'08-'12 Armada/QX56 Watch DVD's on your Navigation Screen!

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Any good clean metal part will work. One thing that works easy since you would already pulling out the AV unit is to tap into the ground going to the 12v port. That is easy and it is a great ground. That is what I did on my Armada.

His Grace
Car: 2010 Nissan Armada

Timmbo,

I have read through this entire thread and I want to thank you for being patient and eagerly responding to all the members, character traits of a great moderator.

I bought my wife a 2010 Armada, platinum edition, and will try and do this either tonight or tomorrow night, need to get a DPDT switch, I guess I will try Best Buy, not sure if we have a radio shack anymore.

Just a quick run through, please inform me if I am wrong;

1. Purchase DPDT switch and some 20-22guage wire

2. Gently pull the 12volt/ radio assembly out? Correct me if I am wrong, earlier in this thread, I believe you said to pull the 12 volt panel out, and then pull off the front molding around the Head Unit? and then there are four screws that must be undone to remove the Head Unit/Radio assembly, with a towel in place, place the head unit down on the center console, locate the VSS and Ebrake wires (I believe pin 80 and 82).

3. Cut the wires going to pin 80 and 82, leaving enough room on the Head Unit side for both wires to ground them to a nearby metal? I think this may be where I am getting a little off. Do you ground the Head Unit side of the wires (80-82) to nearby metal, or do you attach 20-22 gauge wire to them and then those connect to the DPDT switch, along with the distal ends of the 80-82 wires that go back into the vehicle?

4. Once the two wires that are attached to the electrical board in the vehicle are extended with the extra 20-22 gauge wire, and the two wires that are attached to the Head Unit or extended with 20-22 gauge wire, then you attach all four of those wires to the DPDT switch in positions 1,2,3,4 on the DPDT switch (1 and 2 to the VSS distal and proximal end, and 3 and 4 to the E brake distal and proximal end, and that leaves 5 and 6 for a ground?

For the ground, on the DPDT switch, do you just connect some of that 20-22 gauge wire to them (5 and 6) and attach it to a surrounding metal to ground it?

I know I have something not right in all this jumble, just trying to figure out if you are supposed to ground the 80 and 82 wire from the Head Unit to a nearby metal, or does those ends need to be lengthened with 20-22 gauge wire and run to the DPDT switch?

Sorry for all the questions

TJ

Timmbo

First off, I am very sorry for the delay in responding! Thank you very much for the compliments, and congrats on purchasing the awesome Platinum Armada!!!! Good choice of vehicle!!!

1) yes!
2) yes!
3) correct, you will ground the ends coming from the back of the AV unit. You can ground to a metal location or you can use splice into the ground wire of the 12v socket outlet (this is the ground I used on my Armada, on my G I found a metal location.
5) correct, positions 5 & 6 are the locations you will actually connect to the ground. I literally slid one wire right thru positions 5 & 6 and soldered them in place and connected to the ground.

Use additional wire whereever you feel it will make you job easier.

You DO NOT directly connect those 2 wires from the back of the AV unit to the ground, those 2 leads go to the DPDT and again, #5 & #6 get directly connected to the ground.

All make sense? Sorry again for the delay! Let me know if you have any questions!

His Grace
Car: 2010 Nissan Armada

Thank you very much, will keep you updated.

Timmbo

Please do, we should be able to get this corrected!

Tennessee
Car: 08 Mada

Hey Timmbo, I'm new to the site and was wondering if you can show pictures on how you wired the relay switches on this modification?
---TN

Timmbo wrote:Here is what I found. These are the complete instructions on how to be able to view your DVD's on the front Nav screen while the vehicle is in motion. This will also work if you DO NOT have the DVD player and you are sending a feed through the Aux Inputs.

Half way down on the left side it says "from +12volt switch" That is the wire that will trigger your relays from the switch. I didn’t show the switch wiring, this will be different depending on what type of switch you have. If you have just a basic "un-lit" switch then one end will go to your switched 12volt source and the other end will go to the relays like I have shown. A good source for your switched 12volts is at the 12volt socket in the black pocket. this is a switched source and the relays are not passing any current so this power will be more than enough..

As far as relays, go into any audio shop and ask them for a basic 12 volt Bosch/tyco 30 amp relay. If they don’t have that then ask for a Potter & Brumfield 40 amp. This will be the same place that should have your standard 1amp diode. And usually will have a cool round rocker like I used.

Phattacuss
Car: 2011 Nissan Armada SL

Hello Everyone, im new to the forum & have been interested in this mod & would greatly appreciate anyone's help.... Basically I wanted to go with the DPDT switch option, now i think i remembered reading somewhere in the forum that with this method i dont have to use relays, is this true? if so, do i just work with the VSS, PARKING BRAKE, GROUND wires & the switch along with extra 20 gauge wire? PLEASE, correct me if i am wrong. THANKS for your help!!

