another creation by vroom . (cup holder) write up

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
le_ryan
Car: Mazda 3 / 91 nissan S13 SR

Does this conversation sound familiar ?!

" yeah, can i get a number 1 combo ... no drink please ".

~"Ok, i have a number one combo, with no drink .... are you sure you dont need a drink sir. ? "~

*sigh* ... "yes, i dont have cup holders .."

NEVER AGAIN !!!!!!!...

Introducing !!

The padded arm rest drink holder lid 2008 ! By vroom !

Yes you heard right, now you can hold cans, bottles, cups, AND MORE !!

What you need :

- Arm rest lid- Low profile foam *optional, but looks and performs better- 4 very small screws- Office stapler- razor- something to cut plastic, or a hole maker drill bit- vinyl or leather or material of choice- A drink holder liner from a random car(mine was from a 98 malibu) *optional, but looks great.- heat gun or blow dryer

Start :

Pull off your arm rest by removing the two screws at the bottom holding the hinge on. and wiggle the arch out carefully.

3. Remove all the screws, including the one hiding under the latch.

4. Trace the top of the lid with against the foam, give yourself about a half inch extra on all sides, you will be trimming some off later on .

5. Cut it out, then trim it at an angle, with a downward slope, your razor needs to be sharp for this. You dont have to trim it off at an angle but, it looks nice under the vinyl if you do..

6. place it on top of the lid now, and make sure theirs not any hanging over the edge, any protruding bumps or deep grooves will show through the vinyl, so cut it at clean as you can,.

7. Lay the foam and the lid down onto the vinyl, and cut an over sized square around the lid, to make it easy to work with. 8. Now draw a circle on the lid where you will want the drink to sit, it should be the diameter of the bottom of the drink holder liner.

Cut it.

Then place the foam on top the lid, flip it over to trace the hole from the bottom of the lid.

Cut the foam.

Now place the liner of the lid back on the lid, and trace the circle onto that from the top of the lid.

And cut it too.

Now you should have all the pieces ready.(lid liner not shown.)

Start by placing the vinyl backside up, then the foam, then the lid onto it, with the hole lined up. draw a cross in the middle of the hole on the vinyl, and cut it, stretch the flaps onto the lid, and place a screw in each one (careful not to go too deep).

What you do is gently heat one side up, pull it into the lid, and staple it in, then go to the opposite side and do the same, then the other, and the the remaining side.Once you have a staple in all sides, work your way around heating and stretching the material into the lid and stapling it in.It wont look like its gonna work at first, dont be discuraged, It will work and the payoff is sooo nice.

heres a pic in process

When you have it all nicely stretched and stapled in and your satisfied with the look, screw the liner back on, this adds more strength to holding the vinyl together, as you can see.

Now your done, insert your drink holder liner, the rim of it will hold it from falling through.

not too bad eh?....

this may seem shallow, but it works great, after all, it came from the factory .

Even holds 20oz bottles

holds them tight .. here im holding the bottle, thats lifting the center council ..

And if your not confident in that ,... take the liner out. i couldnt find a restaurant cup but im sure it fits, id did when it was in the malibu

ENJOY !!!

Some more pics and stuff
vroom-chirp wrote:heres about 15min of work, buy one from the yard, $5. then slap it in and see how you like it .

just drill out some holes and throw in the liners .

My boss was riding my back the whole time ......

ill post back once this one is padded and covered.
vroom-chirp wrote:Done ..

the one in the rear will be for cans, and the one in the front will be for bottles or fountain drinks.

Also, the one up front is made of soft rubber, so its not bad at all to rest your elbow on. (from a pontiac sunfire )

Im not condoning these drinks in the car .....

even fits a grande Taco bell cup !!

and thats that .

The S14 padded dual holder already sold lacally lol, but i have 2 padded S13 lids and 1 S13 padded single holder lid for sale in my sig .
vroom-chirp wrote:Looks pretty stock to me ......

LOL all made and ready to be bought .

the one on the far right is S14

Modified by vroom-chirp at 11:43 PM 1/14/2008
Modified by vroom-chirp at 10:13 PM 1/23/2008

le_ryan

Thanx to asher4857 for giving me the idea .

le_ryan

Actually, i just thought about it, you can cut the bottom of the drink holder liner off too, allowing for that clean look with deep well

9tray2fourOsX
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Nico has become a battle for the next best cup holder.....so entertaining, but i like this the best so far. I think we should put them all together and VOTE !!!

