Q45 Chain guides

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Frige
Car: Hot rodding, and anything to do with cars

Hey,Well I have the engine apart and the new guides in. I need to ask a couple of questions before I reassemble. I have one of the tiny service manuals you need a magnafing glass to read it lol.

I set the engine on tdc and then backed up till the crank key was straight up and the set the timing on the passenger side. Now there are 2 timing marks on the outside cam the one I used had lettering by the mark. There were no marks on the crank that I could see so I went by the pictures in the book for the placement of the gold link. I then went back to tdc and set the drivers side cams using the same method. Is this the correct method?

Now there are lifters under the cam I can push these down very easily they seem to be dry. Do I need to pull them out to prime them before starting the engine or can I prime them with a drill on the oil pump?

And last there is a key from the cam gear to the oil pump gear the one that is there has a lot of slack and may not be the right one is this a special key or can I pick one up at the hardware store?

ThanksFrige:rockon

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

The oil pump gear is not keyed, just held in place by friction making the 270 ftlb torque on the crank pulley critical, just ask Jesda!

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

There has to be a mark on the crank sprocket. If you removed it, BE CERTAIN THE SPROCKET IS NOT ON BACKWARD. If it is, and you torque up the bolt, it could break and destroy your engine. Find the mark...it's too easy to be off one tooth by looking at a picture with a magnifying glass.

azskygod

If I remember correctly, the mark you're looking for is a small dimple just below the tooth that should line up with the gold link.

AZSKYGOD

Frige
Car: Hot rodding, and anything to do with cars

Ok,I found the marks and yes the drivers side chain was in correct. Opps. Well thats why I have you guys to keep me on my toes lol. Now what about the lifters? Do I have to pull them and submerge them in oil or can I prime them in the engine?ThanksReid

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

It is always good (after hand cranking the engine prior to reconnecting everything) to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank with the starter motor to pump the oil before starting with ignition.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”