Ca18det vacuum lines please help- been searching for the last month

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
slo
Car: S13

Hey guys,

First off, you guys seriously rock. I've been on this site for about 6 months now and I've yet to make my first post because there are so much information available already, that I haven't had to start a new question thread. But now, I come upon all of you to ask a few tech questions that I've been searching for hours to no success.

I'm getting ready to drop in the ca18det motor in my s13 coupe. I've degreased everything (happy engine=clean engine) and tightened/retorqued all the vulnerable components that easily vibrate off. Now I come up to a new challenge: vacuum lines.

After research, I understand that there are total of 12 vacuum lines on a ca18det motor. I've located about half of the them so far. But I have no idea where the egr valve hose (rubber then metal then back to rubber piping goes to. (I imagine somewhere on the exhaust mani). Also the four 1/8" lines that are grouped together (red/blue/ white/black in color), I haven't been too successful locating where these go either. I've seen about 5 different diagrams on here so far but i'm still having trouble.

Could you guys help me find an online source which I can located the last few of these lines? Also, if there's a way that I could simply all these lines, in terms of deleting/ capping/ rerouting, please let me know. Thanks a lot, guys.

Justin

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

First of all, welcome to NICO! I wish more of our members would do the searching that you do! The information you want regarding the vac lines is in the stickes. You don't need to hook all of those lines back up. Most of them are un-needed.

The CA18DET doesn't have an EGR.

The 4 lines under the intake mani can be removed.

I'll re-post the image for you.

slo

Thanks a lot float!

i saw that diagram b4 and when you say that I can remove them, I still don't understand what you mean. How do I get rid of them? Just plug them from the sources?

Here are some of the pictures with comments, of the vacuum lines that need to find a home. Please let me know where all the hoses go on each picture and what i need to do. I've read somewhere that I need to directly route the turbo to the wastegate. Please let me know. Thank you guys so much.

I just capped this off. It's the vacuum line right under the throttle body.

It's the duct-taped off hose piece that need to find a home. It's directly behind the intake manifold, looking at the engine from the tranny side.

The four vacuum lines that we were talking about earlier.

I thought this was the egr pipe??

I'm thinking that opening goes to the hose where coolant runs to the heater core?

I think this is the stock setup. Any modifications needed here?

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

First picture: capped off is fine.

Second picture: goes to the brake booster.

Third picture: screw 'em, they suck.

Fourth picture: coolant feed for turbo I believe.

Fifth picture: correct, goes to heater core.

Sixth picture: thats a crazy looking inlet flange on that turbo. havnt seen one like that before, but the turbo looks stock enough. Instead of having that tee there, just run a line from the nipple on the compressor outlet to the wastegate. Itll make your life much easier and itll probably get you better wastegate response.

anumeric
Car: 1989 RS13, 1986 AE86 GT-S, 1948 2-Wheel Rickshaw.

3rd pic - as mentioned they suck you can just get rid of the hard pipe section. It's basically a vac line coupler that goes behind the intake manifold.

4th pic - bottom big pipe - you can get rid of the hard pipe section it goes to the heater core as well.Middle medium pipe - as r34 said coolant feed for the turbo.Top small pipe - another vac source, originally runs to the nipple on the stock intake tube.

Wei

zero_gripS13
Car: soon to be 95 s14 hopefully

edit
Modified by zero_gripS13 at 11:00 PM 11/8/2007

float_6969

Hope that helps.

zero_gripS13
Car: soon to be 95 s14 hopefully

float_6969 wrote:
Hope that helps.
so your not just a whore after all

thanks man.. i alway can rely on nico for great information.thattle help alot with my swap..

although im going to order th oem butterfly components. hook it up stock(anyone know if theres a option to adjust ecu control of the solenoid with rom tuning?)

slo

You're my hero, float!! What you want for christmas??

Defcon86
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx and 2007 Pontiac G5

Good info Float. I ll be using this when I get mine in.

drifting circles
Car: 240sx

in the 3rd picture if those arent connecnted to anything will that make ur car run like ****.

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

Yay Ryan! We love you so much!!1one!

slo

drifting circles wrote:in the 3rd picture if those arent connecnted to anything will that make ur car run like ****.
the pic of the turbo? How come so many on here told me just route the turbo directly to the wastegate?

float_6969

drifting circles wrote:in the 3rd picture if those arent connecnted to anything will that make ur car run like ****.
Can you elaborate on that?

