Cheap Front End Upgrade

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
droopy170
Car: 08 Rogue S Indigo Blue

Couldn't stand the opening in the lower grill with the exposed radiator. No after market inserts yet. So while I was at the hardware store found a 20'x6" roll of black plasitc gutter guard for under $5.00 (don't really like a lot of chrome). Bought some 4" zip ties to hold it in place and I now have a grill insert. Mounted behind the opening, it is subtle but looks much better. If anyone can help me post them I have a couple of pictures. All told it cost me about $10.00 for materials and about an hour to install.

droopy
Modified by droopy170 at 5:49 AM 2/17/2008

Rogueman
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Post some pics man, i wanna see.

got.me.a.rogue
Car: 08 rogue sl awd

If anyone can help me post them I have a couple of pictures picture posting help link belowhttp://forums.nicoclub.com/zer...tures

websfear
Car: 2008 Rogue SL Venom Red

The main point is that you need a photo service to host your photos.

You can use commercial ones, or you can use free ones like Flickr.

Once you have done that, you will need to get the specific URL to the photo.

With that URL, click on the image button in the post editor, and paste the URL between the [IMG][/IMG] tags (between the ] and the [ ).

droopy170

I appreciate the help in posting pics, lets see if this works.http://droopyspics.shutterfly.com/actiondroopy
Modified by droopy170 at 5:48 AM 2/17/2008

droopy170

Again thanks for the help with posting the pic. I'll try to get more when the light is better. But this should give an idea.

droopy170

Couple more, again lighting sucks but gives an idea.

droopy
Modified by droopy170 at 6:35 AM 2/17/2008

websfear
Car: 2008 Rogue SL Venom Red

And maybe a step by step if others want to do this?

droopy170

I'll do my best to get a detailed one put together later, but it's really not that hard. Short version is to cut a piece about 42". The plastic "gutter guard" bent easily and fit through the grill. I did not remove any trim pieces. A loose zip tie at one end to keep placement helped. As a note it will not fit completely flush all the way around, but the gaps are small (1/2" or so) and not noticible. Start in the middle and work to outer edges. I placed the zip ties on the verticle pieces of the grill, and used 2 ties per verticle. 1 on top of horizontal piece, and 1 around the verticle at the bottom of grill opening. I have driven about 30 miles so far and no problems. The weave is pretty wide on this stuff so I don't belive there will be any "air flow" problems. It should also help to protect the radiator. Hope this helps.

droopy

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

Please take a couple of pictures from a little further back. Looks pretty good! I wondered if this opening could lead to radiator damage, I think you may be on to a simple attractive solution.

droopy170

Ticmxman, here you go. It is really hard to get pics from any distance as it just blends in. I agree about protecting against radiator damage and appreciate the compliments.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Looks fantastic droopy!

Very well done! Nissan should have done that from the factory.

I wonder what the front end would look like with the mesh you just added painted chrome.. along with the rest of the front grill around the nissan logo? Too much chrome perhaps..

albertwang16

Hey, great idea. I didn't notice it is wide open down there to protect the radiator. Could you provide a little more detail on how you put it on? like what's the length and width of the gutter guard and where did you put the zip ties to hold it in place. thanks.

droopy170

Might be a little too much "chrome". If I am not mistaken, they had a couple different shades of the plastic. They also had a similar aluminum mesh ("chromelike" finish), but you would most likley have to remove some trim panels to get access. droopy

tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

No bad, I had my 1987 Honda EXI with net in front of the radiator for summer time insects and I am going to see how to put the net in my Rogue.

boooey

i would like to do this but would also like to know where exactly did you use the zip ties to attach to the body frame on the car?

and do you hear any noise or rattling when going faster?its a great idea, as long as it doesn't looked "rigged" when its on up close.

i really don't want to see zip ties holding something onto my car.. so i really wanna know where you used them

thanks!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

VERY cool. Saw a Rogue in a parking lot and was thinking, "That opening looks tacky".

Problem solved.

boooey

what hardware store did you buy this at?was this it?

