Bought Avic-f90bt. Advice please!

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Mubbly
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S Magnetic Grey

Hey everybody!

I am waiting for my Avic-f90bt to arrive. I have a few questions about the installation.

I'm going to need to wire the GPS antenna and the microphone. Any suggestions? I think just above the rear view mirror is the best place for the GPS antenna. How do I get the wires through? How is the casing above the small window removed? Or is that even necessary?

The microphone may just go in that little cubby area by the small window.

What should I do to make sure my AVIC doesn't get stolen within a week?
Modified by Mubbly at 9:39 AM 1/10/2009

morgan
Car: Versa

Your questions will be answered in the owners/installation manual. (from experience) the GPS antenna works fine on the front center of the dash, and it's easy to locate there because the vent panel on the top will need to come out any way when installing the head-unit, and because it's just a magnet people will be less likely to rip it off. If it is a personal must to be located on the outside I highly recommend the trunk lid,(it can be hidden quickly) or roof (on the hatch model) next to the stock antenna (again for quick hiding with minimal effort). The second way is time consuming though because all of the plastic trim kick panels would need to be pulled up to hide the wiring. Because removing the window sounds like a permanent wiring solution to a antenna that is magnetic I would not recommend it.Good Luck! P.S. that looks like a nice unit, good choice!

Mubbly

I wasn't thinking of putting it on the outside. On the interior actually, stuck right above the rear view mirror at the very top of the windshield. Thank you for the suggestion about the dash, though. I think I'll give that a try.

Mubbly

Ok. I was meaning to get some pictures up for a while now. Here y'all go!

I ended up placing my gps antenna in the dash! It fit perfectly right on top of the cubby box, which is also where I drilled a hole for the Ipod. Out of sight & out of mind! Awesome!

The mic works perfectly and was easy to run up to the steering column. I'm real happy with this unit. It has been working great so far.

Fen911
Car: 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L/NAV

The install looks awesome!!! Im planning on getting the f700 or maybe the f90(If the price is right). I have a couple of questions. 1. Where is the vss wire located? The f700 doesnt need the vss because it is gyro.2. Did you need to buy a dash kit. Thanx

Mubbly

Fen911 wrote:The install looks awesome!!! Im planning on getting the f700 or maybe the f90(If the price is right). I have a couple of questions. 1. Where is the vss wire located? The f700 doesnt need the vss because it is gyro.2. Did you need to buy a dash kit. Thanx
I have no idea where the VSS is located. I didn't bother to connect it. It works fine without it and I really don't know what would be different with it plugged in.

I grounded a mint green wire and did a software bypass, so all features are available at all times.

I did not buy a dash kit. The unit fit right in place of the stock radio. No problems there. There is a noticeable gap around the unit. It does not bug me, but you may want to get one.

I picked up a wiring harness(Scosche NN04B 2007-Up Select Nissan Harness) and an antenna adapter(Scosche NAA2B) from Best Buy. You'll need both.

Fen911

thanx for the info. how do you like the unit so far? Ive been reading on avic411 all about the radio. does it realy take a long time to boot up?

Fen911

Ebay has the dash kit with both adapters for about $40.

[IMG][/IMG]
Modified by Fen911 at 6:40 PM 3/4/2009

feloniousmonk

Mubbly wrote:I grounded a mint green wire and did a software bypass, so all features are available at all times.
What exactly is this software bypass? Can you elaborate?

Fen911

If you go to Avic411.com they explain how to do all the bypass types hardware and software for all the pioneer avic models. This is a very good site. It explains almost everything you need to know about the pioneer avic's

Mubbly

Fen911 wrote:thanx for the info. how do you like the unit so far? Ive been reading on avic411 all about the radio. does it realy take a long time to boot up?
I really like it. It has a lot of great features and a slick menu. The bluetooth works great, very clear on both ends. Everything is easy to use and can be made even better if you know how to hack it. It uses a Windows CE platform!

The boot time is fine for me. I don't have any complaints about it. While I'm warming my car, music comes on within 20 seconds. I'm pretty sure everything is loaded in around a minute. Which isn't too bad when you get in the car and start driving.
Fen911 wrote:Ebay has the dash kit with both adapters for about $40.
That's an awesome price, I should have done that. I ended up calling everywhere and driving around for the adapters the day I got my avic..
feloniousmonk wrote:What exactly is this software bypass? Can you elaborate?
Normally, there are features that you can only use if the parking brake is engaged. This is a workaround that unlocks these features so you can use them while you drive.

You have to get a copy of the avic-f's system file(data.zip) on your computer. You go into a folder and modify a value. Save that and then put it on an SD card along with a couple of files that you need to make the unit boot in WinCE. Insert the SD card before you turn it on, it'll boot in WinCE. Go to My Computer on the avic-f and find your SD card.

Copy the file that you've modified(data.zip). You now go into the system files of the avic-f.. find the data.zip file in the system's flash drive. Copy the one that you've modified over the original and you're good to go.

dee_tymz_sl
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

Here are some ideas for your AVIC... I was about to buy that unit but after reading user's comments about it I changed my mind and ended up getting the Eclipe AVN726E... Here's how the mic and GPS antenna was done.

The AVN726E menu and Nav

The mic place just above the rear view mirror so is my aftermarket security antenna

GPS antenna

If you'd like to see the full view of the car check out my link...http://picasaweb.google.ca/damisey

Hope this will help you.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”