Vh45de?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
akira0

Does anyone have any information on this Infinity engine? The only things I have are some specifics, like HP, torque, and how the engine is used in Indy series racing.

What I am after is engine weight, and size (dimensions)

Does anyone have those numbers, or know someone that has access to the motor itself to find out?

The whole RB mess going on now, it may just be time to think of a different route for engine swaps. :) If someone can do an american V8, why not an infinity V8? :D

SHIFT_Lock
Car: kouki s14

open the hood of a q45 .

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

it's a dead end motor. I had one I was going to use in my Silvia but I quickly dicovered that nobody makes aftermarket parts for it. I contacted Ed Pink who is one of the Indy engine builders and he said the Indy motors are too different to swap parts from into an OE engine. All I found were steel head gaskets that HKS discontinued and Eibach makes valve springs. I have the VH45 engine manual, it might have the stats you want but the motor is a pink elephant due to it's short run and lack of aftermarket support. I'm waiting to get the skinny on the new 5.6 liter V8 in the new Titan pickup, that could be something.

akira0

There is a company in Australia, that just opened here in the US too called Sub-Zero, and 2 other Aussie shops that do aftermarket for that engine. I shot off an e-mail, and apparenlty the market for the VH in Aussieville is quite large. He said they can get pretty much anything I need from rocker arms, to cams, to pistons, crank, etc etc etc. all made to any spec that is requested.

It's worth looking into, IMO. If you can get me the specs of that engine, I would be grateful.

Plus, wouldn't it be great to be sitting at some random red light, and completely lift the front end of your car off the ground while the car next to you that THOUGHT he was a bad a$$ cowers in fear. :D

Plus, I thought the engine was still in production. I am guessing I am wrong??

themadscientist

I haven't seen it in any new models here. They were using the VK series after the VH but I don't see that one anymore either. I think after the French infestation they got all hot on the VQ.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

There are still plenty of VH's around.They have a real strong bottom end ( six bolt mains w/ girdle/ also closed deck engine).

Lots of very high quality metallurgy used. vicran valve seats/valves, sodium filled exhaust valves from 90-92 etc.

Engine was made in Japan until model year ca 2001 (Nissan President), so production #'s higher than US sales (90-96 MOY's) would suggest.

The only "weakness" is rings.They are pretty good compared to many other V8's, but not so overbuilt like the rest of engine.

Even though it is all aluminum it's still 500 lbs...

Fred..:)

PalmerWMD

PS: VK45de currently used in 2k2/2k3+ Q45 and 2k3 + M45.

Open deck engine, but is a tad lighter.

Fred...:)

akira0

Now that is what I was looking for.

You rock Fred!

All I have left now is the dimensions, which I can probably get by looking at the VK under the hood of a Q...

Now my wheels are a turnin' for a different swap. :D

Fred, if you know, what transmissions did these things come with? Are they all automatics, or did some come with a 6 speed?

PalmerWMD

Akira:

I'll look for dimensions, but be aware not an easy swap.Also it's the VH45de's not the VK45de's that are available (as the VK are so much newer and will command top dollar.

The most desirable VH45s for hi-po performance tuning, are the 90-92's in my opinion, since they still have the sodium filled exhaust valves.

Also the first 18 months of production of VH45de's are rumored to be the strongest ( by US standards they are balanced and blue-printed at the factory, that's how well made they are).

The 93 engines are nearly the same except no sodium filled exhaust valves ( still vicran valves/valves seatsthough).The 94/95 VH45 are ever so slightly de-tuned at max power <but> have a small improvemnt in mid-range power (and of course all 90-95 have VVT)

They all came with auto tranny's, many have sugested a 300ZXTT manual would work in a Q ( some fitment issues stick would be forward of current autostick position etc, but all this wont concern you)

As for dimension the VH45de is just ever so slightly too wide to fit readily, under a 240SX hood making for a more demanding swap (ie bodywork).

But that measurement was taken at an S13 I believe, maybe S14's larger?

One of our members from the Infinti section has investigated this to include an (almost) practice fit with a real engine if memory serves.

But he was discouraged by the fact that the swap would need body work ( and who can blame him).And you would need to use a standalone ECU if you went with a different (manual) tranny.

Many have talked about a VH45de swap into a 240SX over the years, yet in my years as a denizen of the Nissan Infinti internet scene, <no one> has done it yet.

So if you did, you would certainly be the most special swap at any show (at least for those few in the know) and you would be sure to get into a major magazine.

An RB swap should be a lot less hassle and the engine is a direct fit.

VH45De's are not cheap to buy off a junk yard (unless they are junk) so if you go this route, shop <very> carefully.

I just bought a 1995 low mile VH45de for only 1500 it was in good enough a shape it needed less than $1000 in parts for R&R.A very lucky buy.

