wmdavis007 build thread (no 56k...many pics!!)

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
wmdavis007
Car: 1992 240SX Convertible
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L

(Ok...a lot of these are reposts...I just wanted to do a build thread.)

Nemo talked me into making a build thread. So I'm going to compile everything just on one post...so I'll start when I first got my vert.

I bought my car back in Nov 2005. When I got it the motor was blown (spun two main bearing). I only paid $500 for it. It had been sitting at a friends house in the woods with a cotton car cover over it for a little over two years. My buddy's parents had bought it for his ex-girlfriend cause she lost her job, car, and house and needed some transportation...later I found out why she was down...she started smoking crack...last I heard she was living under a bridge where some homeless people live...sad. But back to my car...the interior was shot...cause it sat leaking for so long it had about an inch of white fuzzy mold growing on everything in the car...pure nasty! I ripped the interior out...and when I did I found 3 crack pipes and about 20-30 crack baggies...sheesh. In Jan and Feb. of 2006 me and my buddy towed it to his shop and yanked the KA out for the rebuild. Had a local machine shop do all the machine work and head work (the same buddy works part time there too). We put the KA back in after the rebuild and found out the auto tranny was shot as well. I ordered a 5-speed swap from a company down in Fl. for about $350. The 5-speed swap was a lot easier then I every thought it would be. While we where waiting on the 5 speed parts I did the pillar removal...3 packs of sawzall blades and 5 or 6 grinding wheels later I had coupe doors! Bought some new tires for the stock wheels and tossed in the JDM S14 front seats I got off the internet and it was finally road worthy. This was about July...first time with the top back...I was hooked! But I still didn't have a new top, and the back window was completely gone so I had to keep it in a friends basement garage until I got a new one. I kept doing little odds and ends to it until I could get my top installed. Soon as that happened I started using my vert as my daily driver...and my wife parked her Altima and started driving my 06 Expedition. Ok ok...here is some pics:

Here is my car the first night home, first mod...JDM turn signals:

Pillars removed:

Interior gutted:

Rebuilt KA just dropped in:

Soon after moving my car to my other buddy's shop, I stored it in his basement garage for almost a year:

Pic of my ugly a$$ old MOMO steering wheel and nasty pedal covers (they came on the pedals with my 5 speed swap) which both are gone now:

JDM S14 seats installed:

Eibach Sportline lowering springs and new KYB's installed:

New tail lights:

Parts! My VLSD when it first came in the mail:

Xenon lip!!!

New side skirts that I've never installed:

S15 steering wheel and shift knob...decided to go another way:

S15 Floor mats:

Pics after I finished my rear seat panels for my relocated seatbelts:

New quarter window switch:

Finally...new top installed:

New Circuit Sport overflow tank:

Skid plate:

Some Nismo love...got these from a dude for only $75, shirt not included...it was already mine:

New (used) wheels...love the meshies...old skool:

S13 Silvia steering wheel, looks brand new...Super HICAS II...hehe:

Brand new Silvia lock set (still haven't installed yet):

Q45 brake caliper rebuilt and painted (also got drilled and slotted rotors, ss braided brake lines and speedbleeders):

New LED tail lights, turn signals (w/ LED flasher) and license plate bulbs:

Working on hooking up my CDRL's up to my JDM fog light switch:

Plug behind battery, you have to make harness from here to lights:

fog light relay:

New silicon radiator hoses:

New Hammer shift knob:

Ok...I know this was a long post but it's two years worth of work...I'm sure I left a lot out, but I'll post up anything I remember.

Modified by wmdavis007 at 6:11 AM 1/8/2009
Modified by wmdavis007 at 6:13 AM 1/8/2009

wmdavis007

Installing new radio. I've had this Kenwood for a few years now and decided to install it in my vert.

Went to the shop yesterday to do a little soldering:

Last night at work mounting the radio in the s13 radio mounts:

The radio is a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X789 w/ a KCA-iP500 iPod interface. Soon as I get a sub box that will fit my trunk I'll install my new front and rear speakers, 4-channel JL Audio amp, mono V12 Alpine amp, and P3 RF sub. I'll also be installing a Sirius Sat. radio mount for my Starmate 4 w/ FM direct interface. I'm tired of not having good sound in my vert...that will change soon .

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

You are just like me. Vert is your toy and do this and that to play with it. That's cool man. I can see that you have good taste on parts too.

