anybody else thinks our navigation system sucks?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
park2086
Car: 2006 M45 sport

It's all good until I start trying to find some place nearby.For example, bestbuy.I try to look for bestbuy, so I search for 'bestbuy', and the closest one it finds is like 300 miles away(I live in southern california. I even have a bestbuy walking distance, and another one few miles away). And it doesn't even find more than a few bestbuy.

Other places are the same. It always finds ones in central california or something. Am I doing something wrong? Anybody else has this problem with our navigation system? I have the 2008/09 version.Please help if anybody knows about this. Thank you

NCturbo75
Car: 2006 INFINITI M35...

Mine seems okay besides the fact that it has given me longer routes than I wanted.

ArbitrageMan
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

Even though you might have the latest disc version, the "phone book" information on the disc is probably a few years old. Could it be that the best buys you're near are newer than the disc information?

I like the nav in the car. I like how you can input the address by voice. I havent had any issues with being able to follow the directions it gives.

I do wish you could input things into the nav while driving; that safety feature prevents my wife from putting things into the nav while Im driving, which is completely safe to do.

NightWatch
Car: 2008 M35 Sport - Platinum Graphite

Hate to say it, but the only positive thing I can say about the Infiniti Nav system is that it integrates nicely into the rest of the vehicle. Beyond that, it's pretty poor. It's software is old and out dated, it's not reliable, and it lacks a lot of features that other OEM Nav systems have. It was a good system in 2003, but they didn't keep up with the times. My little Garmin 265w has many more features, is more reliable and user friendly and it only costs me $95 for a lifetime of map updates compared to NavTeq's cost of $299 every year.

TREYDEE007
Car: M35

I'm with you it sucks!!!!!!! even though I still have the 06 disc, it can hardly find old addresses!!! my cellphone's Nav is better.

dvan

I actually love the nav system in my M. Yeah it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the new Garmins have but as far as getting you to your destination...i love it. I find it nice and easy to understand and i love the voice recognition for inputing directions. My only gripe is that searching for POIs sucks balls ...too bad they didnt integrate the voice recognition feature for it (i.e. "Search POI B-E-S-T-B-U-Y near me).

I would much rather use the OEM nav to get me somewhere than stick up my Garmin.

AD1787
Car: 2007 M45 Sport Twilight Blue

Mine does the same thing on any search of a business name, it defaults to locations outside of my state. If you notice at the top of the results screen it will show, "by distance" if you click on that it will resort and put the closest one at the top.

The fact you can not really do anything you'd use a GPS for while driving makes me make curse at the damn thing all the time

LLJes1
Car: '06 Graphite M35X

For the most part, pretty happy with mine. I do understand your frustration and I do agree it should sort POI searches by distance automatically. I don't know anyone who searches for a Burger King and wants to drive to the first search result 160 miles away...

The other thing is half the time, it doesn't understand Chicago streets. It comes up with so many different results, it's utterly rediculous. And even with the newest disc which I just received, there are locations and street that have been around for years, and it still isn't in the updates. Not to mention my experience with Navteq ordering, but that's for another thread...

park2086
Car: 2006 M45 sport

I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the problem.I don't know what I should do. Should I write infiniti regarding this? Would they even listen to me?
AD1787 wrote:Mine does the same thing on any search of a business name, it defaults to locations outside of my state. If you notice at the top of the results screen it will show, "by distance" if you click on that it will resort and put the closest one at the top.
I do click on that, but almost always there are only a few results and the closest one is over 300miles away. Can't believe I get only less than 5 bestbuys (just example of searching for bestbuy) on the result and the closest one it finds is so far away. I live in the middle of everywhere. Within an hour, I can go around over 5 bestbuys.
ArbitrageMan wrote:Even though you might have the latest disc version, the "phone book" information on the disc is probably a few years old. Could it be that the best buys you're near are newer than the disc information?
Yeah I understand it could be old, but that all these bestbuys closer than the 300 miles one are all newer than the disc information. There are tons of bestbuys around here in southern california. The closest one it finds is one in central california. Not just bestbuy, but many many other things.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

LLJes1 wrote:I do understand your frustration and I do agree it should sort POI searches by distance automatically.
Hmm, I wonder why mine sorts by distance automatically... I dont have the newest version either so maybe thats why.

LLJes1
Car: '06 Graphite M35X

Enigma, I tried to see if there was a setting somewhere in the nav options. Either I am blind or it's just not there... :

johnincalifornia

I am not a huge fan of the nav either. My complaint is that after the street number is entered, it disappears. This is a problem because I always have to check the street number from a piece of paper when I get close to the address. Is there a way to customize the program so that it always shows the street number, not just the street name?

yosM45
Car: 2006 M45 Sport Twighlight Blue

Mine does the same thing.

rsg123

I wouldn't say it sucks, but there are better systems out there (like Honda's). The nav should use the passenger airbag power sensor (that tells if there is someone sitting in the passenger seat) to unlock the navigation system to enter addresses while driving.I have to admit that Tomtom on my phone is easier to use and faster than Infiniti's though.

gsmollin
Car: 2008 M35x, Platinum Graphite w/ Graphite interior

Well don't get me started about the nav system. See my separate post about the "GPS constellation winking in and out". Even though it has a touch screen, I can't drag the recommended route to a different, parallel road. So I tried to enter a waypoint on the different road and the stupid router had me go down the road, and then backtrack to the original route There was no way I could re-route the original route! What a stupid POS!

And keep good maps in your car for when the nav system decides not to include the roads, because they are country roads. I went to Fallingwater in rural PA, and the nav system couldn't rout me to the hotel. I told me I was off the map! , those roads have been there since the 1930's.

Yea, for $2000, it is pretty bad.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”