Daash Light Brake Light Solution (PICS)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Jadesr20det
Car: 1990 NISSAN 240SX

Ok so as some of you may know i was having (as well as others) a dash light brake light issue....i was told to check my harness all the way to my fuses....both were fine of course as i had checked them before posting.....however with the recent posts of the same issue i decided to go back to basics and check the switch itself here is what i found:

here are the dash lights with switch turned to on position (parking/daytime) as you can see no life in the dash at all

here is the little bastard light switch (comes with a white cover over it but i popped it off in order to get to it.....be careful dont just fist a screwdriver in there lol)

as you can switch the switch is good do to the headlights turning on as seen here:

however even though headlights are on and working nothing from the brake lights (note:they work when depressed/pedal is down)

dash still up to its old tricks and nothing has changed

here is the little guy that holds the key between you either a) being rear ended at night or b)being fined by the gustapo (both would suck)

lo an behold if you give em the business (press it down) it makes connection and on the 240th day you have light again

hey look who decided to join the party

pointing with flathead at culprit of your lil gremlin

one more time for good measure

and there you have it folks this is what i found to be my solution hope it helps

o yea u might wanna know how to fix it too huh lol....well i used some needle noses and bent it SLIGHTLY (too much and you will either break it im sure or your lights will never turn off due to constant connection)

Sticky??????

also please post if this helped you thanks and GL

GTR PrYdE
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX, 2003 Evolution VIII

Can you be more specific where you found that box???Thanks

armaddon
Car: 1993 240sx

I am pretty confident that this would fix the problem I am currently having.. but am having trouble finding this switch myself - where should I dig?

Ghast
Car: 1993 240sx, 2002 Lancer ES, 2006 350z Enthusiast

I thought when the brake light stayed on. It is just telling you, you need some break fluid....

Or is this another issue that i have yet to encounter?

One Love,

Ghasty

armaddon
Car: 1993 240sx

Found it, it's the switch physically attached at the base of the turn signal knob (you can see it sticking out of the left side in the second pic). Btw, I had a similar problem in my car, and it turned out to be the shoddy wiring on the plug that connects to this switch.. zer...l-out

placham
Car: 1992 Geo Prizm (4AFE)---Gone
1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe (RB20DET powered),
1994 Toyota Celica GT (3SGTE swapped), 1995 Nissan 240sx KA24DE,
2011 Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V

If you need to replace this combo switch they run around $100, part number 25540-S13001 LIGHTING/COMBO SWITCH. If you cant get your old one working, or if it's worn beyond repair.

Jadesr20det

WOW i thought this was dead.....ill post up a better youtube video that i made tonite

Jadesr20det

here is the link......i made it a bit ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-FvcY7DSTo

placham

Jadesr20det wrote:here is the link......i made it a bit ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-FvcY7DSTo
Great that you took your time out of your day to make a vid.

By the way these light switches should also work in 240sx S13's, also wiper switches from these vehicles should work in 240sx too. I'm not 100% accurate, but this should give people an idea. If your switch brakes, and you hit the junk yard and cant find 240sx. Try to find any of these and it should be the same, I believe.

240sx 89-93240sx 94 convertInfinity G20 91-92Maxima 89-94Nissan Pickup 94-95Stanza 90-92

This thread is full of WIN, information based.

ShereKhan
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

damn i just had this problem hit me last night on my drive home. Was the price you gave from the dealership placham? i might just replace this rather then try to fix it cause i can tell the guy who owned it before me messed with this stuff

p.s. nice video write up it should help me take care of the problem till i can replace it

placham

ShereKhan wrote:damn i just had this problem hit me last night on my drive home. Was the price you gave from the dealership placham? i might just replace this rather then try to fix it cause i can tell the guy who owned it before me messed with this stuff

p.s. nice video write up it should help me take care of the problem till i can replace it
Hit up courtesyparts.com and look it up. Think their dealer out of Texas, or Nissan warehouse, dont know. But parts are legit OEM's.

first linkhttp://www.courtesyparts.com/2....html thumb over part number and click it will take you to that item and show price, and if its available.

second link, this with actual parthttp://www.courtesyparts.com/2....html

I think I'll buy both light and wiper, because I think my wiper switch took a crap, wipers dont want to park $hit.

wiper switch, if any one cares link.http://www.courtesyparts.com/2....html

Sorry for threadjack.

Or hit up your local junk yard, and look for 240sx or cars I posted above, and get this at 1/4 price. I dont think this would cost more than like $25 at junk yard. GL

Jadesr20det

Thanks everyone who has posted in this thread.....this is a common problem w/the S13 chassis so I figured id post up what cleared the problem for me....this thread and vid were originally made about a year ago and to this day havent had the problem reoccur.....This is a quick easy fix plus it's FREE!!!

JayNoel
Car: 90 RBZ32 rescue project

what about this problem on a s14 and as soon as you switch it on the fuse for the tail lights and dash lights blow out?

ILoveMyRHS13
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx (Hatch)

Can I have your taillights?

kouki munster
Car: 97 base 240

JayNoel wrote:what about this problem on a s14 and as soon as you switch it on the fuse for the tail lights and dash lights blow out?
That sounds like you have a short directly to ground, check all your wiring for any damage. This might be a long shot, but also change the bulbs, I've seen a bad bulb pop fuses.

l2edken

nice tails!

Jadesr20det

JayNoel wrote:what about this problem on a s14 and as soon as you switch it on the fuse for the tail lights and dash lights blow out?
That sounds more like a wiring issue or a bulb issues as stated. Also try a higher amp fuse and see if that works (happened to my friend before). As for the tails thanks but they're rice ....I do have another set in a box mint but idk if i want to sell them yet hmmmm

kouki munster
Car: 97 base 240

Jadesr20det wrote:
That sounds more like a wiring issue or a bulb issues as stated. Also try a higher amp fuse and see if that works (happened to my friend before). As for the tails thanks but they're rice ....I do have another set in a box mint but idk if i want to sell them yet hmmmm
Using a fuse with a higher amperage rating than what is originally installed is a good way to start a fire or seriously f**k something up.(won't always happen but it greatly increases the likelyhood that it will)

Jadesr20det

kouki munster wrote:
Using a fuse with a higher amperage rating than what is originally installed is a good way to start a fire or seriously f**k something up.(won't always happen but it greatly increases the likelyhood that it will)
Like i said I'e never done it but my friend has and hasnt had a problem. As with anything attempt at your own risk.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”