2001 Pathfinder-slow windows cured!

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
dapfnp
Car: 2001 PF LE

I just wanted to thank this message board for having some great info. I was checking out the site last week for an engine code issue, when i ran across a post about power windows opening and closing very slowly. The thread mentioned cleaning and spraying the tracks with silicone. Such a simple thing, and it worked wonders. Windows are much smoother, quicker and no straining sounds from from the motor. It took less than 1/2 an hour! Thanks.

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

You should do a quick write up on what you did. It might get stickied that way!

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

SnowSurfLax wrote:You should do a quick write up on what you did. It might get stickied that way!
I 2nd this. I would love to see a step by step of how you did this. In my 01 QX4 the windows are so slow it's like waiting for conditioner to work!

Billy

wormfood
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I would like to know what you did in more detail as well. The last few weeks have been very cold and my windows take forever to close...

I'm also a chicken to crack open the door casing without having some explanation of what to expect...

dapfnp
Car: 2001 PF LE

Well, I will do my best to explain the procedure. I'll appologize in advance if I use some improper/vague terminolgy.

First of all, when I refer to window tracks, I am referring to the rubber tracks on the inside of the door frame where the window slides against/into. They are on the sides and at the base where the window disappears into the door. I did not take the door panel off, this was a simple procedure.

First thing is to lower the windows (we all know the rears go down about 2/3, what a pain). Then clean the tracks with some a multi-surface type cleaner (fancy windex). Although I only used bunched up paper towels, you could probably finish off w/ a Q-tip to get in the tight spaces better.

After cleaning all 4 window tracks, generously spray silicone spray (not WD-40) on all side tracks, making sure to get in between well. I did not use the WD-40 type red straw, and controlling the spray was easy, just protcet the car's interior by using some paper towel in your free hand and follow the can up and down to protect the interior from overspray (probably more of an issue if interior is cloth).

I then rolled up all the windows, and sprayed at the base of the window letting the silicone slowly drip through the rubber track. I did this both outside and inside. I did use a soft, plastic putty knife to create a small seperation b/w the window and the track at the base, allowing good coverage of the inside of the track. I was not trying to spray down into the door, although I am sure some overspray in that area is unavoidable.

I kept the windows closed for a few hours, thinking the silicone would have a chance to migrate to all possible areas. I am not sure if this is necessary, it is just what I did.

After a few up and down cycles, they were a lot smoother and much quicker. And the motors did not sound as if they were straining. I think I should have tried to clean a bit more thoroughly, that is why I recommend a Q-tip following the paper towel, but overall, what a difference.

Only downside is it might take a little effort cleaning the windows, I used newspaper and the same multi surface cleaner, but it is not really a major problem. I wish I had done this years ago.

I hope this helps those of you with the same problem. Great site, I look forward to checking in frequently.

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

It's that easy? hell. .my passenger window is so slow I'm afraid to use it!I keep thinking I'm gonna burn my motor out (and probably will).

Thanks!!!

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

dapfnp thanks for the breakdown, I'm going out to get some spray right now! Thanks!

Billy

bmlawless
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

I wonder how well pipe cleaner would work as opposed to Q-tips. They might hold together better.

Regarding back windows. I always wondered why they went down part way. I figured it was a safety issues to prevent the kiddies from leaping out the back windows. This was until I bought a crew cab and found that the windows went down all the way and then it hit me.

With a sedan or SUV, the rear doors have to have a curved shape to allow for the rear wheel well. Because of this, there is not enough room for the window to go all the way down. DUH!

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

At least they don't roll down like Subaru, where it looks like the window broke off the track and slipped forward in the door

timmack
Car: 2002 Beige Pathfinder SE

haha no kidding. 90-93 acura integra 4 door does the same thing. back 2 windows are a triangle sticking up when rolled down as far as they will go. funny looking.

slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

i love simple remedies. ready to go try that now.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

1/2 hour is stretching it.... it takes two minutes you can buy industrial strength silicon lubricant at dedicated appliance parts stores, but they have decent stuff at home depot too

Infinitidood412
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4 Gold Edition

holy crap, my 99.5 Qx4 the passenger window takes a good 15 seconds to close!!!!!!!!

ubpsanity
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE, 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

I'll have to try this, it's a pain when I go through security at work; 2 minutes of the windows going up and down for a 5 second exchange with the security guards. But it's only slow when it's cold, when it's warm it's not so bad. But I don't care when it's warm, when it's cold, I'm cold...

timmack
Car: 2002 Beige Pathfinder SE

good post-i went and got some silicone spray yesterday and tried it, its like night and day. i had just kind of adapted to the slow windows, especially in the cold but this made a huge difference. thanks for taking the time to do that writeup, dapfnp.

Kduda
Car: 1997 J30

Thanks for the step-by-step details so that even a girl could do it. It worked great!! And, I mean, after all, girls love their Js, too!

sixty4
Car: 2008 QX56
1964 Lincoln Continental

Gone:
2006 QX56, 1998 QX4, 2001 QX4, 2000 I30

I did this yesterday, an old post but here are some observations and suggestions.

Silicon Spray - Walmart carries a small spray can for about $250, even Advanced Auto only had Lithium Grease in a spray bottle

Cleaning - On my QX4 I can actually pull the windows seals away from the inner door window frame out just enough to really get them clean. To clarify I can pull the rubber seal on the opened side of the door toward the hinges. You can then put an a good amount of paper towel in there to clean it.

I also used Q Tips as suggested, hold two together or more to increase the cleaning surface area and slide that back and forth inside the windows seal.

GRNMACHINE
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE 4x4

thanks for updating sixty4. I did this years ago and forgot all about it. Its getting cold out and the windows are like watching grass grow slow... I usually use GUNK brand spray. Just an FYI, their liquid pentrate is in the same color yellow spray can and can be easily mixed up. Was spraying my rear hatch struts with the wrong can a few weeks ago...... that stuff comes out gray and can stain..... so make sure when spraying GUNK make sure its the right can and spray it during the day.............

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

sixty4 wrote:
Silicon Spray - Walmart carries a small spray can for about $250, even Advanced Auto only had Lithium Grease in a spray bottle
I hope that's a typo re: price. LOL

Pwnin O'Brien

Hahaha yeah, that better be some really good stuff at that price.

QRXT4

I just want to commend the author of this quick and easy fix for our QX4's slow windows. I fixed my driver's window last week using the procedures. Winter cold doesn't affect it anymore, the window glides up and down on its tracks. Thank you very much!!

t_b0ne3
Car: 2002 Infinti QX4 4wd My first Nissan was a 1985 720 4wd P/U. My other ride is a 2005 FXDWGI

I tried this fix on my 2001 q and it didn't speed them up to much,but it is the white season here in NEPA and that doesn't help! What I did next helped a TON I got a small steamer with a very small diameter hole in it and steamed all the tracks until the "black crap" stopped running out of them then reapplied the white lithium grease and walla! We have a winner windows fly up and down now!

rizzol19

This DIY was amazing! My windows are much happier now.

Thanks

MrMojorisin921

Worked great, thanks for the post! :dblthumb:

PJSnow
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

its silicone spray lubricant right? or it shouldnt say lubricant?

Drexellake

Nice. Should also prolong the life of the motor having less stress on it after clean and lube.

artemny
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder (R50) LE

Can someone PLEASE point out exactly WHAT TYPE of silicon spray to use, since there are dozens of them on the market.

THANKS!!!

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

The cheapest stuff you can find will work perfectly.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”