RB25 EGR/Smog

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
wakotow
Car: '93 240sx S1 RB25 + HX35

Well I've pulled alot of info off of here, and I decided to give back a little.

For all of you that live in one of those lame states coughNevadacough… that demand you have smog equipment on your new found love. Here’s a solution to the EGR valve, or lack thereof.

Things You’ll Need:

-EGR Valve (I got mine out of a mid to late 80’s Stanza, because it was easiest to remove)-2 studs, nuts, and washers (more obviously if you have more holes in your valve)-2-3 EGR lines/tubes (I was able to use 1 and some other steel tube I had laying around, but it was a lot of work to do that)

-EGR Valve-2 studs, nuts, and washers-EGR lines/tubes

First offYou’ll need to disassemble the top half of the intake manifold…Here it isTop 4 bolts are easyBottom 5 bolts are toughSomeone to be on the divers side pushing the tip of the socket around cause the guy actually ratcheting can’t see anything at all.

The 3 bolts closest to the front of the car are easy, I used a 12mm socket w/ a 3 inch extension.

The 4th closest is a little more tough, there’s a hose that attaches in there too, make sure to pull it off and twist it out of your way

The 5th I found was tackled best from the ground, my dad had a 18 inch extension plus a couple 6's and we used that to reach all the way up and get it…good luck this one was a pain.

This vaccum line was in the way, so we cut it out, it ran to the blow off valve as a signal, we tapped it in to the boost controller line and called it good…

All we did was hacksaw it off, countersink, and then put a screw in it covered in gasket goop.

For the actual valve, play around with positioning, this happened to work for us. It was pretty lucky, the TB hits it but not any part that moves, so it’s all good.

Go ahead and drill, tap and the put that stud in, careful to not over tighten your stud.Make sure to clean out all those metal filings out of your plenum real good, I rinsed w/ water and then used an air compressor.

Now it’s time to put all of it back together. Once you get the plenum reattached, you can put the TB and your new EGR valve on.

Fitting the EGR line was a bit of a pain, and make sure you have lots of light, I did mine at dusk and got pretty mad at it cause I couldn’t see it very well. But when you pull that turbo heat shield off make note that you need a bigger turbo…especially if it’s stock.I took this and thisand after a little cutting, welding, and measuring I came out with this. I’m not going to actually attach it to the exhaust manifold, because out here in Nevada we don’t have to make the smog equipment function, it just has to be there, and if the smog guy can’t see where it attaches because of the turbo heat shield, then too bad…so I’m going to extend it out of sight and fasten it so it doesn’t move, which it shouldn’t…and added another "heat shield" to cover it, sorry I didn't get a picture of where I attached it, I just drilled a hole and bolted it to the shield mount hole.

Now make sure all your hoses and connectors go back together and rush down to smog and have it tried out. I passed with no questions asked about it, even though the one guy walked up to it and said "skyline huh?" good luck

SullivanRacing06
Car: r32 gtst, 06 350z, r32 gtr, rs4 steaga, 04 350z, f350/6bt

lmfao, one question, why? plz tell me you at least plugged the vacume hose rite?

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

I must say hats off to you on installing the egr valve. Was it a dyno smog or the old ilde/rev smog?

SullivanRacing06
Car: r32 gtst, 06 350z, r32 gtr, rs4 steaga, 04 350z, f350/6bt

and do i spot a incorrect breather set up??

lol had to say it

d356bud
Car: 1990 240sx w/ RB25DET

Wow, useful I guess for those needing emissions. I think I'll stick to the lick it stick it kind of inspection station.

Neejay

So this is purely for visual inspection?

You can pass in Nevada with the sniffer + visual of EGR valve?

wakotow
Car: '93 240sx S1 RB25 + HX35

Ya pretty much, usually they're sticklers about if they can see the smog equipment. They don't test it, they just see if it's there. And I didn't have a moving permit for it yet anyway, so i went for it.

Oh I took care of the breather.

It was an idle/rev smog.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”