Regardless, if you don't have it connected like I showed, it won't run right.

roplusbee
Car: 2007 350Z NISMO

I take it this is the vacuum setup for the butterflies.

</ramble>

I have been studying the FSM on the proper setup and replacement of the vaccum lines and stuff, but the previous posts have me a little confused now. I haven't tore into my engine compartment yet because I am waiting for one of the mechanics from my unit to assist me so I don't mess it up. It also seems like everytime I am set to do so, I have to deploy somewhere or participate in an training exercise . I have a 1990 200SX from Germany, so it came stock with all of those goodies. I am just doing my best to keep it running until I can get it back to the states and then get on it for real.

</end ramble>

float_6969

I don't think the euro spec CA's had the butterfly's. It should have a 4 port head.

Take a picture of the intake manifold right where it meets the head.

roplusbee

Ok, hopefully you see what you are looking for, or not looking for (you get the idea).

Now that I think about it, I remember reading about the 4 port vs 8 port head on wikipedia. I am motivated to go check it out again after I post this.

float_6969

No, take a pic looking down where the fuel injectors are at.

Slideways^Jordan
Car: 1989 240sx Coupe-1991 240sx Hatch back

sweet nice info guys im gonna read this when i have time.

forsakenskyz
Car: '89 200sx (UK spec) CA18DET

I have some questions about my current setup. I have just bought this '89 200sx (RHD) this is how it came, but some of it just doesn't make sense to me!! i've read this whole thread and i've got lines where people say i shouldn't and lines just going no where or left wide open... all help is welcome. I've just moved to england soo the CA is COMPLETELY new to me.

I'm sorry if some of this stuff has already been said, but my car works like this... and I'm boosting 1 bar (14.5 psi)

my other mods include...

T28 turbo from a Pulsar GTIRInduction KitDawes Device (manual boost controller)Cold PlugsVolvo FMIC (760)Mongoose full stainless systemNorrisDesigns Stage 1 chip (Fuel cut-off for 1 bar of boost)uprated walbro fuel pumpapexi oil catch tankapexi stainless steel turbo oil feed line

thank you for you help in advance... as you can tell i'm new to NICO and to the CA.. thanks again.

all4sr's
Car: '90 240 hatch with a CA18DET motor.....soon to be running

okay...so...first off....i just signed up to NICO about a week and half ago, my personal opinion is that this is the most HELPFUL site i have ever found....on that note i just bought an S13 Hatch from a guy that was getting deployed overseas for the next year and half and i got a STEAL on the car....it came with a Ca18deT...or so he says......i have NEVER delt with a Ca b4 and i saw the deal and said "why not" from reading this post, alot of my questions have been answered....but there is still a FEW things im unsure of.....ill take some pictures tomorrow in the day light and post them.....i LOVE this site though....its like crack.....addicting as hell....my girlfriend gets pissed cause im spend more time on here than with her.....HAHAHA

roplusbee

I am away from my ride at the moment. I will have to get those pics posted once I get back to the house. More than likely, I will start a new thread. Thanks for putting up with me Float.............

Rob

float_6969

Yea guys, we need to start new threads for this stuff. It makes it easier to find things later on down the road.

All4Sr's, welcome to NICO! Glad to have you. Girlfrinds are over-rated anyway. Oh, I've gtg, my wife is calling...

forsakenskyz: You've got a JDM motor in a European chassis. The small tube on the exhaust side and the larger "bell" that is open are fine. The JDM motor have a butteryfly setup that the EUDM ECU isn't equipped to run.

The large tube on the exhaust side should connect to the intake tube between the turbo and MAFS.

The wierd T infront of the TB should be capped off and the red line should be moved to where the black line is behind the TB.

Where does that black line behind the TB go to?

forsakenskyz
Car: '89 200sx (UK spec) CA18DET

The black line goes to a T with one line into the little bell and the other leading to manual boost controller then to the wastegate...

currently..

purple = Wastegate - MBC - T with black line

red = TB - useless T - BOV

black = Back of intake manifold - T with purple - little bell

clear = back of TB to boost gauge

hope this answers your question!
Modified by forsakenskyz at 4:47 AM 11/28/2007

new200guy
Car: 1990 Nissan 200sx

roplusbee...where are you located in Germany? I am in the Bamberg area.

about the 8 port head. It was never introduced in Europe. was a Japan motor only. even in the UK they only got the 4 port head.

and for r34gtr in reference to the last picture of SLO...that looks like a t28 turbo to me hence needing that inlet flange and the look of the outlet flange. possibly off an sr20det motor.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”