My RB25DET Vert swap thread.

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
leesredgt
Car: 1992 Toyota MR2 N/A
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

When i first did the RB swap i regreted not making a swap thread so i decided to do one this time.I bought the convertible a couple months ago,and had been contemplating putting the RB into the vert.Well i decided to go through with it and it just has really got hot enough to work on it since im outside and not inside a garage.Its kinda hard to paint when its 30 degrees outside.lol

But anyways heres what ive got done so far,im hopeing to pull the engine Monday.

This is after i got the bay stripped and sanded and ready for paint.

Heres just another close up of it.I decided to leave the brake lines and booster on so i could paint it all black.

Heres the engine bay finally primered.I had primer left over from when i painted the hatches engine bay so i just got the air compressor out and the gun and hit it real quick.

This is after one can of black paint.

Here it is finished.Took a can and a half more.I decided not to sand down the primer and leave it a little ruff to give it a little texture and a diffrent look.I think it came out pretty nice.

Just a pic of the paint up close to show the texture.Kinda looks like a spray in bed liner,but not so ruff.

heres a picture of the two cars together.I started breaking the hatch down while i was waiting on the engine bay to dry.

Thats it for today,Im hopeing to have more pics up tomorrow when i pull the engine(if i can remeber to grab the camera).Thanks for looking guys!

Modified by leesredgt at 10:51 PM 2/9/2009

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Nice! Keep us updated.

What's going back into the hatch?

93240cooool
Car: 1993 240sx

looking good dude keep us posted, i wish i could have a vert but in maryland our winters arent exactly the warmest lol so i decided to go with a hatch =P. good luck!

ryan516
Car: soon to be an s13

look like its going to be sweet man. are you repainting the rest of your car? what does it look like now?

what are you planning on doing after the big swap?

rb

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Thanks for the compliments guys.
AZ89two4Tsx wrote:Nice! Keep us updated.

What's going back into the hatch?
Im thinking about trying to sell just shell like it is,and maybe get some wheels or somthing with the money.If that dosent work then,i might put a KA back in and try to sell it then.
93240cooool wrote:looking good dude keep us posted, i wish i could have a vert but in maryland our winters arent exactly the warmest lol so i decided to go with a hatch =P. good luck!
haha,Atleast you got a 240sx thats all that matters right.
ryan516 wrote:look like its going to be sweet man. are you repainting the rest of your car? what does it look like now?

what are you planning on doing after the big swap?

rb
I eventually plan to repaint the whole,i would do it now but im kinda short on cash and not toally for sure what color i want to do and if i want to go widebody or net yet so will see.

Its just the stock red now.

I would like to lower it and get some wheels and maybe roll the fenders for now,thats what im hopeing for.I gotta get some money from some were first.

MySXisSlowerThanUrs
Car: Toyota Mr2, Nissan 350z, 89 Piggy 240sx

Keep us updated man, Its gonna be sick!

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

MySXisSlowerThanUrs wrote:Keep us updated man, Its gonna be sick!
Will do bro,I cant wait, i havent driven the 240 in a while so its gonna be like the first time all over again.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Heres the pics i got today.I was gonna take one or two when the engine was out but by the time i got it out it was dark so that didnt work.Ill get more pics tomorrow.

These pictures are just some of when we were right in the middle of pulling it.I ended up getting two wires snagged on a bolt and tore them apart so i gotta splice them back together.Also the stupid A/C condensor tensioner pulley got caught under the core support and made a dent which in return pissed me off.lol.Any ways on to the pics.

Hopefully i have more updates in the next couple days.

Modified by leesredgt at 8:55 AM 2/10/2009

wynnEZ
Car: 90 240 CA POWA!

Why did you bail on the hatch?

MySXisSlowerThanUrs

keep them coming! I cant wait to see what it looks like when your all done

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

wynnEZ wrote:Why did you bail on the hatch?
I planned to keep biulding the hatch but when i came across a vert for 400$,i couldnt pass it up so i chose to just swap them.
MySXisSlowerThanUrs wrote:keep them coming! I cant wait to see what it looks like when your all done
Im hopeing to have it in my the end of the week,i proably wont be able to start it though,i still need to move the battery to the trunk and cut my hole for the clutch.

