'08-'12 Armada/QX56 Watch DVD's on your Navigation Screen!

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
2011QX4Bro
Car: 2011 QX56

Thanks for your help. I will root for the Pack, not even sure how Chicago made it this far they are smoke and mirrors

2011armadalover
Car: 2011 Armada

Has anyone been able to verify the wire numbers for the VSS wire and the E brake wire for a 2011 Nissan Armada? The Armada I am speaking of has a factory DVD and NAV system and like others, I would also like the view the DVD while in motion.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

They are the same positions as the 2010. 2008-2011 are all the same.

2011armadalover

Thanks Timmbo, I am going to give the DPDT method a try. :) My only concern is getting the dash appart.

Timmbo

You know, it is actually very easy. Just make sure you have a magnetic phillips head screwdriver.

I did this mod on my '08 Armada and on my 2010 Armada. I have done this on a Murano, and on our G37xS. The Armada is by far the easiest because there is so much space and the dash comes apart the easiest.

I would totally suggest using the DPDT method, much easier and cheaper.

Let me know if you have any questions at all!

2011armadalover

Thanks for the encouragment. I did pick up a DPDT switch at radio shack. Right now I just picked up a simple toggle with no cetner position (function over form for now). It has 6 poles labeled 1-6. I am pretty sure poles 5 and 6 go to a good ground. What I am not sure of are the rest of the poles 1-4. I assume 1 and 2 would connect to one side of the VSS and Ebrake wires and 3 and 4 would go to the other side.

Also one more thing, tried a bit this morning to removed the 12V recepticle, from what I understand all I need to do is pull and it should come loose correct? I gave up since it pretty cold here and did not want to crack any of the clips.

Timmbo

2011armadalover wrote:Thanks for the encouragment. I did pick up a DPDT switch at radio shack. Right now I just picked up a simple toggle with no cetner position (function over form for now). It has 6 poles labeled 1-6. I am pretty sure poles 5 and 6 go to a good ground. What I am not sure of are the rest of the poles 1-4. I assume 1 and 2 would connect to one side of the VSS and Ebrake wires and 3 and 4 would go to the other side.

Also one more thing, tried a bit this morning to removed the 12V recepticle, from what I understand all I need to do is pull and it should come loose correct? I gave up since it pretty cold here and did not want to crack any of the clips.
Perfect on the switch, that is EXACTLY what you want, 2-position, on and off. You are correct, 5 & 6 go to the ground. On the other four, you have the Brake wire from the AV unit, Brake wire away from the AV unit, VSS from the AV unit, and VSS away from AV unit.

Yes, on the compartment with the "cubby" and the two 12v outlets, pull straight out, sometimes it works best to have your 4 fingers inside of the "cubby" and your thumb sort of wrapped around the bottom and then pull hard straight out. One time I was able to use my index and middle finger on each side of the "cubby" sort of pushing against the outside of the "cubby" while I pulled out.

Needless to say, EVERY time I have done this, and I have NEVER broke a clip. I don't know that you would break anything. Just make sure the vehicle is warm inside and not ice cold (I say that because during my lunch it was a whopping 10 degrees with a -7 wind chill, supposed to be down to -5 tonight plus the wind). Let the beast warm up, then you will be all good, gets pretty hot by the AV unit with the heat blowing.

2011armadalover

Thanks Timmbo, I'll give it a go in the next day or two. GO PACK

2011armadalover

Ok, attempting the MOD, already stuck. What' the trick to removing the 12volt plugs? I removed the blue retainer clips but cannot get the plug off.

Timmbo

You don't have to remove the blue retainer, you just pinch and pull, it is certainly the trickiest of the plugs. I think I may have even squeezed gently using a very small needle nose pliars.

2011armadalover

Ok, I figured it out! Just completed the MOD, works AWESOME. I decided to hide the switch in the little cubby next to the driver side 12V recepticle. That you for all your help!

Timmbo

Awesome!!!!! Glad to hear you got it done! It is such a great mod, totally makes the vehicle a lot more entertainment worthy. I have my switch hidden just underneath the dash in line with my right knee. I like to keep everything nice and stock looking.