1SickSilvia
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx vert

Quote" Ok...I know this was a long post but it's two years worth of work...I'm sure I left a lot out, but I'll post up anything I remember. "

Now I dont feel soo bad, It seems likle its taking forever to finish my vert, its been just over a year. Your vert is looking really good

justclay
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX SE Convertible

Most excellent. Very nice Vert. Is that a new top? If so where did you get it (I am in NC as well).

wmdavis007

I got the top back in 2006 from a eBay dealer that sold 240 vert tops. He is no longer on eBay but I think there is a source on eBay selling tops for 240's. Here is a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ories

I would go to your local upolstery shop and ask for a quote. Good luck!

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

nice, how did the s15 steering wheel fit? was there any problems putting that in?

Phan
Car: 2004 350z Roadster ~ Pearl White
1993 300zx Conv. ~ Pearl White

DAMN! the Silvia steering wheel is so freaken AWSOME!!! and the valve cover looks so sporty really nice ride

wmdavis007

-RJ- wrote:nice, how did the s15 steering wheel fit? was there any problems putting that in?

I didn't like the fitment. It had a gap between the steering wheel and the column cover. Plus the horn button didn't work...the S15 wheel doesn't have the contact rings like the S13's do.
Phan wrote:DAMN! the Silvia steering wheel is so freaken AWSOME!!! and the valve cover looks so sporty really nice ride
Thanks! I got lucky with that Silvia steering wheel...got it from a guy in Australia. I had my valve cover powder coated in Candy Apple Red.

wmdavis007

Picked up another rear view mirror with map lights. The one I bought a while back, the mirror had some blemishes where the lights had scorched it. This one looks great...and it's out of a 87-93 Mustang convertible (thanks to krash for finding out they are the same). Looks just like the ones that came in the 240 verts. Picked it up for only $15.50 on eBay.

Hopefully I'll get to wiring it up in the next few weeks. I plan on wiring it to a constant power source and to the dome light so it comes on when the door is opened, I'll keep you guys posted.

wmdavis007

Well crap...I didn't realize that the metal buttons that the rear view mirrors attach to were different sizes. The one on my windshield is larger then the one on my new mirror. So I need to find a way to remove the button without damaging my new front windshield. Any thoughts on how I can remove it safely? Think I'm going to call Safelite auto glass and ask them...they may have a tech in the area in the next few days that could remove it and glue my new one in place. Well...this sucks.

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Looks nice, definately a clean engine bay, but imo the se wheels look better than the meshies.

And btw, how/why did you get JDM s14 seats? I have the exact same ones in the sil40 and they came off of a plain zenki.

wmdavis007

AZ89two4Tsx wrote:Looks nice, definately a clean engine bay, but imo the se wheels look better than the meshies.

And btw, how/why did you get JDM s14 seats? I have the exact same ones in the sil40 and they came off of a plain zenki.
Thanks! I think I'm going to go back to the SE wheels for a while cause I have a brand new set of tires mounted on them (less then 300 miles on them). Gonna sell the meshies and save up for a new set...not sure what to go with just yet.

As for my seats...I was just looking for a set of S14 seats, and a company had these for sale cheaper then most I could find at that time, even cheaper then a local guy selling a set of USDM ones, even with shipping (about $375 shipped...they even tossed in a set of 180sx mats for free; think it was an accident). Plus these looked brand new and I liked the plain two tone gray look instead of the funky pattern that some have. They came from a company from Texas that imports clips, engines and JDM parts...can't remember the name.

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

wmdavis007,That's a good find right there. Can't beat the deal. There's a light on passenger side under the glove box. You can hook it up to that light. That's how I hooked up scuff plate lights. If you open a door, it'll turn on. Be careful when you remove A-pillar and headliner covers. They are very fragile. I would work on it when it gets warm.

JDM seats are better because if you install them on USDM 240sx, condition of driver's seat is better than passenger seat which used to be driver's seat in Japan. Did you get them from JHOT?

wmdavis007

94_240sx wrote:wmdavis007,Be careful when you remove A-pillar and headliner covers. They are very fragile. I would work on it when it gets warm.

JDM seats are better because if you install them on USDM 240sx, condition of driver's seat is better than passenger seat which used to be driver's seat in Japan. Did you get them from JHOT?
Yeah...think I'm going to wait until it gets warmer so I won't crack any of the pieces. Yes...think it was JHot where my seats came from.

noobdrftr
Car: of crap...just pure crap

damn that is one clean and sexy vert

wmdavis007

Well the Mustang convertible mirror I got just won't work cause the mounting button is smaller then the Nissan one...and I just didn't want to risk cracking my brand new windshield trying to get the button off the window...so....

