Top Care..

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
brogotvert
Car: Brother's `94 240sx

Hi folks!

So...we got some spring weather last week here in GA. Finally got a chance to clean up my brother's `vert. Mothers' cleaner/sealant/carnuba. Jeez, these cars are pretty. Interior swept, tires done.

And then I stopped.

The last convertible I owned was an old TR-4 in high school. The top was more tape than top..I've never learned how to wash a top! Name your faves, please!

dumbusername
Car: 1994 240sx Convertible

I'm not sure about how to clean the ragtop. I'll be looking forward to reading other people's reply.

I can, however, strongly recommend PLEXUS for the plastic window. I just bought a '94 convertible and couldn't see in or out of the darn window. Did some reseach on this site and others and decided to go to my local West Marine store (boaters' heaven) and pick up a can. Let me tell you, the window is now so clear that I can read the plate numbers on the cars behind me! It's really easy to use. Spray it on, wipe it off. That $7.99 spray can saved me a fortune on a new window!

If ya lived closer I'd let you borrow my can!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Pretty easy... Water, soap, and a soft bristle brush.

Make sure to rinse it well, and let it dry in the shade.

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

like woah...i've been cleaning my top with the pressure washer at the local car wash.

-demetrius

wayfastwhitey

i grabbed some stuff at an auto store a long time ago.... just for kicks

its called Convertible Top Cleaner, by Blue Magic, seems to do a good job and says it has protectant in it... dunno what you guys think of the brand but...

i let my cousin's husband take a look at my vert a while back.... washed it with the stuff.... the next time he saw it... he said to me... "whoa how much did the new top cost ya?"

thought that was pretty sweet so i've used it ever since...

this PLEXUS sounds interesting thanks for the heads up

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Meech, knock it off with the pressure washer.

You're gonna cause leaks.

brogotvert

Thanks, everyone! Hey, wayfast-*how* long ago did you start using the protectant? Sounds tempting, but I'd rather trade a little less gloss in the short-term for a longer top life. Not flaming ya, just curious <g>.Hitman, care to recommend a soap?

Thanks again guys. Hang on, summer's coming!

wayfastwhitey

unsure about your question brogotvert (gloss & less top life)...but i've been using it for maybe 15 months now after most car washes...

it doesn't make it glossier and by the time i'm done using it... i can turn a white towel black... so i'm sure its getting grime and stuff off of the top (which should probably help the life and the look)

it seems to make the black like a deeper, darker black (maybe it's just me )

i don't think it's hurting the top at all tho... texture has stayed the same... i haven't noticed anything bad at all... it's not a spray on gloss (like to give you shiny tires), it's more of a soap, you put it on, kinda rub it in, then take it off with a wet towel

brogotvert

wayfastwhitey wrote:unsure about your question brogotvert (gloss & less top life)...but i've been using it for maybe 15 months now after most car washes...
Cool. I think I was thinking about plastic protectants ("armor-all", etc.). Some of `em actually dry out the plastic over time. I guess I forgot we were talking about cloth.
wayfastwhitey wrote:it doesn't make it glossier and by the time i'm done using it... i can turn a white towel black... so i'm sure its getting grime and stuff off of the top (which should probably help the life and the look)

it seems to make the black like a deeper, darker black (maybe it's just me )

i don't think it's hurting the top at all tho... texture has stayed the same... i haven't noticed anything bad at all... it's not a spray on gloss (like to give you shiny tires), it's more of a soap, you put it on, kinda rub it in, then take it off with a wet towel
OK, sounds good! Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya..computer at home's dead and I've been away from work for a week.

acidbbg
Car: 2006 MazdaSpeed6 GT

I used this stuff I found online.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...d=1,1

I bought 3 bottles worth and the top looks amazing!

My girl thought that i bought a new top..I was like

nissanconvert
Car: 94 300zx Convertible 5 speed

http://store.summitracing.com/...12744303 protectant & cleaner once a season/year then plexus for the window when its dirty

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”