Pictures of the infamous 5-sp swap wire splice

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
GoinTopless240
Car: 1993 Nissan Sil40 Vert & 2008 VW GTI & 2010 Infinity EX35 bought in 2019 (15,000) miles

OK everyone... what Hijacker said about making the top work .... but just pictures... Hope this helps the confusion.. look at the position of the wire.. this is still attached to the holder.. just count the wire and connect together.. Viola` working top.. Hijacker gets the credit.. I just took the picture..lol.. and I took me a few tries to see the colors..(old age = bad eyes) notice the nicks in other wires..[IMG][/IMG]

Another[IMG][/IMG]
Modified by GoinTopless240 at 12:34 AM 4/12/2008

YOUNG240SX
Car: 90 hatch

thank you

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

Here's mine.

Plugs are attached on the side of this fuse/relay box.

Look at the bottom.

You have to jump like this to start the car.

These 2 wires go to the reverse switch. I pulled the unnecessary connectors from the plug instead of cutting the wires.

To make the top work, I did it slightly different, but it's basically the same. I exposed 2 wires in the back of the plug using solder iron and used a tiny little piece of metal to clamp them together. It's hard to see, but it's there and top works just fine.

GeorgeZilla
Car: 91 Nissan 240sx Base Model

Thank you!

nicokpe

Wow, looking good

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

lol i wish i had this when i was doing mine. after you do it though its so easy. im about to do another one soon

94_240sx

This is from hijacker, and it's all you need. If yours is not a vert, just ignore Brown/Yellow wire.

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

its funny how i read his write up about 50 times and completly ignored that picture. it made sense after i looked at it

94_240sx

-RJ- wrote:its funny how i read his write up about 50 times and completly ignored that picture. it made sense after i looked at it
That picture was added lately. It was not there when he did the write up.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

About 3/5 people understood what I was saying about making the splices, but the other 2/5 were lost in the dark.

When I was doing up my fog light wiring, I realized how invaluable a simple diagram can be when it comes to wiring, so I did up a quick MS Paint thing for the reverse lights while I was at work a few months ago.

I really need to get off my lazy a** and write up a better wiring how to. I also want it to include my new style of top wiring that doesn't make you have to cut under the hood. You make the cut and splicing at the up/down switch. But I want pictures, which I won't have until I get to work on my friend's convertible we've had sitting for a while.

jackash002
Car: 92 240sx vert,

sorry to bring this post from the grave, but i guess it shows that i seatched ;) .

So the FAQ and other various write ups confused the heck out of me when it came to wiring because some described it as to bridge the two fat wires from the inhibitor switch (brown and black) and then hook the reverse sensor wires to the light green wire and dark brown/blackish wire and reverse lights. (this worked for revers lights and to start the car.. but not for the top.)
And others described a brown w/yellow bridged to the green w/blue going to one of the revers sensor wires and a green/white to the other.. and no pictures in the FAQ except the MS paint version which doesn't really show where those wires are.

So then trying to figure out which wires to connect to get the top to work it, to take the 12v constant from the reverse light wires(kinda green) and connect to brown wire (one of the two bigger wires bridged to get car to start) but one of those is a ground, which makes sparks, shorts and fires.. so i didnt understand how that would be right if you bridge/jump a constant 12 to a jumped/bridged ground without frying something..

so is there any way someone could break it down for me a little bit more now that i have pictures of something to go off of(above), am i not supossed to use the wires on the inhibitor switch, but somewhere else? i saw some pictures of jumping a relay by the intake filter, is that what is needed? or someone able to highlight it on a FSM wiring diagram?

thanks for the newb help, im alright with wiring, just need a good road map, etc. flame on if necessary but couldnt find any pictures or diagrams WITH detailed write up/explaination.
-Ben

music24
Car: s13 Convertible

give me a few days and Ill have the pictures ready for you and a easy write up. Brown/Yellow wire is on the inhibitor switch connector, seperate than the connector that you have to jump to get the car to start

SICK(+)(+)
Car: s13 convertible

ok i have done that my top works but now my reverse light doesnt work lol sorry i had to bring this up

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

SICK(+)(+) wrote:ok i have done that my top works but now my reverse light doesnt work lol sorry i had to bring this up
94_240sx wrote: These 2 wires go to the reverse switch. I pulled the unnecessary connectors from the plug instead of cutting the wires.

SICK(+)(+)
Car: s13 convertible

i have a sr harness and no color like those 2 and now my top is not working tested it again no power going to the switches or wires ? could it be the fuse if so doesnt anyone know where the fuse are or could it be the relay thank you very much

94_240sx

SICK(+)(+) wrote:i have a sr harness and no color like those 2 and now my top is not working tested it again no power going to the switches or wires ? could it be the fuse if so doesnt anyone know where the fuse are or could it be the relay thank you very much
You can go by the locations of the wires, not colors. I'll post the locations later.

94_240sx

This is on the plug in grey color.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”