Tow hitch wiring questions

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
BillLewis
Car: Nissan Rogue

I was thinking about ordering a new Rogue but a few are popping up used with low miles so I may consider going that route and saving a few grand.Question is can I get a trailer wiring kit for a Rogue without the Premium package and who makes the best class I/II hitch? As stated in another threat I occasionally want to pull a 4X8 400lbs landscape trailer with my 800Lb bike on it so no sense getting a class III/IV hitch. If ordering I'm thinking of a FWD without the premium package. I don't need paddle shifters and the non-premium Rogue gives you a low setting on the shifter. I think that should be enough. Thanks for any input

Bill in NJ

BillLewis

found some info in another threat about a DIY wiring installation. Any updated info on the topic would be appreciated from those who have been there and done that

Thanks again

Bill in NJ

philipa_240sx

It is very easy to fit a trailer wiring harness on the Rogue... even if it did not come with one from the factory. Either use Nissan's own kit, or wire an aftermarket trailer light converter (Drawtite and Hidden Hitch make them). Installation is a snap if you have some basic electrical skills.

The Curt Mfg Hitch is the best one I've seen. They offer both 1.25" and 2" receivers and they are nearly invisible. The powder coated finish seems durable and the fit was perfect.

philipa_240sx

From your other post:
BillLewis wrote:The question no one can answer is why is the Rogue listed at 1000lbs towing except if you get Nissan's tow package and then it jumps to 1500lbs? The answer is not AWD over FWD.

I called Nissan and their answer was the paddle shifters. Still doesn't sound right to me. Any thoughts out there?
The tow rating in many cases is quite simple: It's the maximum weight the vehicle can tow up a reasonably steep hill without causing undue stress. The vehicle design, engine torque, transmission, gear ratios, suspension design, etc determine this limit.

Nissan is correct. The premium pack comes with paddle shifters that allow you to use lower gears = more torque = higher rpms = less stress on the motor. This is why they rate it for 1500lbs vs. 1000lbs on the non-paddle shift models. Can you tow 1500lb loads on the lower models? Yes. Especially if you do not carry passengers or lots of cargo at the same time.

One more thing: Local laws may limit you to the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) for the vehicle.

turbo5454
Car: Rouge

BillLewis wrote:I was thinking about ordering a new Rogue but a few are popping up used with low miles so I may consider going that route and saving a few grand.Question is can I get a trailer wiring kit for a Rogue without the Premium package and who makes the best class I/II hitch? As stated in another threat I occasionally want to pull a 4X8 400lbs landscape trailer with my 800Lb bike on it so no sense getting a class III/IV hitch. If ordering I'm thinking of a FWD without the premium package. I don't need paddle shifters and the non-premium Rogue gives you a low setting on the shifter. I think that should be enough. Thanks for any input

Bill in NJ
My Rouge with 700 miles is loaded. I have called the dealer about the wireing harnes, its now where to be found. I did find a harness around the spare tire Ill look into it more. Really where is the harnes? The hitch will be easy to make and a nice clear space to bolt up.

philipa_240sx

Rogues with the premium package comes with a 'trailer lighting pre-wire'. From what other owners have seen, it does not actually include a harness. The harness (if you have one) would be in one of 2 locations: in the spare tire well or under the rear bumper.

If you find anything different, please let us know.

afier1948

All,

I just installed Professional Wiring's T-Connector for the Rogue. It cost $48 and took about 45 minutes to install. Instructions were easy to follow and installation when without any issues. No splicing required it plugs into left and right light harness as well as the power connection with a 10 amp fuse. For those looking for a alternate to Nissan's T-Connector I recommend Professional Wiring. here is the link:

http://www.professionalwiringp...770b0

philipa_240sx

Yes, that is exactly what you need. Alot easier than splicing an aftermarket converter.

It also looks similar to the OEM harness kit Nissan sells and more then double the price:

BillLewis

Thanks for the info guys. You've made this an easier buy for me. Now I can shop for any Rogue and not worry about it having a factory hitch or Premium Package. Big jump from a ford WindstarStill think I may have to order one to get what I want. There was one at a dealer but it went before I could make up my mind. If I had the info sooner it would of been a done deal.

