how hard is it to drift a convertable

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
driftmyke
Car: 1993 vert and a crazy fast 98 interceptor

im thinking about buying a convertable but i want to know if its any harder to drift then a normal chassis? and if it is how much harder? thanks

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

I've never drifted myself.. so this is only a guess..

But, based on the members of this forum who do.. Here's what I would say.

Stock or with light mods.. the convertible is worse than the other models.

If you are making a heavily modded race/drift car.. the 'vert could be better than the other models. It's got a bunch of extra chassis rigidity built in to compensate for lack of the roof strength. If you remove the entire top assembly, and do some more weight reduction.. plus build a roll cage (required for competitive drifting), you'll have a stronger, lighter car than the coupe/fback.

DirftKing102
Car: Nissan 240sx 1993 convertable

driftmyke wrote:im thinking about buying a convertable but i want to know if its any harder to drift then a normal chassis? and if it is how much harder? thanks
First day i got my car i tried to drift. DONT DO IT! It will cause future problems. Now i have my car all up to date and am in the process of restoring it/ making it better. It runs still. But if you do want to drift yours on a track make sure you do the auto-manual swap.

Auto-Manual swap zerothread/181139

Another way zerothread?id=77784

Those are what i recommend. If you need a link on wiring issues then I will give it to you later as well.

You probably want to read through those threads to see if you have time to attempt the swap. I would personally do the swap since a manual is a lot easier to drift then an automatic from personal experience. I've never drifted in a manual 240 but did try in my automatic 240 and don't recommend it unless your on a track. But that was last year that i did that and don't plan on doing that again.

Hopefully this helped. if you do plan on doing drifting with an automatic please learn how to do it on a track. Would make the roads much safer for other people

driftmyke

thanks for the response guys.

i have already done a auto - manuel swap on my old hatch so thats no problem.

so if i do the swap i should be able to drift right? just a little harder cause its not as stiff.

i just want to be able to drift the vert cause thats strait pimpin!

BOOMSHAKALAKA

driftmyke wrote:so if i do the swap i should be able to drift right? just a little harder cause its not as stiff.
No there's more to it than that. Much more.
driftmyke wrote:i just want to be able to drift the vert cause thats strait pimpin!
Yeah it is if you have the money to back it up. Unless you do, you're better off using a hatch or a coupe. This very issue has me thinking about selling my vert.

driftmyke

so what are we looking at then? my plans are so far to do a 5 speed swap, buy that front strut tower brace that bolts on the firewall also, do the coupe door conversion, and most likely get a custom roll cage, cause that will probably add tons of ridegity in a car with no top half. is there more nessicary to drift?

otto_3478s
Car: 94 AlTiMa + 94 tT 300 zX

Yes... Skills

driftmyke

really?? you need those? i thought the car did it by itsself. smartass

otto_3478s

HAHAHA but it was funny right?!?! I was begining to wonder though. Tires are another huge part. Just like any racing, you gotta have the right tires. Anyway good luck man!!!!

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

driftmyke wrote:i just want to be able to drift the vert cause thats strait pimpin!
It's not. Every drift vert I've seen looks like ***.

driftmyke

well against all the negitavity im gonna do it anyway.

otto_3478s

hey i say go for it man... i enjoy throwing mine around.... when it rains HAHA! Good luck agian with it

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

BOOMSHAKALAKA wrote:Yeah it is if you have the money to back it up. Unless you do, you're better off using a hatch or a coupe. This very issue has me thinking about selling my vert.
Finally someone with some sense. I don't get why people buy a rare vert and then turn it into a Jeep (full cage) just to drift it. Plus, a coupe looks 10x better than a vert with full cage.

DukeBoy

ishkabibble wrote:
It's not. Every drift vert I've seen looks like ***.

driftmyke wrote:well against all the negitavity im gonna do it anyway.

zerothread?id=261127

otto_3478s

DukeBoy wrote:

zerothread?id=261127
There we go... those vert are bada$z!!!

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

professional? occasionally for fun? all the time for fun? competitive? which one?

driftmyke

basically just a couple nights a week fun and rearly some local competitions.

krash

oh, i think it should be fine for occasional fun as long as you switch to MT. but wirelessalpha drifts his in competitions i think so you should talk to him about it

wirelessalpha
Car: 93 SR Vert, 96 318ti, 06 Altima

hey krash!

Yeah, I "try" to do my best at drifting the thing here and there (PS: you local guys come the e-town event - it's THIS WEDNESDAY!)....

Dukeboy (george) and Chris are wayyyy better than I...and we all drift verts. Also, Matt from Import Intelligence used to have a vert as well...

Anyways...I'm basically rehashing stuff I've said in the past...here it is all in one post:

1. If you are serious about drifting - start with a coupe/hatch.

2. I used to absolutely hate the way a vert looks with a full cage - but then I totally went 180: I.E. I love the way a cage looks in a vert.

3. The vert is sloppy - I mean, real sloppy. Anything to stiffen the car up is good. YOU DONT have to go the cage route - it's just an option. You can do alot of little things here and there (strut bar in front, do luck brace, fender braces, underbody chassis brace...etc) and get nearly the same effect (well, not exactly...but stiffer at least)....I just chose to go the easy route and go cage setup.(PS: I just got the cage done - so it hasnt been tested on the track yet).

4. It's not HARD to drift a vert - it justs a bit more challenging than a coupe or a hatch. You can still do it - you'll just have to adjust and compensate for all the flex.....

That said, if I could - I'd have used a coupe or hatch instead...I just haven't done so now b/c honestly, I have alot invested in this vert now....and there are still days where the top down just rules! So...I don't see myself parting with it anytime soon - or stop using it at the track anytime soon...

Overall, if you are gonna try to drift this thing - you need 2 things to get you going:

1. A 5-speed swap2. A welded diff or real diff. NO VLSD. NO HELICAL

Get those two things - and you are ready to rock. Everything else falls in place later - with anything suspension being a top priority. Especially braces...

krash

and there you go. this should be stickied or sumthin cuz alot of ppl ask this question.

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

I drift my auto vert.... Do pretty well, but can't do any combos... my hatch is jsut a fun toy all around but it is modded while the vert is bone stock,

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Thanks for all the info Wireless. Really good stuff!
krash14 wrote:and there you go. this should be stickied or sumthin cuz alot of ppl ask this question.
Good call krash! I've added this as a link in the FAQ Sticky thread.

numnutzzz

just curious, why is it that alot of people dislike the vlsd? like name the pros and cons. again just curious

jrsink

all u guys need is a 5 speed welded diff and coils thats it...have a ball. my vert drifts like a champ. im selling my old stripped vert shell and i gotta fresh white one now, new cage will be fabbed up soon and seen sliding in fl very soon again! THE SINK

jrsink

how hard does it look to u ; )

VVVthats my old one; the shell is for sale right now in TAMPA. 5 speed swap complete, custom 4 point, full stripped, no glass except windshield, no soft top...taking all offers now.im working on a new one now. i just got a auto white vert for trade for a 5spoeed hatch. working top and ac is very nice i will be doing a new cage in this one as well

dompower_

I drift Every sunday with my vert...and VLSD. No rollcage. With a few bolt-on, the feelig is very great due to lower gravity center. and it not seem to have twist yet.

Suspension Setup:

-Tein SuperDrift Damper-Tein EDFC-Tein Front strut tower bar-Tein tie rod+ tie rod end-Tein Pillow ball Tension Rod-Cusco Rear camber arm -Tanabe Front/Rear Sway Bar -Nismo Power Brace

And it look sooooooooo sweeet!

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”