Phattacuss

Oh & i have a 2011 armada with factory dvd but without a Nav.. Thanks again!!!

Timmbo

Welcome to the Armada Forum Phattacuss! The staff here at NICOclub is thrilled to have you as a new member!

Yes, you are correct. If you go the DPDT switch method you DO NOT need any relays, and it make it a VERY inexpensive mod! You are correct, you tap into the Parking Brake wire and the VSS wire, and make sure you use a good ground or you can also tap into the ground for the 12v outlet right in the front console area.

Enjoy the new Armada!!!!!

Phattacuss

GREAT... I appreciate your quick response! Thank you... Im glad to be a part of a forum that has very helpful & knowledgeable people as members! Thanks again!

Timmbo

No problem, let me know if you have any questions!

Phattacuss

Hello again timmbo, im sorry to disturb you again but this time i think this would be the last.... Im ready to wire up the switch & i tried looking for the previous post on how to do this but i cant find it. Your probably tired of repeating yourself so many times but would you please help me.... So i cut the parking brake & vss wires (splice additional wire, if needed) & those 2 wires coming from the A/V unit i wire to the ground on the switch (5 & 6) & this is where i forget the remaining positions? Sorry again for the trouble but THANK YOU!

Tennessee

Hey Timmbo, I have an 08 Armada that has aftermarket Myron & Davis dvd installed. Can I follow same steps
to get a movie to play on the front screen? Can you show a picture of the wiring of the relays, I have the rocker switch and 1relay at this time ? HEEEELLLLPPPP!

Timmbo

Phattacuss wrote:Hello again timmbo, im sorry to disturb you again but this time i think this would be the last.... Im ready to wire up the switch & i tried looking for the previous post on how to do this but i cant find it. Your probably tired of repeating yourself so many times but would you please help me.... So i cut the parking brake & vss wires (splice additional wire, if needed) & those 2 wires coming from the A/V unit i wire to the ground on the switch (5 & 6) & this is where i forget the remaining positions? Sorry again for the trouble but THANK YOU!
I could be wrong, I may have to double check, but I believe 5 & 6 go to the ground. 3 & 4 would go to the VSS wire and E Brake wire at the back of the AV Unit, and 1 & 2 to the VSS and E Brake wires away from the AV Unit. Double check though based on the diagram on the switch.

Timmbo

Tennessee wrote:Hey Timmbo, I have an 08 Armada that has aftermarket Myron & Davis dvd installed. Can I follow same steps
to get a movie to play on the front screen? Can you show a picture of the wiring of the relays, I have the rocker switch and 1relay at this time ? HEEEELLLLPPPP!
To be honest with you that is a whole another modification. You need to take your video output from your DVD player and tap into the video inputs on the Nav screen. Not an easy thing to do, I would suggest consulting the FSM to find out where those wires are. I think this would be well over my head. SORRY!

Phattacuss

Sweeet, THANKS mann! I appreciate all your help. Imma get at it again & ill be sure to let u know how it goes.....

Tennessee

No problem, say that I start from scratch. The vehicle doesn't have nav, but it has the screen would there be a way to make it work? Today I tore it down and noticed it had the wires tied in to the wires on the back of the 12v panel?
Just another thought from one Wisconsin Native to another(originally from Racine,WI)

ecowboy

For a qx56 with rear headrest displays, the service manual shows that independent composite signals are pushed from the av unit to each headrest display. I know the purpose of hacking the speed input and parking break wires are to allow full control of the nav screen while moving and getting the composite-out signals pushed to the front display. If one was only interested in getting a dvd displayed while moving then wouldn't just splicing the rear display composite-out of the av unit into the composite-in of the front display result in a picture on the screen while moving. The dvd audio would take care of itself since it is not turned off when the vehicle is moving. Seems like a simple fix for watching dvds on the front display without losing nav functionality. Of course, you still wouldn't be able to input destinations, etc but that's not what the original poster was trying to do. The dvd buttons function normally at speed already to control the dvd on the rear headrest display so that shouldn't be an issue either. Am I missing something here or should I take the plunge into disassembling the wife's qx?

Timmbo

Tennessee wrote:No problem, say that I start from scratch. The vehicle doesn't have nav, but it has the screen would there be a way to make it work? Today I tore it down and noticed it had the wires tied in to the wires on the back of the 12v panel?
Just another thought from one Wisconsin Native to another(originally from Racine,WI)
I know there is a way to make it work, but would take some research of the FSM to find out which 3 wires to tap into for the video input.