Uberck
Car: 240sx

very clean vroom, nice. now what about when lifting the arm rest. there needs to be some way to hold the cup holder in place so it doesn't fall out. also why not just cut the hole farther back on the armrest since the pocket in the rear of the storage compartment is much deeper

asher4857
Car: '89 240SX Fastback

vroom... that is awesome... very clean looking as I knew you would make it.

That was eventually how I was going to clean mine up. I was going to mix the padded armrest writeup you had made to my already made cupholder. But now I just follow your instructions!

funigui
Car: I HAD a 1991 240sx coupe. woked NA motor. ran like 14.5 ish. blew it up @ 140 after an ECU reflash.

You can get a deep "cup" insert off of a ford bronco, they have them in there center consoles.... ( i stole my brothers lol)

Didderson
Car: 1990 240sx fastback; '88 Hardbody pickup; '74 Datsun Z

Looks as nice as a Range rover cupholder.

Vroom, still the king of clean *** interior work!

keith0486

**** with all these cup holder write ups the only thing you got to worry about is what one to go with lol.

2ndnissan
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

Nice cupholder! Now someone has to figure out a way to put a Charger hot/cold cupholder in that spot*s* Yours is great and a simple mod. I can see a double cupholder popping up out of the top of the dash (like that gauge cluster)..but I'm not gonna try it!

2ndnissan
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

Velcro would keep the cupholder in place or a dab of epoxy around the bottom end...

addisonblck
Car: 93 se mods soon to come
Sc300 1jz swap laundry list of goodies

def gonna do that in my car.just last night i spilled dp on my balls cuz of that sh@#.nice write up bro...looks fin sweet.

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

i dig it ryan. might have to try this.

R6_240sx
Car: 1997 240SX LE, 2004 YZF-R6, 1980 Celica GT

vroom pwns on cool write ups

le_ryan

Uberck wrote: now what about when lifting the arm rest. there needs to be some way to hold the cup holder in place so it doesn't fall out.
in the second to last pic, im actually holding the bottle, and the bottle is lifting the center council . the foam holds the cup liner in pretty tight, but if not, you can throw in some epoxy glue and it will hold too.
Uberck wrote: why not just cut the hole farther back on the armrest since the pocket in the rear of the storage compartment is much deeper
you can do that too, but its just that much of a stretch to get the drink, i just opted no too.

I WAS however, going to make a double holder, and sell it.

Uberck
Car: 240sx

vroom-chirp wrote:you can do that too, but its just that much of a stretch to get the drink, i just opted no too.

I WAS however, going to make a double holder, and sell it.
good point. one more benefit to moving it towards the rear of the lid is so that the driver can rest his arm on the padded arm rest, and a bit less shifting interference

asher4857
Car: '89 240SX Fastback

yea, when I clean mine up I'm going to make a second spot as well

le_ryan

one thing you have to watch out for is, the structual stability of the lid decreases with 2 holes, might be prone to breaking under to much weight.

le_ryan

BTW, its for sale .

$30.oo + shipping

sancosys

Sheesh did you cut the hole while blind folded?

jk jk

But seriously why are there so many cup holder threads now?

Aaron

le_ryan

sancosys wrote:Sheesh did you cut the hole while blind folded?

jk jk
well, i traced a circle, then cut it using a heated up knife, ... I didnt have a hole maker drill bit .

le_ryan

just made an S14 lid, (padded with dual holders )

le_ryan

you dont have to go with the padded method, you can just drill out the holes with a 3" hole maker drill bit, then just intsert a cup holder liner from the junk yard.

R6_240sx

how'd u get the material to fit in nicely on the s14?

i had hell tucking mine in, esp in the front where the lever is.

thefro526
Car: BMW 325Ci & S13 Coupe

Epic Victory!!!! I was just talking to a friend of mine with a probe and we were trying to figure out how to put a cup holder in my car and this looks great If i ever have the extra time i'm definitely gonna try to make a double for my s13

le_ryan

R6_240sx wrote:how'd u get the material to fit in nicely on the s14?

i had hell tucking mine in, esp in the front where the lever is.
I wasnt crowned "Interior King" because of my manly figure and my boyish good looks ......

R6_240sx

can u take a pic of the front of the s14 arm rest, i wanna see how well i did mine compared to the interior king, lol...

Unreal

Haha that's great, I'll have to do that before I throw the tranny dash in

le_ryan

R6_240sx wrote:can u take a pic of the front of the s14 arm rest, i wanna see how well i did mine compared to the interior king, lol...
Ill admit, the S14 lid is a bit harder to stretch then the S13 lid.

Heres a pic of the hardest area (still need to clean it up)

le_ryan

Return to “240sx General Discussion”