'02 Pathfinder Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

mppp78
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE

As far as the IACV relearn goes I've read in the following if not replacing the throttle body, but just disconnected the harness connector (steps 1-3) below, but in my Chilton a whole lot of more steps involving turning on/off, accelerator depressed etc. Which is correct? Steps 1-3 Below from Nissan manual or Chilton with about 10 steps but I will say Chilton states when a new one is installed so I suppose that's the reason for extra steps? Thanks for input all!

1) Make sure accelerator is fully released
2) Turn ignition switch on (btw I assume they mean turn engine on right because chilton says turn on engine?)
3) Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

I think you're looking at the Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning procedure, regarding those three steps. The IAVL procedure and the preparation steps are much longer. With regards to turning ignition switch On; That is strictly engine not running. My Haynes manual aligns with your Chilton manual and the Nissan manual, yet I have found errors and omissions in all of them. Less so often with the Nissan manual. All of this is on pages EC-73 through EC-75. https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 4%2Fec.pdf
Attachments
TVCPL 2004.JPG
IAVL Prep 2004.JPG
IAVL Procedure 2004.JPG
IAVL Procedure 2004.JPG (102.21 KiB) Viewed 375 times

mppp78

You are correct I am referring to throttle closed position 3 steps you highlighted as it says to perform these 3 steps anytime harness is disconnected. So hopefully last question and apologies if I'm not reading in between the lines here. I am not replacing the ECM or electronic control actuator I just disconnected the harness as I removed the throttle body do I first conduct the 3 Throttle body control learning steps then IACV steps as well, correct? (My wife's computer I wish I knew how to snip/steps to show you where I'm looking from your post, annoying!). Thanks again!

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

mppp78 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:27 pm
... do I first conduct the 3 Throttle body control learning steps then IACV steps as well ...
That is essentially correct. The IACV relearn procedure does state that this is necessary when replacing the throttle control but I'm not sure if that would include just disconnecting the harness connector from the throttle control. Those 3 steps may be all you need to do but since the IACV relearn procedure requires no tools and is fairly quick and easy to do, I would go ahead and do that as well, after the throttle valve closed position learning is done. I know VStar650CL would have a definitive answer on whether or not you need to do both.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

On the older ones, basically you should do an IAVL anytime you do something which affects the idle position of the butterfly or TPS. If you think about what IAVL does, it's calibrating the MAF reading against a baseline stored in memory and correlating it to a given throttle angle. So anytime you do something which affects the latter, IAVL is called for.

mppp78

All put back together and idling smoothly thanks for everyone's help.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”