VH45 s14 S/C

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
gs14racer

Heres some pics, surprisingly it only took a few hours of fabwork and bracketry. All i need is an intercooler and a tune and i can drive it, intercooler is en-route, tune is what im missing/ dont know where to get.

pics

T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

That looks perfect, except for an air filter. What's the plan? Screen?

Elwesso/Robert programmed a boost map on my 4-way NICO. Not sure what it's set up for but he can make any map changes you want. Would be a pain though, shipping to and fro. We could always swap in for a quick dyno and see how it does, then ship yours to get it fine tuned. It's an option.

There is also the turbo Q45 guy that made his own maps on boost. I forget his screenname but I know he has a ton of maps he could program for you.

gs14racer

Kalypso

excitement!!!

Ptotherice

I was just discussing this with a friend of mine. This is gorgeous man, keep up the work, this is my plan for when I start my 450sx. You have been my inspiration on this build since the first day I saw it, nothing but greatness so far.

LEMHEAD16
Car: '12 Genesis Coupe
'95 QofDOOM
'56 Chevy pick up

<--IS jealous

Is your alternator in the factory position or did you relocate it?

SuperHatch
Car: 96 TLC

LEMHEAD16 wrote:<--IS jealous

Is your alternator in the factory position or did you relocate it?
Jerry relocated his alternator to the AC position when he installed his motor. He did this so he wouldn't need to notch his framerail.

LEMHEAD16
Car: '12 Genesis Coupe
'95 QofDOOM
'56 Chevy pick up

I knew he did on the first motor set, that he sold, I just didn't know if he did the same on this one.

Aus450zx
Car: 2+2 300ZX

which vortech is that?

VERY keen to see the results of this one

gs14racer

its a vortech v2, i think its an s trim , not to sure.

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

That looks like it's gonna be fun!

slamdbusa
Car: 240sx, ex-ka-t, now sr

nice, I like it.

Is there enough brackets keeping that monster together?

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

too bad you're not closer man it would be LOADS of fun to tune that car...with the spool up characteristics of a turbocharger i'd imagine a great tune can be done with the stock ecm setup with blowthru maf.

tmorgan4
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

This is so cool!

Mettler

Carl H wrote:too bad you're not closer man it would be LOADS of fun to tune that car...with the spool up characteristics of a turbocharger i'd imagine a great tune can be done with the stock ecm setup with blowthru maf.
mmm, would the stock MAF cope with the new volume of air? I thought they peaked at around 450hp worth?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Looks nice man!!!

Carl H

depends on how much boost is going to be run...i doubt 5psi is gonna max the maf and if it does then go to a z32 unit.

gs14racer

well ultimatly 10-12 psi on 550cc injectors is where its gonna be so twin z32s then?

Mettler

How do you make the ECU take readings from two mafs?

gs14racer

i dont know lol, that was more of a question, ive seen it done though

Aus450zx
Car: 2+2 300ZX

you can get devices to combine the signals but I would just run an active one and a dead one in parallel and just take readings from the active one (the dead one is there to balance airflow) then adjust the way the ECU changes outputs based on airflow. I'm assuming the airflow meter has something similar to a "K value" and this is how you can swap out airlfow meter for other makes/models? Failing that couldn't you just put the airflow meter in a bigger housing?

gs14racer

i know you can run a cobra maf and get better resoslution off of it, but im a** backwards when it comes to this, i need to start reading.

