Another vh45 donor recipient.......240z

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
nat0Z
Car: 240z

My 240z, after a child hood of abuse by a heavy chev v8 motor, look who gets a diet

see link belowhttp://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn157/nat0vhZ/originally equipped with a state of the art GEN I smallblock 283cid,went a lil smaller but with twin cam heads on board.

Will keep it auto for now, then i think a t56 tremec will see the back, mainly due to ease of adaption, very simple compared to the Z32, by far....

plenty more to come...(when i get around to upload it anyways)anyways enjoy

nato

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

Welcome to NICO. Cool build, how close are you to getting it running? Keep us up to date.

nat0Z

Had the engine running in the front clip, see youtube and youll find me vh45 240z.

Now have the crossmember in, just need to mod the sump and pickup and will hopefully hav the engine mounts knocked over this weekend.

Exhaust will be custom, header from stainless steel no doubt as i have my work cutting exhaust header flanges, and i found some old tube lying around that will suit the header collector (SS also), just need to buy some 6' bends (or smaller) to make the header pipe to collector. It is very tight in the 240z engine bay, but i can do it without touching the chassis rails, bonnet and only adding mounting to the cross member only, i have heaps more current photos to load up here, and will do so as i get time without my miss' getin on my back. so im either @ work, working on the car, sleeping or getting nagged by her. im sure we all know what it is like but.

probably 1-2 months away from having it in there running if im lucky. then onto body finishing for a showjob on the paint!, either staying silver or going a dark orange with a gold metalic & pearl.

cheers nato

nat0Z

5 new photos on the above link!!!!

ktzed

Nice work so far! Keep the pics coming....they will be reference material for me as I am just getting started on this same swap.

nat0Z

I am likely to be making sets of whatever i make up as i will need to make the hole lot for my mates 240z con also.

most likely to have engine mounts nad sumps for the vh into -> 240z (s30 chassis.) Here in Australia but, not sure where bouts you may be.

Will have them mocked up with 3mm steel plate, then laser cut @ work from 5-6mm plate (1/4" for the sae minded ppls)

sumps will be completely custom, new flange and bowl, along with custom oil pickups, all bolt up as i wouldnt want mine or my mates any other way.

natoPS anyone wanting to help with any details please feel free. (hint 450Z)

Chrispy300
Car: 1993 J-Spec 300ZX 5 Speed Slicktop

Interested in a couple of sumps if they will suit a Z32 > VH45. I'm in Brissy, so I might see you around if you ever make it to the Datsun Nissan Nationals. The next one is in Easter '09 at Warwick.

nat0Z

will a mid sump bowl suit the ZX, from memory they do have a mid or rearward bowl.......

Will be doing mounts first, then sump, but have got the sump flange all drawn up and digitised for one of my machines to cut.Will be a mild steel sump but, easyier to weld and more rigid for any given thickness il use, will have a CNC punched out flange for test fit by next wednesday from 1.6mm Mild steel sheet.

If all good, will fab up the bowls, & drainage slopes etc, the run the mill accross the top flange after straightening (light face).

Mounts ill hopefully have prototypes done by tonight provided my mates to get me on the piss, instead of working. Then ill get some cut in 5-6mm and bend on the brake press @ wk. proto's will be only from 3mm which is what the factory S30 mounts are from and the motor weighs about the same with all the P/S, AC etc etc missing.

Actually beginning to look forward to the header fab!!! looked like a nightmare before but the more time i put into this job the more things are falling into place.

cheers nato out

nat0Z

change in plans, looks like the std sump will get a re-birth as a mid bowl sump!!!!

also have a coulpe of vids on youblube link below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nat0z

Will get more pics tomorrow, otherwise have some new ones in other thread re: custom sump / engine mounts.....

nat0

ktzed

Hey looks awesome so far and I love the sump. Have you got anything figured out for the steering/frame rail/exhaust manifold problem yet? The only VH/Z swap ive seen good pics of is that 450Z guy in Ontario and he built a custom front subframe and used a reversing steering box seemingly all to clear the stock headers. It would be nice if some custom headers could be made to clear both the stock frame rails and the stock steering. What do you think?

nat0Z

yes all will be done done, wonto making ehaust headers nex, as it is very tight!!!!but indeed very doable, trying to make this swap as straight forward as can be WITHOUT the need for cutting up the car, ie return to stock IF i EVER wanted to, will keep the pics rolling on up here.

nat0

450Z

nice work NatOZ,Glad to see another all Nissan V8 powered S30. It's allot of work, but worth it. Makes for a very quick 240Z. Got most of the bugs out of mine last season. Wes is working on his ECU upgrade for me as well. Hope to get mine back from the paint shop in the next few weeks.I'm curious to see how you get the steering shaft past the engine. Heard that there is one of these conversions running the Targa New Zealand a few years ago. Have you heard or seen the car? Keep the pics coming

nat0Z

steering shaft has an abundance of room, however my car is right hand drive. so no need to worry about the large oil pump hump in the side of the block which is where you wouldb have run into most of your troubles.my mounts are going directly where the original pedestals for the L mounts were, just new boxed platforms, similar to what bart has done on his torana, but a lil bit different.Looks like you could use some of these captive style engine mounts as your broken one on your website looks a bit de-moralising.