I found that online but anyone know if Home Depot or Lowes carry this? and in black?
Modified by boooey at 12:36 PM 2/22/2008

droopy170

That's the stuff, bought it at Lowes, and it is black.

Droopy

droopy170

I placed the zip ties on the verticle pieces of the grill, and used 2 ties per verticle. 1 on top of horizontal piece, and 1 around the verticle at the bottom of grill opening. Also had 1 on each corner of the verticle piece. Once applied the zip tie can be rotated a bit so the the connection of the tie is against the mesh. No noise rattling or any other problems noted. I have had up to about 70mph and no issues. droopy

boooey

droopy170 wrote:I placed the zip ties on the verticle pieces of the grill, and used 2 ties per verticle. 1 on top of horizontal piece, and 1 around the verticle at the bottom of grill opening. Also had 1 on each corner of the verticle piece. Once applied the zip tie can be rotated a bit so the the connection of the tie is against the mesh. No noise rattling or any other problems noted. I have had up to about 70mph and no issues. droopy
tha
droopy170 wrote:I placed the zip ties on the verticle pieces of the grill, and used 2 ties per verticle. 1 on top of horizontal piece, and 1 around the verticle at the bottom of grill opening. Also had 1 on each corner of the verticle piece. Once applied the zip tie can be rotated a bit so the the connection of the tie is against the mesh. No noise rattling or any other problems noted. I have had up to about 70mph and no issues. droopy
thanks for the instructions droopy!I actually installed it tonight

I even used gray zip ties to go with the my Gotham Gray paint.. but i may switch to black, as they kinda show a little more down in the shady areas

droopy170

Post some pics!!

droopy

Rogueman
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Im really interested in doing this, but i really dont get howd you installed it. did you jack up the front end in order to install it? Can you post pics where exactly you put the ties in? Sorry for being a dummy about it.

Thanks droops.

droopy170

The gutter guard is flexible plastic, feed it through the main grill opening till the approximately 42" piece is inside the grill. When zip tying you can put your hand threw the 4 lower openings to help with positioning. The grill has 4 veritcal bars and 1 horizontal bar (center). Zip ties go around the verticles, place 1 at each intersection of horizonatl and vertical on top of the horizontal. Place a 2nd zip tie at each intersection of horizonatl and vertical just above the bottom opening of grill. If this still dosen't help, shoot me an e-mail, with your phone# and I can try and talk you threw it.

Droopy

Msdarkdiva
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Silver Ice

Found this at Reno Depot/ Building Box for $3.81. So any big hardware chain should have it. There were two different types (thin and thick), exactly the same length, in the same bin- so be careful! I went for the thick type. Going to try putting it on when the temperature warms up a bit.

Thanks droopy170- this is a great idea!

boooey

droopy170 wrote:Post some pics!!

droopy
I drove to the store, and when i got back home there were aready a few leafs in the netting, so although minor, it does block some debris nicely.

here is my install, thanks again for the idea droopy!

droopy170

Your'e welcome, although I have no idea what Nissan was thinking with the design of the grill. It looks sweet, and I love the black and gray contrast. I think it's amazing what a difference it makes to looks of the Rogue. But it is so subtle you have to point it out to non owners because it looks OEM. Before you go all black on zip ties I would try 1 or 2 first. You might also want to try white. By the way did you use the 4" or larger size?Thanks for posting the pics.

Droopy

boooey

the black zip ties are much better.. you cant even tell they are there.I tried light gray first and they stuck out in the dark shadowy areas.

I used 4in zip ties

droopy170

Cool, glad they worked. I can imagine how frustrating it was. Like I said it looks great!

droopy

PS let me know if I missed anything significant on the install "guide", or if you found an easier way to do anything. D
Modified by droopy170 at 5:01 PM 2/24/2008

boooey

just drove 40 miles of highway driving, and everything is still good.

I am still amazed at how good it looks for being a 4 dollar modification.

On a side note.. i walked past a Murano in the parking lot at work and noticed their grill is completely wide open at the bottom also.

Return to “Rogue Forum”