Carl H

the quick and dirty way is to run the signal wires together and use a diode to isolate the individual signals...you'll end up with an average voltage at that point.then its just a matter of rescaling the ecu to compensate and off you go.

kingkilburn
Car: '93 240SX

Why aren't you going to run this with the new cams?

gs14racer

purely monetary reasons.

kingkilburn
Car: '93 240SX

That sucks. You gotta let that SC breathe man!

gs14racer

all the bracketry and oil feed are done, intercooler is also mounted, tommorow intercooler piping, blow off valve and oil return.

pics of pulley and belt arangements

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

That is awesome. I can assist with the tuning if you are using a 90-93 Q45 ECU. I've tried the turbo tune Robert made years ago and it didnt' work for me, car would hardly stay running. I've done lot of tuning on mine, expanding the TP scales was a big step. I hit a TP of about 104 @ 8 psi at and above 4K rpm. The stock map only goes up to 72. That means if you don't expand the scales the ECU won't compensate for any additional air over a TP of 72. Obviously there are many other adjustments to be made. I could get you a conservative tune and if you have a Moates Burn 1 and Tunerpro (free) you can fine tune it from there.

As for twin MAFs I think the easiest way would be to run one dummy and one active. You would just do a map trace to see where the TP value was hitting, then adjust the TP scales to match. For this you could probably just leave the TP scales stock and retune the timing and fuel maps to give you the values you want at the new TP value. With my stock MAF I can max it at around 8-10 psi of boost. It goes above 5 volts often and I'm running 8 psi currently.

A company out of Australia has a digital fuel adjuster that will offset the MAF output at your desired setpoints. So, for example, you could offset the output above 4 volts so the actual output above 4 volts would be lower than actual. This way by the time you hit 5 volts on the MAF it's really higher than that. The one thing I want to test is to see of the MAF will even output higher than about 5.15 volts. I do know that the ECU won't recognize anything higher than that. So if the MAF will put out higher voltages it should work great. At 5.5 volts the ECU would see 5 volts, etc.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/produ...D=347

Worth looking in to.

SuperHatch
Car: 96 TLC

qsiguy wrote:That is awesome. I can assist with the tuning if you are using a 90-93 Q45 ECU. I've tried the turbo tune Robert made years ago and it didnt' work for me, car would hardly stay running. I've done lot of tuning on mine, expanding the TP scales was a big step. I hit a TP of about 104 @ 8 psi at and above 4K rpm. The stock map only goes up to 72. That means if you don't expand the scales the ECU won't compensate for any additional air over a TP of 72. Obviously there are many other adjustments to be made. I could get you a conservative tune and if you have a Moates Burn 1 and Tunerpro (free) you can fine tune it from there.

As for twin MAFs I think the easiest way would be to run one dummy and one active. You would just do a map trace to see where the TP value was hitting, then adjust the TP scales to match. For this you could probably just leave the TP scales stock and retune the timing and fuel maps to give you the values you want at the new TP value. With my stock MAF I can max it at around 8-10 psi of boost. It goes above 5 volts often and I'm running 8 psi currently.

A company out of Australia has a digital fuel adjuster that will offset the MAF output at your desired setpoints. So, for example, you could offset the output above 4 volts so the actual output above 4 volts would be lower than actual. This way by the time you hit 5 volts on the MAF it's really higher than that. The one thing I want to test is to see of the MAF will even output higher than about 5.15 volts. I do know that the ECU won't recognize anything higher than that. So if the MAF will put out higher voltages it should work great. At 5.5 volts the ECU would see 5 volts, etc.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/produ...D=347

Worth looking in to.
I was actually just putting the finishing touches on a base "get started" tune for Jerry last night, and I'm so glad you posted. I had expanded the TP scales, but I dod not go as high as 104. I will readjust today and I'll need to wait until Monday before sending the stuff out (Sorry Jerry!).

If there are any other pointers you'd like to give so I can get Jerry's tune in the ballpark, please let me know.

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

I expanded mine to 128 but it doesn't need to be quite that high. Here's a recent maptrace screenshot from a couple weeks ago. This was a WOT run at 8 psi. It may actually go higher but the MAF may have been about maxed. The ECU may have been pegged but I don't have a datalog number from that run for the MAF voltage. By the way, this map is my summer safe timing map.

Modified by qsiguy at 6:38 PM 9/19/2009

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”