How To: Removing Vert Interior Door Panel

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

This was something that I didn't want to do, but I had no choice. Both of my front speakers are blown, and I have some little projects that require door panels off. These article and thread will help you along with this write up.

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id ... ead/300033

There are 5 screws to remove on the door panel. You have to remove the caps with flat head screw driver on 2 of them. Here's the locations. Hardest part is removing the window switch trim. Stick your hand under the panel and push it from inside. If you pull it from outside, most likely you will break it. You should wear long sleeve t-shirt when you do this. I got some scratches on my arm. DO NOT use flat head screw driver to pry it out from outside. This trim is so brittle, so you will chip it in no time.

Remove door lock insert. It'll just come out easy. This picture is from above positronone's thread.

Remove emblem with a flat head screw driver. You can also chip this emblem, so go easy on it. You will see a small screw there. Remove it. This trim piece won't come out easy because there's velcro like stuff is holding inside, so gently pull here and there, and it'll come out eventually. Do not force it.

There's a screw holding inner weather strip. Remove it.

Next is seat belt. This is a bottom part. Push this clip out from the inside. There are several tabs and you don't want to break them. You can slide the belt out through the slot.

Here's the top. Same as bottom.

Now only clips are holding the panel, so just pull bottom part and it'll come out. It's finally off now.

Here's the bad part. This inner strip has a metal wire inside and I bent it big time. It's impossible to straighen it, so I'll have to get a new one. When you work on it, be extra careful with this one. I'll get some more pics tonight for the inner weather strip.

Door insert was slowly coming out, so I applied a little bit of JB Weld. I also hammered staples from inside, so insert looks much better now.

I hope this helps.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Great post '94.

Added to the FAQS sticky thread.

As a reward, you get a custom title.. err wait.. I think you've earned about 10 of those now. Well.. how about a bit hearty "Thank You" for your continued help and contributions to the forum.

94_240sx

Haha!! You are very welcome, Eikon.Please add another '94_240sx' under my current custom title. I'll see how many will fit.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

you asked for it. except i don't know how to stack them vertically..

there... added a little dash mark. LOL

if you want me to get rid of it I will.. just let me know.

94_240sx

Haha! Thanks.If you can't stack them, get rid of it.

I'm going wash the carpeted area with Oxiclean fabric cleaner as the other guy suggested. I'll post before and after pics. I'll also have to remove passenger side panel, and I'll post if I encounter any other issues.

jamesblonde82
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx convertible RIP 5/10/07 1993 Nissan 240sx convertible

nice write up! i was always scared to screw up my door panels if i ever need to remove them. nice to know where the hidden screws are too for the pillar cover.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

94, you might want to mention that the b-pillar part of the panel is fragile. The rearward portion has broken off of both of my door panels.

Also, the plastic for the interior weatherstrip is very fragile. From daily wear and tear of opening/closing, mine completely broke off.

And be careful with those Nissan symbols on the outside b-pillar cover. They're 80 bucks brand new from the dealer. I ride without them now just because I refuse to pay that much for an emblem

94_240sx

Hijacker wrote:94, you might want to mention that the b-pillar part of the panel is fragile. The rearward portion has broken off of both of my door panels.

Also, the plastic for the interior weatherstrip is very fragile. From daily wear and tear of opening/closing, mine completely broke off.
I didn't notice that. You know... I have a garage, so that would have made a difference. Sun damages plastic parts big time. Anyway, when you work on it, be gentle and don't force anything. I think I'm going to add disclaimer 'If something breaks, it's your responsibility.'

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Hijacker wrote:And be careful with those Nissan symbols on the outside b-pillar cover. They're 80 bucks brand new from the dealer. I ride without them now just because I refuse to pay that much for an emblem
sounds like a good time to get some aluminum plate, cut to fit, have nissan logo etched into it. probably still be less than $80 each...

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Getting my coupe doors painted costs less than $80

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Hijacker wrote:Getting my coupe doors painted costs less than $80

that's my solution for any problem with the vert doors -

1.) acquire coupe/hatch doors2.) paint to match3.) install

i dislike the pillar very much. some love it. this article is very helpful for those people. nemo always has good articles.