Timmbo

ecowboy wrote:For a qx56 with rear headrest displays, the service manual shows that independent composite signals are pushed from the av unit to each headrest display. I know the purpose of hacking the speed input and parking break wires are to allow full control of the nav screen while moving and getting the composite-out signals pushed to the front display. If one was only interested in getting a dvd displayed while moving then wouldn't just splicing the rear display composite-out of the av unit into the composite-in of the front display result in a picture on the screen while moving. The dvd audio would take care of itself since it is not turned off when the vehicle is moving. Seems like a simple fix for watching dvds on the front display without losing nav functionality. Of course, you still wouldn't be able to input destinations, etc but that's not what the original poster was trying to do. The dvd buttons function normally at speed already to control the dvd on the rear headrest display so that shouldn't be an issue either. Am I missing something here or should I take the plunge into disassembling the wife's qx?
First off, welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you as a new member of the QX56 Forum.

To answer your question, yes, that would work, but it would be a total PITA. You would have to first figure out which wires to tap into and then make your connections. It would be much easier to perform the mod with the DPDT swtich.

Timmbo

Phattacuss wrote:Sweeet, THANKS mann! I appreciate all your help. Imma get at it again & ill be sure to let u know how it goes.....
Hey Phattacuss, did you have time to complete the mod yet? If not, be sure to let me know if you have any questions along the way! :bigthumb:

Tennessee

Timmbo wrote:
Tennessee wrote:No problem, say that I start from scratch. The vehicle doesn't have nav, but it has the screen would there be a way to make it work? Today I tore it down and noticed it had the wires tied in to the wires on the back of the 12v panel?
I know there is a way to make it work, but would take some research of the FSM to find out which 3 wires to tap into for the video input.[/quote

I was wondering if I cut the ebrake wire and vss and ground them and run a seperate wire to the aux feed jack that they are using to get a picture to show, because I noticed that if they are watching a movie in the back and I unplug it the picture is lost and when I plug it back the picture returns. Does this make sense

Thanks.

Phattacuss

Hey timmbo, ive cut the wires & attached them to the switch per ur instructions & spliced each ground to each 12v plug. But when i flip the switch a few things happen first, the switch's light doesnt turn on, 2nd the e-brake light on the instrument panel goes on when i turn on the switch (i think thats a good thing, right) & finally, when i play a dvd, it play on the monitor in the back but not up front even when ebrake is applied & car is parked & a msg pops up saying "movie will resume after vehicle stops moving" & this is while im parked in my garage... LOL! any insight?

Timmbo

You didn't ground it properly, and it sounds like you purchased a switch that requires 12v. The switch I used does not require an actual 12v power source. With that being said, you may not actually need the 12v power to make this work. Check the functions of the switch with a voltmeter. I believe the following is true after looking at a diagram I found in my basement for the DPDT switch: going from top down

1 4
2 5
3 6

That is the "visual" of the DPDT switch......

#1 is VSS away from AV
#4 is Parking Brake away from AV
#2 is VSS TO AV
#5 is Parking Brake TO AV
#3 & #6 Go to GROUND (which can and should be the same ground)

Sorry for the confusion, but this should really help you out and I am sure this will take care of the problem. Again, the switch will NOT illuminate unless you connect the power to the switch, but hopefully that is not necessary for this to function or you will have an extra step. Please let me know if this helps!

Timmbo

oh, and by the way, once everything is complete perfectly, the E-Brake WILL NOT illuminate on the dash, that basically means you "tricked" the system. That is why this mod is soooooooooooo awesome!

Phattacuss

Ey timmbo, wassup mann, sorry for the late reply... Anyhow, i just ended using a regular DPDT switch & everything turned out great. Oh, by the way, when i spliced the 5 & 6 ground to the ground for the 12v it didnt work so i took a shot at grounding them to the 2 screws that attach the dash (not the screws you need a magnetic screwdriver) & it worked perfectly! Except for the beeping, So basically what I have now is a situation where the DVD plays while im driving but there's that annoying "beep beep beep" and warning light on the dash telling me to release the parking brake. Is there a fuse or something that i can pull to fix this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Timmbo

I think you grounded the parking brake wire that goes away from the AV unit, when the wire coming from the AV unit is the one that should be grounded.

Phattacuss

Right now i have the VSS wire and E Brake wire at the back of the AV Unit going to 3 & 4. So do i take the e brake wire out of 4 & ground it to 5 or 6 on the switch or do i just ground it somewhere on the car? Thanks

Timmbo

Phattacuss wrote:Right now i have the VSS wire and E Brake wire at the back of the AV Unit going to 3 & 4. So do i take the e brake wire out of 4 & ground it to 5 or 6 on the switch or do i just ground it somewhere on the car? Thanks
See my post that is a few posts earlier. 3 & 6 go to ground. Does that diagram make sense?

Phattacuss

Thanks timmbo for all your help & patience.... It works great & without annoying beeping.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”