I decided to buy a brand new mirror from Nissan. I called Courtesy Nissan to help me get the right one. They found the mirror with map lights and I ordered it! It came in the mail today...boy was I excited...

Until I flipped it over....

I called Chris at Courtesy Nissan and he filed a claim with UPS and has another one on the way . I ordered the jumper (harness) for it as well but I'll still have to run some wires I think. But I'm not going to attempt it until it gets warmer cause I don't want to crack any of the plastic trim. I'll post some pics after my replacement mirror comes in the mail.

Modified by wmdavis007 at 11:05 PM 2/5/2009

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Had no clue you could actually order new map light mirrors. Cool.

vert4ya
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

Very nice mirrors

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

the build is looking great so far wm! the wheels look beautiful man, makes the car look muscular. Looks like you have some horrible luck with mirrors though lol. I'll get out tomorrow and see if I can find a way to put the Ford mirror on my vert, the one I got was for my sisters, and her mounting plate had fallen.

wmdavis007

Well I got my new (and uncracked) rear view mirror in and have it in the car but i haven't done the wiring yet...didn't want to crack any of the interior plastic. No need to post a picture of it...looks just like the first one but with no crack in the glass. But I did forget to post a pic of the mirror jumper wiring harness. Not sure if it will help with my install but it was less then $10 so I got it. It looks like it just plugs in between the dome light connector and then I just have to screw in the ground wire...but I'm sure it's not going to be that easy...but I will keep you guys posted...and take pictures .

I also got something else new...I got a new headliner. I saw a guy on eBay that was selling a bunch of OEM Nissan parts and he had a convertible headliner listed for only $25! I bid on it and lost...but I got a second chance offer from him and I got it for...get this...$52.99. Brand new OEM headliner sealed in the bag. It lists for $231.38 from Courtesy Nissan. Not sure when I'll install it but I just couldn't pass it up.

The guy has a few more listed on eBay now...one has a starting bid for $74.99 and one for "Buy It Now" for $130.

Modified by wmdavis007 at 5:19 AM 2/19/2009
Modified by wmdavis007 at 4:07 AM 2/20/2009

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

good lord

im jealous, i wish i was baller status

JST2KWIK
Car: '92 Nissan 240sx Vert

haha man all this makes me wish my vert was done! It's sweet that you saved a crackmobile and made it so clean.

wmdavis007

Thanks guys...it's definitely a rolling project . It's long from the "rolling crack-house" I found sitting in the woods with a cotton cover on it...lol. Me and the wife are taking it down to Myrtle Beach, SC this weekend...doubt it will be warm enough to drop the top but if it gets to about 60* it's on.

wmdavis007

Lighted rear view mirror installed today. More info here: zer...-play

Plug and play with this harness:

New mirror from Nissan:

wmdavis007

Finished installing my Fat Mat sound deadening material in the front last night.

I've done both sides...just forgot to get a shot of the passenger side. Now I have to do under the rear seat, in the trunk and the doors. Damn I hate installing this stuff.

wmdavis007

Few shots of my interior at night after my map light mirror install...a lot brighter!

Replaced my gauge light bulbs with Polarg bulbs:

wmdavis007

Ordered me a replacement drivers side under dash panel...mine had one of the tabs broken off. Came with the courtesy light and all the bolts .

I also got out my JDM DCC to clean up so I can start looking to do the install since it's warmer. I've had it since last fall and I'm itching to get the digital climate control in. Maybe in a week or two. More to come soon.

S13k
Car: Mazda miata 99 NB
Nissan 240sx 91 s13

looking good, wish i had that much light in my car, that only light i get is from my gauges

wmdavis007

Ever since I did my 5 speed swap I have had a really squeaky clutch pedal. Actually before I even did the install I knew it was going to be squeaky because the clutch pedal spring bushing were almost nothing. So I ordered them before I even got the car on the road...put the parts up and forgot about them. I have been living with that damn squeak ever since. Yesterday I decided to fix the problem...very easy too. Fixed the squeak in less then an hour...and that was with many little breaks to drink beer. Here are some pics:

New Nissan parts...I love new Nissan parts.

Old busted up spring bushing and worn out pedal spring.

New bits installed.

If you have a squeaky clutch pedal you should do this...it's very easy and the feel of the new spring is nice as well.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”