drift steering wheel

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
okinawa drift
Car: 89 240sx SOHCoupe

well im tired of my stock steering wheel and just gonna upgrade with a BOSS HUB and one of these steering wheels

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors....m245

i guess they are really good for drifting, its just i want one in a different color, i want the center black, does anyone know how to find that?

chaosli
Car: 89 nissan 240sx coupe FTW
99 mazda miata
93 bmw 325i RIP

the steering wheel dose nothing to the driver it will not improve you skills

carps13guy
Car: 91 coupe ka

if you like the wheel, just get it. scuff it down & paint it black, done.

White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

that is indeed a drift steering wheel. it'll give you more angle then modified knuckles.

hahaha one nice thing about after market steering wheels is the smaller size, which equals less turning

okinawa drift

chaosli wrote:the steering wheel dose nothing to the driver it will not improve you skills
first of all, the stock steering wheel is way to far away from my reach, i sit kind of far back.. and a smaller wheel is better than a huge bulky 370mm or w/e the stock size is..

but yeah, i'll just order this and paint it i guess, was just wondering if anyone knew where the other colors were lol

blacksrjdm
Car: 89 240sx, 99 CBR900RR.

Why not save up a couple of bucks and buy a steering wheel from a reputable company. I know a guy bought an ebay knock off nardi wooden wheel, and the top part of it broke and splintered his hands while he was driving one night. True story. Also, if you buy a quality wheel there will be more options as far as color and style.

blacksrjdm

okinawa drift wrote:
first of all, the stock steering wheel is way to far away from my reach, i sit kind of far back.. and a smaller wheel is better than a huge bulky 370mm or w/e the stock size is..

but yeah, i'll just order this and paint it i guess, was just wondering if anyone knew where the other colors were lol
How far back could you poss. be sitting. I am 6'2" and I sit back far and I have great car control with a stock wheel. The steering wheel shouldnt be affecting the way you drive really at all.

ILoveMyRHS13
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx (Hatch)

If you value your life, you won't buy this heap of s***. Buy a real wheel, you won't regret it. Seriously, these are so flimsy and un safe it's ridiculous. By the way, the smaller wheel you get, the faster you can turn it.

blacksrjdm

Ya, but steering faster doesnt always mean more control, Hell I know of guys with steering wheels that are slightly larger because they feel more control with a bigger wheel. It all has to do with personal preference.

ILoveMyRHS13

blacksrjdm wrote:Ya, but steering faster doesnt always mean more control, Hell I know of guys with steering wheels that are slightly larger because they feel more control with a bigger wheel. It all has to do with personal preference.
Yeah, it's all personal preference, but I don't know who would want to turn in slower.

PS- Why the hell were you looking at parts for a TERCEL? You know this is a piece of garbage if someone would buy a DRIFT steering wheel for a TERCEL.

blacksrjdm

Wouldnt ness. turn in slower.

Larger wheel=more leverage. Turn in easier. Less turns of the wheel to locks. Better control because of less rotations on the wheel to manuever. Same steering radius.Smaller wheel= less leverage. More effort to turn in. Less control because of more rotations on the wheel to manuever. More turns of the wheel to the locks. Same steering radius.

But, with power steering, shouldnt make much of a difference.

ILoveMyRHS13

blacksrjdm wrote:Wouldnt ness. turn in slower.

Larger wheel=more leverage. Turn in easier. Less turns of the wheel to locks. Better control because of less rotations on the wheel to manuever. Same steering radius.Smaller wheel= less leverage. More effort to turn in. Less control because of more rotations on the wheel to manuever. More turns of the wheel to the locks. Same steering radius.

Sir, your physics are backwards.

blacksrjdm

If you understand leverage, then my physics are dead on. I suppose all the experience I have means little to nothing again to the younger members on here. Good luck OP, buy a real wheel please.

I am kind of intrigued though and would love to hear another opinion about this smaller/larger wheel issue.

domokouki
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

Regardless of the size of the wheel, the number of turns to wheel lock will remain the same, unless along with your steering wheel you are buying some gears to adjust the ratio of steering column to wheel movement. The changes would come from the distance you have to move the wheel, a smaller wheel gives you a smaller radius, so a shorter "distance" your hands have to move.

As for control I am no drifter (will hopefully change with the new car), and have not had extensive track time, but the control seems to me like it would be all preference. Whether you prefer a smaller wheel to make adjustments or a larger wheel where those adjustments are greatly more visible because your hands must move farther to adjust. Some people may struggle more having to move a small wheel 2 inches instead of a large wheel 6, not due to force but because of dexterity etc.

And as far as leverage is concerned, a larger wheel would give you more leverage because the distance of the force applied is at a greater distance from the origin of rotation, which multiplies the force.

I am a newbie, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but it's just my .02

newdude1

ILoveMyRHS13 wrote:If you value your life, you won't buy this heap of s***. Buy a real wheel, you won't regret it. Seriously, these are so flimsy and un safe it's ridiculous. By the way, the smaller wheel you get, the faster you can turn it.
Actually my friend has this same wheel but in blue suede and its not flimsy at all. Like you I thought it would be but its defiantly stiff.

okinawa drift

lol yeah alot of people recommend this wheel.. but, where did your friend get blue suede??

tmwnn
Car: '93 240sx

blacksrjdm wrote:
How far back could you poss. be sitting. I am 6'2" and I sit back far and I have great car control with a stock wheel. The steering wheel shouldnt be affecting the way you drive really at all.
I do not sit far back and can't stand how the stock steering wheel feels...maybe you have monkey arms lol.

