Need ITunes meta-data help

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

Ok so here's the story, I have Both Itunes and Zune media players on my computer but updating the Meta-Data on the Itunes is next to impossible, while I have pretty much all the meta-data on the zune player pretty much updated and most of the right cd covers right.

With the Zune software it not only brings up an album list that you can sort by albums and artists to find the correct track numbers and album covers but if there is no album cover available it allows you to search via google to find the copy and paste the covers which makes it so easy to get all the meta-data correct and up to date plus it's easier to change the genre/

With the Itunes library it's next to impossible to get the correct album covers, the correct meta data and over all the whole meta-data process is a giant PITA, the only way to paste in the correct album art is to save it to your pc and unless it's in the ITunes library you can never get anything right, plus some of the files won't allow you to manually correct the info.

Now I'd just add my music to my Ipods with the zune software but it's not compatible, and honestly I like to have all the correct Meta-data and album art on my Ipods so it makes creating Playlists that much easier.

My question to you guys is this, short of having both programs open and manually entering all the data from my Zune software to my ITunes, is there a way to utilize the Itunes software to get the correct data and album art and is there a way to copy and paste album art from a google search to Itunes without having to save the files to my PC?

I still have to update all the information on my Real Player and my Windows Media Player too, but they seem to be just as easy to correct as Zune is. Oh and I'm really dreading having to go through my music folder and correct all that data as I have almost 2000 downloaded MP3's and growing that I need to correct.

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

You can copy/paste into itunes. Just find the image on the web like you said, right click and select copy image (in your browser). Then open up the file options in itunes and right click on the blank space where the album art is and click paste. This is generally what I do. I usually update the meta data on my media when I load it to the pc, so I've never messed with any automated software to try to do it all at once.

Chaotic_Warlord

Ah thanks, wasn't aware that you can do that. The problem is that of the almost 2000 songs i have on my computer maybe about 1/8 of them have album art and of those almost 1/4 is the wrong album art, while my Zune is pretty much spot on and I only had to copy/paste about maybe 25 album covers, and most of those are b/c they are either so vague that it's not in the Zune library or they are imports (I have a lot of J-Pop and J-Rap that isn't translated into English titles)

AppleBonker

Completely understand. I've got about 11000 songs on my pc, so if I had to update all the meta data on my own it would probably take me days. Usually when I transfer songs over I correct the tags as I do it (I'm incredibly anal about the labeling and art), so it isn't as painful. But, once it gets updated you don't really have to worry about it again.

Chaotic_Warlord

I used to do that but then started slacking on it and over time it's just overcome me. I download from P2P on Limewire and to be honest the file names aren't correct so I really need to go through and clean and correct my music folder. But even in doing that I still need to get all the meta data and album art correct. Which I would have thought Zune would have done considering all the files in music folder are labeled to open in Zune. Meh. It's taken me days to get the Zune library correct, and with iTunes being as non-user friendly as it is it's going to take me twice as long.

AppleBonker

The only batch automated process I've used for itunes was a lyrics downloader. I generally don't like the way the automated programs tag the files (such as I don't put a genre on my music since it is far to subjective, and some tunes overlap genres a bit). I think the most I've had to do in one sitting was about 700 songs and it took me a couple of hours to get them all right.

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

AppleBonker wrote:You can copy/paste into itunes. Just find the image on the web like you said, right click and select copy image (in your browser). Then open up the file options in itunes and right click on the blank space where the album art is and click paste. This is generally what I do. I usually update the meta data on my media when I load it to the pc, so I've never messed with any automated software to try to do it all at once.
Slightly easier then that, you can also drag & drop to the little picture square while editing song info.

AppleBonker

Red coupe wrote:Slightly easier then that, you can also drag & drop to the little picture square while editing song info.
Cool. Never tried that. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “General Chat”