So what color Armada do you have anyway? Platinum model?

2011armadalover

2011 Platinum - SMOKE

Timmbo

That's a good color, you have to love the contrast stitching on the interior, I love it on mine. Mine has the light gray interior with the black stitching. My wife and I prefer the lighting color interiors, but the black looks very sporty

2011armadalover

So far we love it. Had a Titan for 5 years, it was time for the upgrade. THe Color was my second choice, I would have Tuscan Sun, but most dealers within 200 miles of the area had, silver, white, or black and a few smoke.

Timmbo

We actually have a good supply of Tuscan suns in our area. I have Lakeshore Slate, that is a tough color to come by, I found mine 3 and half hours away in the Chicago area.

2011armadalover

Overall this mod work really great. One drawback I noticed is the speed sensative volume adjustment doesn't work. I assume that's because the speed wire is grounded when the switch is on.

I am a little disappionted in the GPS performance when the switch is on, but that's not really all that new as many of the posts mentioned a delayed response from the GPS since it's not sensing speed. Any other tricks other than flipping the switch on and off to get the GPS to function better? My guess is no.

Timmbo

You are correct on everything. Like you said, at tue flip of a switch everything is back to normal. You can't use Nav and watch a DVD at the same time anyway!!!!! Enjoy!

flycarden
Car: 2011 Nissan Armada

Timmbo. I'm a new member here. I have been looking at this thread and want to do it on my new 2011 Armada. I dont have NAV so what I think I'm reading is that the pictures on page one will be the same to do the mod without NAV. One other question, after the mod is done does this mean I'll be able to watch movies from my iphone through the aux port and the movie comes up on the dash screen? Thanks for your info.

Chris

Timmbo

No, the AUX port is for audio only.

Welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you aboard!

flycarden

Timmbo wrote:No, the AUX port is for audio only.

Welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you aboard!
So what would I need to run video? Thanks for your help.

flycarden

Maybe I am misunderstanding too. If I did this mod, will I be able to put in a DVD into the cd player and it play on my screen even though I do not have the NAV unit? What I really want to do is play the movies off my iphone thru the screen on my dash. A buddy of mine has an aftermarket screen/radio in a different truck and has a separate adapter for the iphone to run the movies into his tv/screeen. If I get an adapter will these mods work or how would that work? Sorry for being a pest. LOL

Thanks,
Chris

Timmbo

The player in the dash only plays CD's....in order for you to play DVD's you will need a DVD player. If you purchase a DVD player, be sure to ger one with AV inputs so you can purchase a connector for your iPod to allow playback on your DVD screen. Does this all make sense, sometimes I am not the best at explaining thus stuff. :)

flycarden

Timmbo wrote:The player in the dash only plays CD's....in order for you to play DVD's you will need a DVD player. If you purchase a DVD player, be sure to ger one with AV inputs so you can purchase a connector for your iPod to allow playback on your DVD screen. Does this all make sense, sometimes I am not the best at explaining thus stuff. :)
Ok, got the DVD player part. With that being said if I purchased the connector for the ipod and do this mod, is my current no NAV screen going to work and play movies from my ipod?

Timmbo

Yes, as long as you have a DVD player or an Audio/Video input port you are all good.

Timmbo

If you did not need the DVD player and you were only concerned about connecting your iPod to the screen, you could purchase this unit here: http://www.tvandnav2go.com/

I had this unit on my 2004 QX56, it worked very well. It basically is an Audio/Video Input for your Screen.

flycarden

Ok, last question. I hope. lol I found the video connector for the iphone/ipod. Now do you know if the No NAV radio has video input holes in the rear of it to plug the connector into?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CDgQ8gIwBA#

Timmbo

No, it does not, that is why you would have to purchase the unit from TV&Nav 2 Go

flycarden

Ok got it.

2000ag

I was going to give this a shot on my '09 Armada without Nav, but was just wondering where should you ground the wires?

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”