I also just sold, a very excellent, extremely unusually good running ( courtesy of NICO Super-Moderator Dennis aka Q45 tech spening almost 2 and a half days on it, shortly before crash) for even less.

Those are unusual good case scenarious; on the other hand, I once paid over $3500 for a so-so VH45de ( in 1998).

McAdam
Car: I like cars and my motorcycle. boats are fun too

I wonder how that VH45DE powered 260Z is coming along? that would be one nice swap!!

McAdam

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

themadscientist wrote: I'm waiting to get the skinny on the new 5.6 liter V8 in the new Titan pickup, that could be something.

i dont know how similar it is to the vk45, but i will tell you it is very similar in architechture to the qr25. it does have a six bolt main though. a friend of a friend is an engineer that works on the vk56 team and he emphaticly states is would be easily capable of 400+ hp, but if it is based on the qr25 then i am sceptical. interesting tidbit. ever seen a v8 with the starter in the intake valley? well this one has it in the valley, but facing the other way. its not actually in the valley of the engine, but rather on top of the transmission. you have to remove the plenum to get to it, but that is really easy.

sachmo12345

A couple of guys in Australia have a Twin Turbo VH45DE in a Nissan Suv connected to a i think a 6 speed it was up on here about a month or so ago

meggala

yeah here are pics of a vh41 de in an s13 it does fit not the 45 thoughmeggala

AREITU

The VH41 looks all weird. Never seen an intake manifold not follow the V before...anyway, megalla, is there more info on that VH car? Like transmission, engine mounts, wiring, etc.? I've been trying to find info on that kind of swap...

Compiling info for a nissan leopard/Infiniti M30 V8 swap. :D

themadscientist

does he have a manual tranny? I'm finding VHs really cheap and want to shoe-horn one into my R32.

PalmerWMD

TMS : are you still in Japan or do you have good USDM sources?

themadscientist

still in the land of the rising boost. I just tripped over five VH41-powered Cimas and i know i can get them at like $400-$500 a mill. The only real thing stopping me is the lack of a tranny. I'm going to check Nissan and see if they still have any metal Nismo head gaskets left.

PalmerWMD

No probs with VH series gaskets as far as I know.:)

When are you coming back to USA?

Will you be able to take your ride with you?

20B Doorslammer

What subframes are being used to fit the VH's?

themadscientist

Not coming back. If i decide to mess with the VH I'll get the engine subframe with it. Nissan is petty good about interchangability and i hope the subframe bolts into the Skyline's frame rails.

AREITU

I saw some cheap early model Q45s all over eBay going for about the same price as an SR20DET front clip. You could probably buy the entire car and strip it for parts...

Anybody know about the interchangability between Q45 parts and Infiniti M30 (Nissan Leopard) parts?

PalmerWMD

Areitu:

I watch those all teh time too.Sadly by teh tiem they wind up on ebay they ahve been owned by neglecting owner.Cheap cars, which early Q45's now are, tend to be owned by guys on a budget, if your budget is too tight you wont maintain a Q45 properly.

Japanses take-out engines will be in much better shape than engine's out of 90% of ebay Q's.

In both cases you would likely need to renew a few peripherals to get engine to run well ( couple sesnors and such).

Still it's a good point you make.

Making a early Q a potential as a reall sleep:Step 1) buy an ebay Q for $4000 ( with local NICO inspecting + member making sure its not a rolling wreck)Step 2) With some skill, slap on a HKS turbo which is currently FS at a big discount from MVP motorsports NICO sponsor.Step 3) Drive a 450 Hp sleeper.

Despite the Auto, the free revving nature of this 32 valve all aluminum VVT engine, would allow you to give M5 drivers a run for their money, especially at hiway speeds.

AREITU

Or deck it out VIP style...that'd be cool too. :E

jmicaelk

Well I'm new here and have some questions about the VH45DE, but before that i would like to answer the OP's question about this engine

VK45DE-Dry Weight: 236.5 kgSize(mm)(L x W x H): 921 x 692 x 778

VH41DE-Dry Weight: 260 kgSize(mm)(L x W x H): 850 x 680 x 760

My question is what is the most HP anyone has gotten out of this engine, planing to use twin turbo. Some one mentioned some one from Australia with a twin turbo engine in a pick up.

Please let me know some more if you have the information.

Thanks Micael

PalmerWMD

Micael:

Search for posts by member AGM.He has that twin turbo set-up.

How to search?

Go to "members" button on topFind "AGM"Go to his profilego to button "search all posts by this user"

Not trying to be sarcastic with the above , its just in case you are not familiar with vbulletin.

jmicaelk

Thanks Fred It's helpfull since I'm not familiar.

Micael

PalmerWMD

Oops maybe I confused him with another Australian that had a TT VH45de in a patrol.

On second thought AGM may have an SC instead.

Return to “General Chat”