'08-'12 Armada/QX56 Watch DVD's on your Navigation Screen!

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

AWESOME, good to hear! ENJOY!

marctronixx

All,

to those with the 2008+ armada and 2011-2012 qx,

there is a cat (tintmasters is his username) who can make these kits for you for 50-60 dollars (depending on if you get a lighted switch, etc) and that includes shipping. his kits are put together clean. i drilled a hole for the switch down by the OBD II port so its out of the way.

ive got a 2012 qx and i had his kit in my 08 armada. this one works just properly with no issues. he also adds some zip ties to keep the install clean.

I know this thread is pretty lengthy and it seems there is a schematic already posted based on the recent posts ive seen. ive not seen much talk about the 2011-2012 Qxs in the last couple pages so i thought to post this bit of info.

Timmbo

marctronixx wrote:All,

to those with the 2008+ armada and 2011-2012 qx,

there is a cat (tintmasters is his username) who can make these kits for you for 50-60 dollars (depending on if you get a lighted switch, etc) and that includes shipping. his kits are put together clean. i drilled a hole for the switch down by the OBD II port so its out of the way.

ive got a 2012 qx and i had his kit in my 08 armada. this one works just properly with no issues. he also adds some zip ties to keep the install clean.

I know this thread is pretty lengthy and it seems there is a schematic already posted based on the recent posts ive seen. ive not seen much talk about the 2011-2012 Qxs in the last couple pages so i thought to post this bit of info.

I actually have that set-up from Shane as well. I originally had it on my '08 Armada, then I installed it on my 2010 Armada. It does work nice, but it is much cheaper to install a DPDT switch (under $10 total) and the DPDT swtich method works just as good and DOES NOT require the 12v power source. I used the DPDT switch method on my G37 and on a buddy's Murano as well. Both methods work well, but at this point I prefer the DPDT method. GREAT MOD THOUGH!!!!!!! :dblthumb:

marctronixx

yeah 12V is for the led in the switch so you dont need it. the switch in the kit is a DPDT...

of course the mod can be done for cheap. those who are not comfortable with fabricating these and/or dont have time to do so can benefit from shanes work. i wanted to post up it works just fine on the newer qx's since i have not seen any one mention it...

Timmbo

Actually, the 12v powers the relay, you don't necessarily have to use a switch that illuminates. Shane's kit uses a DPDT Relay triggered by a regular on/off switch. The other method uses a DPDT switch that requires no power.

skizza
Car: 2011 Nissan Armada SL

I live in Orlando Florida and just recently leased the 2011 Armada SL with DVd, no navigation. I really want to activate the front display while the vehicle is in motion. i don't know anybody local who can help me.

For somebody who is not a mechanic, are either of these kits realistic for the average person to install? Or, would you highly recommend paying a mechanic/tech to do this install?

Secondly, which kit is easier to install..shane's kit or the cheaper option? I want to be able to keep the vehicle in normal condition down the road for when my lease it up. or at least be able to easily change it back to the normal setup if needed.

Thank you all for the help!

marctronixx

timmbo, you are obvioulsy more educated in this area than i so i concede with what you say. :)

skizza,

ive used shanes kit in my 2008 and now in a 2012 qx and they are great. he builds the kit (or you can build it yourself) and sends everything you need. you have to cut two wires which is no big deal.

you can absolutely do it yourself. i dont know about the other kit but i would imagine its just as simple.. they are both pretty much the same thing at the end of the day...

Timmbo

Shane's kit does take a lot of the thinking out of the equation!

paulanda
Car: 2011 Infiniti QX 56
2011 Mercedes GL550

Hello, I am new to this site but I am interested in getting the bypass kit that you all have mentioned. I was also wondering if any of you know if there is a simular kit for a 2011 Mercedez GL550? I tried to send this in a private message to marctronixx, but wasn't able to due to my "new member" status. Thanks in advance for any help that you may provide.

Timmbo

Happy Holidays and welcome to the QX56 Forum!!!!

To be honest with you, it really is not a kit. It is basically a matter of finding the VSS wire and the Parking Brake wire and tapping into those to wires to install a DPDT switch. You would need to check out a service manual for the GL550 to find out where those are located.

paulanda
2011 Mercedes GL550

I see, so the kit that marctronixx mentioned for $50-60 aren't something that I can buy from someone? I am not sure that this is something that I'll attempt to do myself, I'll probably take it in and have it done if I can. I would however attempt to do it if I were able to purchase a "kit" that had parts and instructions. In the post at the top of this page marctronixx mentioned that "tintmasters" sales a kit, unfortunately I am not savy enough with this site to figure out how to search for someone based on a username.
Thanks again for the help

marctronixx

@paul.

Shanes kit is excellent! i have bought two of his kits and they were quality work.

Tim is correct in that its not too difficult to fabricate this up. its just a couple of relays.. but if you are like me and dont have time to hunt for parts and the patience to build it, his kit is the way to go.

