'08-'12 Armada/QX56 Watch DVD's on your Navigation Screen!

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
marctronixx

yes he is. or you can make it yourself and save about 30-40 bux....

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

There really is not that much to it, or you can simply use a DPDT switch that costs about $5 at Radio shack, that is what I did on my G37.

Fespy
Car: 2010 QX56

Just completed the mod but need to know if this is normal or I did something wrong.

I used the DPDT switch method on a Nav equipped 2010 QX56. I have the video working on the front screen but when I change back to the NAV (switch off/stock set up), it cannot locate me. Turning the car off doesn't help. I always have to go back and reset my current location.

As stated before, the switch does override and allow video when moving but when turned off, the NAV cannot locate my new position. I have checked grounds and all other connections but now need help.

Is this normal? I am about to head out on a long trip and if I have to reset my position each time, it will be come tedious.

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

marctronixx

no this is not normal. once you reset the system back to normal operation, the gryo in the HU will update your location within a second.

the VSS and park brake wire are the ones you need to tap into.

i would double check your connections. if you want to post up which harness slots you tapped into, one can verify they are ok.

could be an issue with one of your relays also...

Fespy

I used a DPDT switch from Radio Shack so no relays involved.

Wire/pin locations are 80 and 82. They are the exact color as pictured in the photos. If the switch is "Off", everything orperates as normal (DVD-rear only, navigation, etc). When the switch is "On" DVD plays up front. When turned back off, the Nav doesn't pick up new location.

The diagram is reference to show wires away from AV and to Harness and what location on the switch.

While reading all of the posts I think there is some confusion on what 1,2,3,4,5,6 locations on the DPDT switch actually are. Hopefully the diagram shows a glaring problem.

Thanks

Timmbo

As stated, this is not normal. The only thing that immediately comes to mind is one of your wires that is in the "stock" connection is not a good clean connection. Within a second or two of returning the switch to the "stock" position the NAV automatically updates and knows exactly where you are.

Fespy

I have checked all connections and re-wired anything that even looked suspicious. The GPS still doesn't relocate the current position.

I will reset all navigation to default and see if there is a setting in the system that I am missing.

Timmbo

That is really strange, I have never heard of that. I assume you give it several seconds to try and update when you flip the switch back to the "stock" position???? I wish I had more ideas, but that is really odd. Is the vehicle in motion when you are try to let it "relocate" the vehicle?

Fespy

I do live in an area that has a lot of trees and I read the navigation manual to see if there was a reset of the system. It mentions several times that the GPS may take more time to reacquire if there are obstructions (tree and buildings).

I am hopeful that is the issue. I will test later this week or this weeekend on the interstate to see what happens.

Thanks for the input. I'll post a response either way.

marctronixx

I think its the DPDT switch and/or a wire could not be making contact as mentioned by tim.

let me ask this, when you turn the switch back to default position so the nav starts to work, you mention it does not auto locate. well in this "limbo state", can you CONTINUE to watch a video up front whilst the car is in motion or does it give you the nag screen and say "cant view while car is in motion..." message? (whatever the message says.. i forget but it says something to that effect...)

i hope there is not anything messed up elsewhere in the chain... :(

mtcollins
Car: 2008 Armada LE

Ok, so let me clarify something if I may. When the switch is 'on', if I change the screen to display navigation, I should not expect the navigation to function, correct? However, when I switch to 'off', then the nav should auto locate and find my location? Is that accurate? Thanks. MC

marctronixx

yes accurate.

the nav screen will show and you may even see the arrow move, but your tracking will not be accurate and will be useless until you turn off the hack.

VinceG
Car: 2008 - Nissan Armada LE (Smoke) - Trade-In
2009 - Nissan Armada LE (Silver) - Totaled
2011 - Nissan Armada Platinum (Silver)
2012 - QX56 - Fully Loaded (Platinum Graphite)

Hi All:

I have done this mod 3X - 2008 LE, 2009 LE & 2011Platinum - It works Great! In almost 4 years I have never had a single problem with any 3 vehicles above. We are going to get rid of the 2008 LE and trade it in for a 2012 QX56. Has anyone performed this mod for the 2011-2012 QX56. I know that the mod was the exact same for the Armada & QX56 up to 2010, but I assume that it is somewhat-to-very different for the re-designed QX56 starting in 2011. I assume it is the same concept of identifying the speed sensor and parking brake wires and splicing in a toggle switch. Any help in identifying these wires and how to take the dash apart w/o breaking any retaining clips etc. would be greatly appreciated. The instructions and pictures in this forum for the 2008-2012 Armada and 2008-2010 QX56 are perfect!