MySXisSlowerThanUrs

leesredgt wrote:
Im hopeing to have it in my the end of the week,i proably wont be able to start it though,i still need to move the battery to the trunk and cut my hole for the clutch.
Is it going it the 93 vert?

sr20detman
Car: 89 s13 coupe

looks like its alot of fun.

hopefully you didnt have a ton of mods on the hatch that you would have additional work to swap over.

vert will be more fun

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

MySXisSlowerThanUrs wrote:
Is it going it the 93 vert?
Yes sir.
sr20detman wrote:looks like its alot of fun.

hopefully you didnt have a ton of mods on the hatch that you would have additional work to swap over.

vert will be more fun
Yeah most of the mods im doing to it im gonna add this time around so it shouldn't be to bad.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Heres some pics from today.I didnt get really anything done,i got the top half of the intake mani off thats about it.I would have gotten more done but i worked today(which is a good thing i might add) so i didnt have as much time,plus its gonna rain here tomorrow and i dont want alot of open holes that i have to cover up.Anyways on to the pictures...

A picture of the top half of the intake manifold taken off and plugged up with bags so no water will get down in them tonight.

thats all the pics i got today,nothing really changed hopefully i have some more big changes by the end of the week,if the rain will hold off.

MySXisSlowerThanUrs

Move FASTER haha i wanna see this thing in, You should post up a video when your done, thatd be sick

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

HAHA,my fingers are raw already from trying to get it done fast.lol

Yeah im def.planning on getting some video if it running and stuff once i finish it.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Ok well its been a couple of days,ive had to fight rain and such but i finally got some other stuff done on it.

Heres the new manifold i got from RawBrokerage.

After i got the water tube installed.

And heres how it looks when it was first mounted without the fuel rail installed.

Same picture as above but with the fuel rail on and the Q45 throttle body on also.

Big diffrence compared to the crappy stock Intake Manifold.

So after i got that all buttoned up i wetn to take off the front cover to paint it,b/c well,with the new manifold on the rest of the engine looks like crap.lol

So when i took it off,I found that the bracket behind the cover that holds the CAS was broke completley in half.

You can see where it was craked in this picture.

So after that,i tired to weld it up.

But, because the peice is cast iron the weld wasnt really strong and i didnt trust it,so im gonna get a new one.

So that pretty much gets you guys up to speed were im at.Im kinda at a stand still untill i get that part,but i might try to drop the engine in anyways and put it on later.Well see.

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Ok shes almost ready to drop into the car now just putting the finishing touches on.Heres what i did today.I did have more pieces done but it got dark before i could snap some more pictures.

As you can se its been cleaned up,and its a big diffrence compared to what it used to be.

Ill have some more pictures in the next few days hopefuly.

MySXisSlowerThanUrs

DAMNNN!! Thats looking really good.... !!!

Nice work

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

MySXisSlowerThanUrs wrote:DAMNNN!! Thats looking really good.... !!!

Nice work
Thanks alot man.Its come quite a ways.lol

Its amazing what some paint and a good cleaning will do to an engine.

MySXisSlowerThanUrs

leesredgt wrote:
Thanks alot man.Its come quite a ways.lol

Its amazing what some paint and a good cleaning will do to an engine.
For real, by the looks of it... It does a damn good job.. does it have the stock turbo on it?

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

MySXisSlowerThanUrs wrote:
For real, by the looks of it... It does a damn good job.. does it have the stock turbo on it?
lol.Yeah its just got the little stocker on it.

MySXisSlowerThanUrs

leesredgt wrote:
lol.Yeah its just got the little stocker on it.
*cough* *cough* T51 *Cought* 1 for the Supra and RB * long Cough*

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

HAHA

I wish i could that would be awesome.Im havening to sell KA parts right now just to have enough money to complete the swap.lol

Thank God paint inst expensive.lol

MySXisSlowerThanUrs

haha for real...

But just think about it this way, youll have a badass Vert when your done. so itll be worth it IMO

93240cooool
Car: 1993 240sx

looking sooo good

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

MySXisSlowerThanUrs wrote:haha for real...

But just think about it this way, youll have a badass Vert when your done. so itll be worth it IMO
Yeah.Im trying to sell the hatch shell right now,so thatll be a little extra cheese right there.
93240cooool wrote:looking sooo good
Thank you.

240life
Car: 1993 Coupe - S13 SR20det blacktop

That paint and intake sure cleaned up the engine. You got any unobstructed side shots of the vert?

leesredgt
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

240life wrote:That paint and intake sure cleaned up the engine. You got any unobstructed side shots of the vert?
Yeah heres some pics when i first got it.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”