s13ka into s14... PLEASE HELP!!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
helluvasinger
Car: 1995 Infiniti G24 Coupe, '89 Hatch, '91 Hatch

Hey guys.. I'm getting ready to put an s13ka24de into my s14.. While finishing up the motor today, I found out the heads and valve covers are different..

Is there anything else that's different?? Will all of my s14 accessories fit onto the s13 motor... a/c, starter, manifolds, wiring, etc... I'd hate to have to switch things up now after this motor is finally done...

thanks!!!!

s14steve
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

Are you sure the motor in the S13 wasn't a ka24e single cam motor? The ka24de head didn't change from S13 to S14.

ShaunakaRichard
Car: 92' 240sx sr20det Redtop

The valve cover is different from what I remember, different bolt pattern or something. But I think that's about it for the head. Basically the same.

s14steve

Right, but im 99.9% sure the head itself is the same. I would think everything would swap over without a problem, as long as you're using the old wiring harness. The S14 harness may be OBDII and the S13 motor is not.

helluvasinger

No, it's dual cam motor.. The heads may bolt to the block the same, but the valve covers are different, and how they bolt to the head are different. An S14 head has a wider bolt pattern for the valve cover at the rear of the block, so different valve covers are used, and even different gaskets..

I was just getting scared that other things may be different as well, and I'm trying to swap theses motors THIS weekend..

I'll have plenty of pics when I'm done..

SO.. My car is a 95 S14 and I'm using an S13 motor.. my car IS OBDII, but I don't have the wiring harness from an S13.. How big of a problem is it that I don't have the old harness??

s14steve

Honestly, I have no clue EXACTLY what the differences are. But you'll want to look at the entire intake/exhaust/ emissions setups on both and look for differences. I don't know enough about on-board diagnostics to tell you what would be different but check out all the intake sensors and ****. Infact, it might bolt up and still be wrong. Do your own research and if I have time I will do some myself.

Good Luck!

diggles240
Car: 1996 240sx SE
2005 Altima 2.5S

The differences between OBDII and OBDI will cause numerous CEL's. The distributor, intake manifold and cams are different as well. Also, if you have an s14 transmission with the crank position sensor (CKPS) in the bellhousing, I am not totally sure if the s13 m/t flywheel is compatible. It has the same part number, but the OBDII s14 flywheel may have a reference mark for the CKPS diagnostic data. Check out this link for other info. Good luck and be sure to post your results

Kevin

helluvasinger

Ok, thanks to everyone who replied for your help.. I have the new motor all together and back in the car and will be starting it up tomorrow.. I think I found out what is different between the motors, but after I get it started I will post up some pics and all the information that I found out..

Thanks again...

RedlineDriftCoalition
Car: 92 Nissan 240Sx, 95 Nissan 240Sx, 89 Toyota Supra, 1990 Nissan 300Zx, 1985 Nissan 200Sx, 89 Nissan 2

there is a difference actually i ran into the same problem swapping an s14 KA into an sohc 240 the bolt pattern differs from the two on the valve cover. I simply just took a different valve cover from a dohc hatch and it lined up perfectly

helluvasinger

okay, we ran into a problem.. our timing jumped a tooth when we were building the new engine, and we didn't catch it until we were trying to fire up the car... So I'll get some pics and stuff up in a few days here when we get it all finished!!

helluvasinger

okay, sorry it took me awhile to get back to this, but holy s**t did we have problems.. I have the service manual from Chilton, and if anyone else is using this, you can throw it out the window.

For the most part it was pretty accurate. I was right about the only differences being the head and valve cover. Everything else bolted right up from the S14 to the S13 ka24de.. However, I thought our timing had jumped. It didn't jump.

The manual gave a certain way to have your cams aligned when putting it back together.. it was wrong, and would not fire. We were pulling our hair out. Luckily I found an article and diagram from Jim Wolf Technology that helped me out. The cam positioning is completely different than Chilton. My timing marks are not aligned, but it fired right up! I've been driving the car for a few days now and it runs great.

The sound is a different story.. I bought a DC Sports header from someone for $25 bucks because it was slightly bent from an accident. Figured I'd get a few more horses until my turbo kit is done. It now sounds like it has no muffler. Honestly to best describe it, it sounds like a Honda. Loud and whiney. I hate it.. But I guess that's just more incentive to finish my turbo kit.

I have pics of the swap if anyone is interested...

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”