I have to say that this is a MUST-HAVE mod for me! After having it for 4 years, I don't think I could live without it! :) :yesnod

Thanks!!

marctronixx

vince,

i did the EXACT same thing you did. i had a 2008 LE, traded in for a 12 qx all options. purchased the 12 in october 2011 and installed the relay (not the 300 dollar option) and it has worked as expected.

its the same setup on the back of the radio and the parking brake. the system is the same as the armada 2008 and up.

Timmbo

It works the same way on the new QX56 and any other Infiniti for that matter, I did it last week on my new JX35.

VinceG

Thanks Guys! Still early in the process, but I think this will seal the deal for me....I will keep you posted!

Vince

joselo100
Car: 2009 NISSAN ARMADA LE WITH NAV AND DVD

HI EVERYONE, IM NEW WITH THE GROUP. I JUST GOT A 2009 NISSAN ARMADA LE WITH NAV AN DVD SYSTEM AND I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT I DO THE MOD RIGHT. IF I FOLLOW THIS INSTRUCTIONS IT SHOULD DO THE TRICK? I'M NOT TO GOOD DOING THIS KIND OF THINGS SO THAT'S WHY I WANT TO MAKE SURE. THANKS

There is an E-Brake wire and a VSS wire that go to the back of my AV/Control Unit (stereo head unit). Both of those wires need to be cut and connected to a DPDT switch. Basically when I flip the switch, the two wires from the AV unit will be grounded, fooling them to think the E-Brake is on and the the vehicle is in motion.

THIS IS ALL I HAVE TO DO?

Timmbo

You got it! Let me know if you have any questions! I am the master when it comes to this mod!

marctronixx

Timmbo is quite modest... :p

he is one of many people who have done this mod. ive taken apart 3 armadas and one 2012 qx to do this install. its super easy. two wires if you are doing the relay way, or plug and play if you are doing the $300.00 way.

joselo100

ok, thanks
I will be doing it today. I will keep you post it to let you know if I burn the Armada or not. lol......... :lolling:

joselo100

ok, i did the mod but I can only see the movie with the emergency brake on it. Any idea? maybe a bad conection?

marctronixx

what pin # did you splice into on the back of the radio? parking brake and VSS wire. sounds like you have reversed the connection.

what type of relay did you use?

joselo100

This Is what I did. Can you tel me if this is correct?

Pin # 80 from unit conect to 1on DPDT SW & Pin # 82 from unit conect to #2 DPDT SW
From # 3 on DPDT SW to 80 away from unit & from #4 on DPDT SW to 82 away from unit
From 5 & 6 on DPTD SW togethere to 12v ground

Is the same set up as the green and blue diagram from FESPY a few post up.

Timmbo

I don't know off hand which pin #'s, you might have a bad ground connection for the Parking Brake. Are you using the DPDT switch method?

joselo100

yes, that's the method im using. but i got the SW without the cables. That could be the problem? what u think? maybe not doing good contact.

Timmbo

SW without cables? I soldered the wire to the DPDT switch to make sure I had a perfect connection.

joselo100

I think we just found my problem.lol......... I went and wiggle the sw and the screen go back and forward. I will work on it this afternoon after I get out of work. I will let you know but thank for everything. This mod is great. and really easy. I went to a place 3 weeks ago and they ask me for $500 to do it. I'm very happy with the savings. ;)

Timmbo

And it works sooooo perfectly!!!!

marctronixx

apologies im late to the party but pleased you had tim on the assist! glad you god it figured out it seems and yes for a couple bucks you can have front row entertainment. this mod is amazing.

VinceG

Finally picked up the 2012 QX56 - Similar but different to the Armada in many ways. Love the look of the 22" tires.
My wife can't believe I am in the driveway/garage pulling it apart just hours after picking it up :ohno:

OK - I am ready to start the DVD/Nav Mod. I have done this 3X on Armadas (2008, 2009 & 2011). This is my first attempt on the new 2012 QX56. I understand the concept of the relay for the speed sensor, and on the Armadas, I actually just grounded the parking brake wire. - Plan to do the same on the QX just using a $10 relay from amazon.

Just trying to figure out how to get the dash apart to start. I don't want to start pulling too hard and start breaking clips. Any advise on how to get the QX dash apart would be greatly appreciated.

PS...Is it still pins 80 for the parking brake and 82 for the speed sensor?

Anyone have the Service Manual in PDF format for the 2012 QX?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Vince

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”