No, never heard of a VH anything in targa tassie/NZ, but im not that close in the loop with these things, being down with the car whenever the misses will let the leash off

yes pics will be forthcoming, engine mounts to be finished (well the current ones) the onto the exhaust headers, not looking forward to it but will be all jam packed in there.

cheers for the interest, nat0

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

There was an S14 with a VH41DE and ITBs doing rally events here in NZ... that may be the car you've heard of. It was sold recently I think.

nat0Z

SOMe pics showing the mod's sump installed to motor, bolting the sump back up was a pita, flange had crept outward requiring quite a few TAPS to get the foles to line up but all done.

Also some pics for 450Z showing steering shaft placement to the stock rack. note the rack will need to be lowered to allo another 20mm or so hood to engine space (enough to lower and give about 5-8mm hood clearance anyways.)

enjoy, plenty more still to come, oil pickup and maybe a revision 2 on the engine mount, (we will see, as i may chang mounting method slightly.....)

nat0

ktzed

Any news on this project? Your the only other S30 project going on right now and I'm wondering how the fitment issues (oil pan, crossmember, steering, exh. manifold, etc.) are going.Great job so far!

nat0Z

no progress for a while unfort.my good mate passed whom was my Z car buddy in crime.have since knocked out a couple of damaged car repairs to reg onto the road, needed a nice car for the misses, and in doing so stumbled accross the mazda 2 electric power assisted steering rack.it is a 'behind axle' steering rack but, it would suit a zed beautifly. like a starter motor on the inputshaft of the rack.

since i havent been doing alot on the Z the thoughts and mental brainstorming is paying off to ease/aid the work req'd to instal the vh in there.

im up to about mk-8 in mental design and quick sketches to try and manufacture a 'bolt-up' solution when it comes to engine mounts and steering rack setup.since seing this mazda 2 setup im dead keen on it as the feel driving this car is awesome compared to hydraulic power steer, low steering ratio which only requires assist at low speeds, looks easy to wire up to and all sensor equipment is in the rack/motor mounting by looks of it all.

perfect road feedback and feel, i love it, and its on a 2007 model FWD but its not a bad car at all, mazda has come along way in my opinion (excepth with the rx-8!!! )

the engine mounts fo the vh to s30 crossmember, will require the sump & pickup mod, (only just got the tube for the pick up last week, still yet to do anything with it.) engine will sit about 2" from rear most head back face to firewall, so relatively back there, is a tight sqeeze with the auto, but will most likely look at the manual swap now. (my late mate has left behind an already adapted vh45-->Z32 5 speed NA flywheel engages with stock vh starter, but is a prototype plate!!!)

anyways much to ramble but not enough fingertip coherance to comply.shoot any q's, & ill try get to them as i can as my work has gone boonta'

cheers nat0

boatdude13
Car: 1995 Jeep Cherokee
1977 Datsun 280Z

I have a ton of questions like; do the accessories fit on the engine between the frame rails or will you have to make custom brackets? Why did you have to use the mounts you did that required you to make a custom oil pan? Various plumbing questions.

theramz
Car: 1995 q45
1970 240z

This thread seems to have died and that's a real shame. I plan on doing this same swap someday. I think I would use a Mustang II rack and pinion and fab a new crossmember out of 1x2 chromoly so I could position it to allow room for the oil pan. I would also make motor mounts possibly seperate from it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang- ... 520937unts

nat0Z

still alive, just delayed, somewhat,
engine will be going into another S30 shell, one im 'rotisserie re-sto'ing' now,
have many new changes and ideas to make this a ripper of a conversion,
Wiring im not too worried about for all those whom keep emailing me, or posting on you phoob,
mounts will get re-done, sump may also get completely custom made, similar to my RB sump I have designed and nearly made,

Fire away as im sure there a few lost watchers..
Nat0z

boatdude13
Car: 1995 Jeep Cherokee
1977 Datsun 280Z

well, since my last post. I've actually bought a 280z. I'm going off of your oil pan design, but that's it. Let us know when you start a thread for the new Z. We love pictures

Shift n Drift
Car: 240sx

Hey you ever continue with this project, I am in the same process and just did the same to my oil pan. Just need to re route the pick up and was wondering how you went ahead with your mounts. Thanks.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”