5 Speed Swap FAQ

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Because so many people seem to always ask about how to do a 5 speed swap for their car, I feel that having a thread devoted to pooling all information to this topic is needed.

Check all the following links before posting asking information on how to do a 5 speed swap. The information is out there, we just need to look.

Also, I don't want this thread to become a giant Q&A, so limit posts to linking helpful 5 speed swap topics.

First up is a post I put in the convertible forum concerning swapping into S13s. I feel it's fairly comprehensive and can be used by anyone swapping a 5 speed into any S13 (convertible or not):

zerothread?id=77784

Next up is the 240sx.org how to for S14s. S14s differ from S13s only slightly, but that slight difference makes wiring them night and day:

http://www.240sx.org/links/ins...p.htm

nonvtecaccord

your first link only goes to some other nico page.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

actually it goes to the home page...ive noticed this with quite a few threads lately, are they being archived or something?

Jesse SR20
Car: 1990 S13 fastback

It happened when the name of this site changed to "forums.nicoclub.com".Someone didn't realize thta every posted link would no longer be good. But if you cut and paste the thread id number, you can bring up old links.

For example: zerothread?id=77784

Hijacker
'94 F-150

yeah, i keep forgetting to go back and change out all of my old links from the last server transfer we had. It's fixed now. sorry for that ^^

Two4tyKid

I dont want to sound like a dumb *** but those insturcions arent that striat forward with the wiring. I was wondering if there was anything that will have to be done for the wiring harness to recognize a manual tranny. Ive never done a swap on a newer car. Ive done it on a couple old 510s and a friends old z car.

Scooby24
Car: 01 BMW 330CI

Two4tyKid wrote:I dont want to sound like a dumb *** but those insturcions arent that striat forward with the wiring. I was wondering if there was anything that will have to be done for the wiring harness to recognize a manual tranny. Ive never done a swap on a newer car. Ive done it on a couple old 510s and a friends old z car.
I agree.

First off....from what I understand....we HAVE to have an S14 manual speed sensor....an S13 just doesn't work...

a 95 M/T Driveshaft is a TOTALLY different design than the M/T for a 96+ and will not work unless you don't want to bolt up a carrier bearing. (I found this out the hard way)

The wiring seems to state we need to jumper the top connector (I'm guessing from the auto tranny) and by jumpering I'm guessing they mean splicing the wires together.

Then it says pins 3 and 8 from the third connector from the top...top...of what?

and how do we know what pins 3 and 8 are??

A picture guide would be SO much better. I really wish I would have started taking pictures on my swap to redo the S14 instructions.

1995240sxSE
Car: 1991 jeep wrangelr and a 2004 ford taurus

can anyone answer that last question????

StockAsFuhS14
Car: Bone stock S14

anything different for 6 speed?

Hijacker
'94 F-150

S15 is a pretty straight forward affair, you just need to be creative for the speed sensor. The 6 speed doesn't have provisions for a standard speed sensor, although there are some 6 speed gearboxes that have the hole to install one. Unfortunately, there's no gear on the output shaft to spin the VSS, so if you have the hole, you can get all the equipment necessary to install the plastic gear to the shaft (plastic gear, springs, retaining balls, and c clips) and then you can use a factory VSS. That requires disassembling the transmission to install everything.

Most people use a differential with a VSS in it. The S15 diff is usually used with a signal box. A friend of mine used a Dakota Digital Universal Speed Box to make the output signal of the S15 sensor work with his S13 cluster.

Just make sure that the 6 speed has all the little bits like flywheel, clutch, and crossmember. Those are all specific to the 6 speed and you can't use 5 speed parts. The trans mount is the same, but the crossmember is specific. The drive shaft will be different between the S15 and whatever gen 240 you're throwing this in. Supposedly, the S15 drive shaft will work if you're using the S15 HLSD, which makes me think that if you don't, you might be able to combine an S15 front yolk onto another rear yolk to hybridize the length to fit. I've done that in the past when doing manual swaps on cars with mismatched options like ABS in the past. The better solution is to call up a shop like Shaft Masters or The Driveshaft Shop and order a solid one piece to fit.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”