for an 2006 QX56? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Timmbo

No, the 2007 and older QX56 DOES NOT have the DVD feed even being sent to the Navigation screen. You have to purchase a unit like the one from TV and Nav2go. That unit allows you to take the DVD feed from the player up to the front Nav screen. There is then no other override needed, but it is more expensive and a bit more work. I did this on my 2004 QX56

z0neblitz
Car: 2008 Nissan Armada LE

I think I finally worked up the courage and got the wife's permission to do this mod possibly tomorrow, but I have a few questions as I've never messed with wiring too much before. I plan on getting a DPDT switch and was going to try and run the switch out below the glove box and attach it around there with some velcro.

My basic understanding is that the I need to snip the vss wire coming off the plug attached to the metal box and attach one end to say post 1 of the DPDT and the other end to post 2, and then snip the parking brake wire also coming off the metal box plug and attach it to say post 3 of the DPDT and the other end to post 4 of the DPDT. Now from what I've read on here is that post 5 or 6 then should be the ground posts, unless the particular switch has them labeled as other ones. Am I doing ok so far?

I haven't bought the switch or wires yet, but what I described above is the type of DPDT I'm looking for without a center off, and I believe I'm safe with using 22 gauge speaker wire to splice off to the DPDT, right? What also is confusing me is for the grounding of the DPDT. Do I need to cut some wire to run off the ground posts of the DPDT? And if so, for both posts (say post 5 & 6) or just for one of the ground posts? And what's a good place/way to ground the end not connected to DPDT? As I said, I don't know much about wiring in general so how would i recognize a 12v ground, etc or can I simply attach the wire somehow to the metal frame inside the dash, and if so how?

Sorry for all the silly questions, but we're about to take a long road trip and I would really like to be able to input gps POIs and whatnot on the fly during the drive, and let the wife watch some movies. Thanks.

Timmbo

You should attach the ground to a metal part of the internal framework. Use a DPDT switch with just an on and off. Why do you want to run the switch all the way over to the glovebox?

Good luck! Sounds like you have everything planned out well!!!

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”