I dont know how this would work in a benz. You are better off posting on a Benz forum.

paulanda
2011 Mercedes GL550

Great, thanks marctronixx. I have googled for tintmasters and I think that I have a good phone number for shane, I'm going to try to call him tomorrow.
Thanks again

Pumaro
Car: 2013 Infinity QX 56 4x4
2012 Armada Platinum (Lakeshore Slate) sold
2007 335i (Monaco Blue)

Which method is best for a 2012 Armada ?

marctronixx

depends.

if you are good with electronics and wiring up relays, etc, then go buy the parts at rat shack.

if you want to have a pre fab ready to install device, go with shanes method.. the method i use. i can attest to his build quality. i had his kit in my 2008 armada.. it was in there when i sold it a couple months ago. i now purchased another one of his kits in my 2012 qx...

Timmbo

It is pretty simply to wire in the DPDT switch, it is also easy to wire in the relays from Shane, but you also need to tap into the 12v power for the relay method, and the relay method is more expensive. Both methods work equally as well, and both will work on the 2012 Armada!

Pumaro
Car: 2013 Infinity QX 56 4x4
2012 Armada Platinum (Lakeshore Slate) sold
2007 335i (Monaco Blue)

I think I will try the cheap method DPDT switch method. Do I have to worry about voiding a warranty doing this?

Timmbo

Well, if you did something wrong and it was clearly caused by your mistake, then that would void the warranty, otherwise no. I have had the vent fan motors replaced once, and now a second time because of the recall that was on them. Your 2012 should be good, recall was only on the 2010 and 2011's.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Timbo - Thank you!
I have an EX35 without nav and have searched quite a bit for this info (I couldn't find good info on the EX forum - or nothing this good at least!)

Thanks!

Timmbo

XIS wrote:Timbo - Thank you!
I have an EX35 without nav and have searched quite a bit for this info (I couldn't find good info on the EX forum - or nothing this good at least!)

Thanks!
NO PROBLEM!!! Happy to help out, ANYTIME!!! Please let me know if you have any questions on this modification! :bigthumb:

Brandon D
Car: 2011 Armada Platinum
2008 F350 6.4l 575hp
1965 Mustang Coupe 425hp

Thanks to everyone for the posts and to Timmbo for all the info. I just sent an email to Shane and will be attempting this mod myself once he gets back to me and I receive the harness. Cheers

Timmbo

Hey Brandon, the relay pack from Shane is nice, but it is pretty darn easy doing this with a DPDT switch as well. That is the method I used on my wife's G37.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

2000ag

I just tried this, and didn't have the same luck everyone else seems to have. I have an 09 without Nav. I am having trouble with the grounding. I cut both wires, and when I reconnect the ebrake wires, I get video, so I understand that there is no reason to ground the VSS. I am trying to ground to the cigarette lighter. I used a tap splice to connect it to the green wire coming off the cigarette lighter, but that didn't work.

Anyone have any suggestion on where to ground?

2000ag

I finally got it. I just used a piece of speaker wire and grounded the ebrake to one of the screws that holds the video screen in. It works perfectly. Thanks to everyone on this thread.

Timmbo

Hmmm, interesting, I actually have mine tapped into the ground on the 12v source.

Helios
Car: Nissan Armada 2011

Hi all. I am new to this forum, but it looks very helpful.
I have Armada 2011 without Navigation and no DVD. It is basically SV model with Driver's package, so it does include a backup camera and Bose audio system (Bose Audio without Navigation they call it).
As everyone else, I am trying to feed a video signal to my front lcd screen. Since I don't have DVD installed, my problem is a little different. I have external media player I am planning to use for the AV source. It has RGB out and regular analog video out. Going through AV diagnostics manual (Thanks Timmbo for providing a link) a developed 2 approaches to do this:

1. Interrupting video signal from camera and replacing it with external signal from Media player.
This would require for the AV Module to get Reverse Signal T105 (12v -on / 0v off) and some king of switch to go from camera video to external source. I figured if I supply 12 v to T105 and Video (+) to T65 and Video (-) to T64 this should probably work?

2.Going through Display Unit (Screen) connections I found Aux image input T15(Comp IN +) and Aux image ground T5 (Comp In -) and they activate when Aux mode is selected! This way I can sinc the sound as well through Aux audio input.

Will any of these work? will I get acceptable video quality?
Any input is welcome, I hope Timmbo is still there. :) thanks

Timmbo

I am here, sorry for the delay, and welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you here in the Armada Forum. Honestly, this is over my head, did you look at the FSM?

Helios
Car: Nissan Armada 2011

Timmbo wrote:I am here, sorry for the delay, and welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you here in the Armada Forum. Honestly, this is over my head, did you look at the FSM?
Hi, Timmbo! Yes, I did - that's where all potential mods are coming from. Do you think the video quality of the display is good enough to attempt this?

Timmbo

I do think it would be a good quality signal.

mtcollins
Car: 2008 Armada LE

Timmbo or others - Does anyone know if Shane/Tintmasters is still making the mod available for sale? Thanks. MC

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”