No but seriously, I am also going to buy a deep dish wheel off ebay as soon as I get paid...im sick of how it feels like I need to lean a bit forward. As to why ebay instead of a Nardi or Momo or a suede OMP like I want, its because there's other priorites and Im sure its not gonna be more dangerous than a torn up oem wheel from 1993....

White Comet

blacksrjdm wrote:If you understand leverage, then my physics are dead on. I suppose all the experience I have means little to nothing again to the younger members on here.
experience or not, i hate to say it but you're wrong. a smaller steering wheel means less turns, lock to lock. thats why big trucks have suicide knobs on those massive wheels, to help whip it around as many times as is needed to make a turn

Fibre guy
Car: 91' s13 RB25DET, 95' s14 bone stock, 87' Wrangler 4.6L stroker

I have an aftermarket wheel, but I only got it because my old one would stretch and was ridiculously dangerous. I have a R33 skyline one that I'm going to replace it with after I find a good place to re-wrap it.

mrgreeneyes
Car: ///M5
Parted Out Built S13 Coupe

White Comet wrote:experience or not, i hate to say it but you're wrong. a smaller steering wheel means less turns, lock to lock. thats why big trucks have suicide knobs on those massive wheels, to help whip it around as many times as is needed to make a turn
wrong

does NOT change lock to lock. the rotational angle of the wheel doesnt change, but the diameter affects how far your HANDS move.

everyone stop talking out your asses.

a smaller wheel requires less hand movement to make the same turn, but requires more force.

i have a 330mm nardi and its more RESPONSIVE than an OEM wheel, with less definition to the turn as a tradeoff.

OP, STOP WITH THESE THREADS.

seriously. its always " should i buy this s***ty ebay part?" and the answer is always NO. but you insist on buying it anyway. shut your mouth. dont buy poop.

i swear to baby jesus if someone tries to refute me by saying a larger wheel helps you turn faster, ill have lost faith in humanity's ability to rationalize and function.

howstuffworks.com motherf***er

okinawa drift

lol well s***, im trying to get opinions..

White Comet

mrgreeneyes wrote:
wrong

does NOT change lock to lock. the rotational angle of the wheel doesnt change, but the diameter affects how far your HANDS move.

everyone stop talking out your asses.

a smaller wheel requires less hand movement to make the same turn, but requires more force.

i have a 330mm nardi and its more RESPONSIVE than an OEM wheel, with less definition to the turn as a tradeoff.

OP, STOP WITH THESE THREADS.

seriously. its always " should i buy this s***ty ebay part?" and the answer is always NO. but you insist on buying it anyway. shut your mouth. dont buy poop.

i swear to baby jesus if someone tries to refute me by saying a larger wheel helps you turn faster, ill have lost faith in humanity's ability to rationalize and function.

howstuffworks.com motherf***er
sorry i meant quicker turns lock to lock not less. i was trying to have a conversation the same time that i was typing that

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

"Wow, I drift 10x better now that I got my drifting steering wheel!!!!"

LOL

SilviaMike
Car: RHD Silvia

So if I get this will I automatically be a D1 driver? but seriously dude just save your money and buy something legit you wont regret it. You will always have so much more pride in something that you save up for and buy rather than some POS you get off ebay you bought just cuz it was cheap. Everybody I know that gets these things they start coming apart after like 2 months.

Kalypso

get a Nardi! or a candy paint jdm wheel.but you cant pull it off without a nice looking car.

wheels are more for kicks then anything.

White Comet

SilviaMike wrote:So if I get this will I automatically be a D1 driver?
the steering wheel improving drifting is a lie....................it actually makes you a nascar driver its perfect for taking nothing but all those sweet left hand turns

Didderson
Car: 1990 240sx fastback; '88 Hardbody pickup; '74 Datsun Z

blacksrjdm wrote:Wouldnt ness. turn in slower.

He's right on this, the larger diameter the wheel the longer the moment arm for torque, so one has to apply less force to get the same amount of torque about the center. Think of when u use a non long wrench versus a tire iron on the same nut. Takes less effort to use the long a** wrench because of the mechanical advantage of the moment arm AKA the big long handle.

If you have power steering you probably won't notice a differenceIf you're in motion you'll probably notice even LESS differenceIf you're in shape you'll notice it less also.It can increase your response time steering wise having a smaller wheel. Faster lock to lock times.Thinking about extremely small diameters: it all depends if you can control having such a small wheel. Sometimes drifting doesn't require a QUICK change in steering input to keep a slide going. I don't drift like ever but from my keegan learning sessions in the snow I still remember, easy on the steering correction.

Pretty much all i have to say in the matter. I'd definitely want a smaller diameter steering wheel. The stock one is still nice enough for now though.

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Serious comment here.

I was thinking of trading my 370mm Nardi Classic for a purple wheel with a big dish. I think it would look pretty cool.

White Comet

Didderson wrote: Takes less effort to use the long a** wrench because of the mechanical advantage of the moment arm AKA the big long handle.
correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that momentum isn't what makes the difference, it torque. the longer handle provides more torque since torque is force times distance

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

mrgreeneyes wrote:
wrong

does NOT change lock to lock. the rotational angle of the wheel doesnt change
This man is 100% correct.

You will still have 3 turns or whatever lock to lock... so 1080 degrees or whatever. The smaller wheel will just decrease the torque you have on the steering system, making for a heavier steering feel.Truckers have bigass steering wheels because they have bigass, heavy steering components, and their steering wheel to front wheel turning ratio isn't as tight as a car's. Basically, their gearing is different. The steering in the truck is geared more towards torque than quick turning.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”