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

I might have a set of those emblems from the pillar. Probably wont have time to look until after the holidays, though.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

If you don't want to take a chance on the B-pillar cover, then don't remove it. I've never had to remove it, just takes some carefulness with the weather stripping that is attached to the panel.

94_240sx

biggie wrote:If you don't want to take a chance on the B-pillar cover, then don't remove it. I've never had to remove it, just takes some carefulness with the weather stripping that is attached to the panel.
This is true, but I removed the B-pillar cover because I wanted to take out inner weather stripping without any damage, but failed anyway.

I have some more pics. I removed outer door belt and cleaned. This door belt is not available anymore, so be careful. You can still order it from dealership, but you will get coupe/hatchback one instead. It has like 2 inch slot at the end for the B-pillar. Vert's belt is just straight all the way. I tried to order new one and found out that Nissan revised the part number. One screw and plastic clips are holding it. The screw can be found inside right next to B-pillar. Remove it screw and pull the belt up gently.

I also removed door molding. Small pins are holding it, so you can use needle nose plier to pop them out. There are bunch of these clips, so be patient. If you pull it too hard, you will tear it and leave the clips on the door.

This is inner weather stripping. It's worst design ever. I can't believe they used this flimsy 'L' shaped plastic piece to hold it. I'm going to get some stuff from Home Depot and redo this. No wonder I had a gap between inner weather strippings and interior door panel.

94_240sx

biggie wrote:I've never had to remove it, just takes some carefulness with the weather stripping that is attached to the panel.
Thinking back, it'll help if 2 people hold the panel together. One guy holds the interior panel on the B-pillar side to make sure inner stripping is secured and the other guy push the whole panel up to remove it.

94_240sx

I have some update for this. Installation was bit tricky, but I was able to put everything back as it was. Actually, I made it even better than before.

I've learned that there's no way you can keep inner weather strip from damaging because the seat belt pillar is on the way. If you just try to install it, you will end up inner weather strip looking like this. I found the way to avoid it.

I bought this Corner Guard from Home Depot for less than $3. Cut it just like original black plastic strip.

Use some double sided tape and attach like this. You will remove the whole thing, so don't use too much double sided tape.

I also bought a couple of bags of nuts and screws from Home Depot. One bag is less than a dollar. They are the smallest you can find there.

Used a Dremel to make holes and attached inner weather strip to the corner guard like this.

Carefully remove it from the door panel after you are done.

Remove double sided tape from the corner guard since you don't want to reuse them.

Put new double sided tape.

You MUST put the inner weather strip after door panel is on. That's the whole point of this project. You have to remove outer door belt/trim to have more room. Just slide the inner weather assembly like this. At this point, only plastic clips are holding the door panel. I haven't installed 4 screws yet.(2 for the front side of door panel & 2 for the seat belt pillar)

You need something like this, so you can attach the corner guard to the door panel easily.

All done!!!

There's thin metal strip inside of inner weather strip, so once you bend it that's it. There's no way you can bend it back to original condition.

Hope this helps.
Modified by 94_240sx at 7:43 PM 5/5/2008

mmm240
Car: 95 Nissan 240SX KADE-T
94 Toyota Pickup
91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
03 Toyota Matrix XR

I have a question!How did you bend the metal wire on the inner strip? I'm about to take off my panels and don't want to do the same.

94_240sx

Quote »I have a question!How did you bend the metal wire on the inner strip? I'm about to take off my panels and don't want to do the same.[/quote]I couldn't. I had to got to junkyard and got the metal strip/wire from an s13. A couple of severely damaged door panels were laying arounf because they had been seating outside too long. I just cut the metal strip/wire area and used it. My tip is just be careful when you remove the panel. Doing it with your friend should help.

You can take the panel off without bending it, but there's no way you can install the panel without damaging the metal strip. Like I did above, put in metal strip last. That'll do the trick. Good luck!

Clark W. Griswald
Car: '93 240SX Vert/ '87 Toyota Cressida

Anyone know the length and pitch of the scres that hold the pillar cover( where we had to remove the emblem), and also the two scres for the door panels(the ones with the black plastic covers)?

amerjap
Car: '89 Nissan 240SX

Thanks for all the photos.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”