Iridium Graphite / Black IntFWD SLMoonroof

Maybe I'll order these options but I can get them myself online

Hitch and wiring packageCrossbarsSpalshguardsMatsBumper ProtectorChrome GrillKick PlatesMoonroof Wind deflector

turbo5454

Thank you much BillLweis, I will let my dealer know about this forum. Also I just ordered the rouge converter wireing kit. This forum isgood as the Harley davidson fourm. We shouldn,t have the trouble with the Rouge like HD has with there motorcycle.

turbo5454

I think my convertor is bad evey thing is working right with a test light but when I plug it in the light my trailer I have no turnsignals, brakes on it kills the brake light after a bit it resets no way to go wroung my tralier works fine on the 03 HD chevy what a drag. I got the harness off the form.

turbo5454

It's fixed I didn't it would need outside ground. I know when installing inverter for my Harley to pull the Time Out trailer it worked better with a out side ground.

Roguesales
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S & 2004 Nissan Sentra SE R Spec V

All,

I was looking in to this product for my wife's Rogue S FWD is this going to be a plug and play senerio or will I have to have them wire the plugs in when i have them install the hitch?

Thnak-you

Roguesales

philipa_240sx

The harness from Professional Wiring Products is definitely plug and play. No wire splicing required. All you need are some hand tools (Metric sockets, flat and phillips head screwdrivers) to remove the interior panels to get at the wiring.

Friend123
Car: Rogue

Hello guys,

I have a problem. When I tried to install harness kit ( http://www.professionalwiringp...770b0 ), I can't remove the driver side panel to have access to connectors. I read instructions from "philipa_240sx", (zerothread/333642 ) but it still unclear for me. Can you help me, please?

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

It has been a long time that I played in that area so take this with precaution.

From what I remember, you will have to remove/detach other panels before being able to remove the driver side cargo panel.

Depending of your model, remove the cargo organizer and detach the panel hiding the spare tire (two nylon bands close to the back seats).

I think you will able to detach the low part of the side plastic finishing in the cargo as the panel you want to remove is attach to it (and you will need to detach it anyway to get access to the driver side tail light connector).

You may have to remove the plastic panel on the cargo threshold as well but I am not sure (To do that, remove the small plastic part under the hook for the lock, remove the weather strip and pull the plastic panel hold by six white "plastic tree").

Then you have the two 10mm bolts to unscrew and you will be able to remove the panel.

It is all from memory since I did it 3-4 months ago and I am quite burnt off right now so sorry in advance if you remove stuff you did not need to.Others will probably correct me on my mistakes.

Friend123
Car: Rogue

Thank you. I will try.

torrogue
Car: 2008 Blue Rogue SL

Here's a short video courtesy of etrailer that shows in detail how to hook up the wiring.
You won't need to run the wiring to the battery (as they do in the video) if using the Professional Wiring's T-Connector, but the video is useful to see how the panels come off and where everything is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsn8XsdfNw

2013 Rogue SV
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SV with premium package

I have a 2013 SV with premium package (not SL). So I read in my manual that the SV and SL can tow 1500lbs but the S can only do 1000lbs. Does anybody know if the 13 SV with prem has the wiring harness prewired? Thanks

ROGUEPLANET
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue se

Does everyone else get a dead link now when they go to professional wiring products website?

JMed
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD (Pearl White)
2015 Nissan Rogue SV (Black)

ROGUEPLANET wrote:Does everyone else get a dead link now when they go to professional wiring products website?
Well, when I try to open it my antivirus is blocking it and giving a message about a malicious URL.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

JMed wrote:
ROGUEPLANET wrote:Does everyone else get a dead link now when they go to professional wiring products website?
Well, when I try to open it my antivirus is blocking it and giving a message about a malicious URL.
I'm guessing the site was not properly secured and infected. It looks like they're aware of the problem and trying to fix it. Currently it's returning this...
Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration. This can be enabled in your php.ini configuration file or in the .htaccess file in your catalog directory.
So it looks like they're in the process of fixing things. Give it a day or two.

Return to “Rogue Forum”