Z20 engine timing help

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
wany

I have a datsun pick with a Z20 engine and well the engine time is off so wondering if some can point me to manual for the Z20 engine so i could fix the problem

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

don't really know if they make one for a specific engine

but if its timing then change the timing chain tensioner... drop oil pan and whatever else is in the way then remove the front cover and switch it out... just make sure you're at TDC before doing so

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

wany

Sorry about the spelling i was in hurry when i made this tread what is that a Z20 engine ?

wany

I hope this not too much for you but could you post the carburtator repair section of that manual my engine having alot problems with the carb.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

the engine pic is good for all 4 cylinders!

i'd post the carb section if i could but i'm about 1,500 miles away from mine right now

breadbox

***Carb rebuild info to hopefully go here***

Manual I have doesn't have a "Rebuild" for the carb. I think you'd need a factory service manual or a rebuild manual for the carb. I forgot the company who supllied these. Hitachi?no? IDK.
Modified by breadbox at 9:04 AM 6/3/2009

wany

thanks alot man its the Z20 engine you have right. Also does the book have anything on how to set the distributor because the people that i gave to fix the engine they made a mess of it and i just want to see where the number one piston fires on the distributor if its too much the carb repair section would be fine

Supererogator
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

You would do well to hit the local used book store or ebay and find a manual. I just purchased my third...They are invaluable....not to mention, if you are smart, you can get them for only a few ducats.

I like to read all of the directions and then approach the job, all sections marked, so I have multiple references. The two books I have (I have not received my third in the mail yet) say 5-7 bTDC. Start there and listen to the truck..it will tell you an increment one way or the other.

Good luck.
Modified by Supererogator at 12:42 AM 6/3/2009

breadbox

The firing order is on the distributor cap usually.

However in a counter clock wise fashion starting on the left of the cap or the front of the cap depending on how you look at it.<Front of truckntakesid 1 2 3 4 exhaust 1 2 3 4

Intake1Exhaust2Intake3Exhaust1Intake 4Exhaust3Intake2Exhaust4Back to I1

zeroforum?id=272 check out the links on the fsm thread
Modified by breadbox at 9:14 AM 6/3/2009

wany

Well honestly guys to tell you the truth the distributor that we have on the engine is not even for the engine it can work though it always used to work. The distributor cap i not the original cap its a aftermarket cap it has no markings on it at all. The mechanics that we have timed the engine used a strobe light.anyway we retimed the engine it was timed correctly the 1st time but what happened the chain tensioner was worn so the chain jumped on the sprocket that why the engine was missing firing a lot.

we also changed the spark plug coil, The only problem we are having know is a carburetor problem we striped down the carburetor and clean it out about a week ago but still need the manual to set the carb if not its a trial and error i have to go through before i find a good setting

wany

just need a bit of help want to figure out what year my pickup is because i want to get a manual know i don't think my pick is actually a datsun 720 because on the engine plate with the information hasmodel FD21-100486model FD21-JLBdoes that mean my pick is a D21 and if so how can i figure out the year i don't see the vin number on the plate

breadbox

posting a picture helps.
wiki wrote:"he Datsun 720 came in regular cab and "King Cab" models, with regular and long bed options. The King Cab proved very popular. There was also a 4-door variant offered in some overseas markets. Also, a utility body style like the early Toyota 4-Runner was also available. (Was called the Bushwacker, available as an aftermarket conversion)

The 720 was manufactured in the newly built Smyrna, Tenn plant from 1983.5 to 1986

Early (1980-1983) models had single wall beds with protruding side lips and rope ties, 2 faux hood vents, and tail lights on the lower rear valance.

For a limited period, 1983.5-1984 models built in the USA had the single wall beds with rope ties, yet used tail lights on the rear bed corners with amber turn signals over the red stop/tail lights while the backup lights remained under the tailgate. The front end underwent transformation as well, with a larger grill, bumper, and corner lights. There was also a revised dashboard with round instead of square gauges. At the same time, the regular cab was lengthened slightly and the air extractor vents behind the cab doors changed from the high "flag" look to long, narrow ones that matched the height of the window opening. The cab of King Cabs was unchanged.

Finally, the late model trucks produced from 1985 - 1986.5 utilized double wall, smooth sided beds, with revised tail lights on the corners which resembled those on Chevrolet/GMC S-series trucks. Some overseas models continued with the early style beds."

"In 1979.5 and 1980, models were powered by Datsun's 2.0L carbureted L20B engine, but soon after switched to the Nissan Z engine line, In the Middle East it was powered by Datsun's 1.8L carbureted L18 engine. The 1981-1982 models used the Z22 carbureted 2.2L engine and an optional SD22 Diesel. In mid-1983 Nissan introduced the Z24 2.4 Liter, Z20 2.0 Liter and the SD25 Diesel; this happened at the same time that the 720 series was marketed as a Nissan (the Datsun name, which had disappeared entirely after 1984, was now only seen below the Nissan name on the left corner of the tailgate). In the American market the diesel engine was only available in the 2WD 720 (from 1982 to 1985). The Z24 was upgraded to Z24i fuel-injection (option) for the 1986 models. Additionally, some overseas markets received versions with the 1.5L J15, 1.6L J16 or 1.8L L18 carbureted engines. The 720 Series was never available with any of the Z22E or Z20E multi-port fuel injected engines. These engines are, however, easy to adapt and integrate into the chassis and can be found with the genuine appearance of being original equipment."

2kredz3
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

wany wrote:Well honestly guys to tell you the truth the distributor that we have on the engine is not even for the engine it can work though it always used to work. The distributor cap i not the original cap its a aftermarket cap it has no markings on it at all. The mechanics that we have timed the engine used a strobe light.anyway we retimed the engine it was timed correctly the 1st time but what happened the chain tensioner was worn so the chain jumped on the sprocket that why the engine was missing firing a lot.

we also changed the spark plug coil, The only problem we are having know is a carburetor problem we striped down the carburetor and clean it out about a week ago but still need the manual to set the carb if not its a trial and error i have to go through before i find a good setting
there is nothing to set on the carb. i rebuilt mine a year ago and literally the most important thing is the float level which is adjustable but you cant really get it wrong.

glad you found the timing issue and i hope you replaced your oil pan gasket while you had the front cover off the engine.

Return to “Datsun 720”