VH45DE 280SE Build thread

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
RichZilla
Car: Y34 Gloria - VQ30DET 12PSi & 20"rims

I'm in the process of putting a VH45DE into an '81 Mercedes 280SE. I was originally going to put a 1UZ-FE in, but couldn't get a suitable one for a couple of months, so this was the next option. I bought the car for $450 three weeks ago on an impulse after a customer had it towed in with a blown motor.

I removed the trashed 2.8l six last weekend to discover the Merc has a MASSIVE engine bay! However, after a trial fit today things weren't looking too good. The bellhousing fouls on the steering box, the alternator fouls on the driver side chassis rail, the oil filter assembly fouls on the passenger side rail, the starter motor hangs up on the crossmember, the engine won't fit with standard exhaust manifolds and the transmission almost looks too big for the tunnel.

But its nothing a bit of cutting, welding and some smart thinking can't sort out.

The engine is sitting in the car now and the bonnet shuts. I need to do some cutting and grinding so I can move the engine back a few inches to fully clear the drag link.

elgarvo616
Car: 1995 240sx aka sweet thang

oh snap! sweet project. i wanna see more!

RichZilla

More pics when the stupid bluetooth connection from my phone to the computer decides to work!

plain
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd

thats a big engine

RichZilla

Engine still not mounted yet. Gotta pull it out on saturday and do some engine bay modifications.

Nissan doesn't seem to like packaging their big engines very well. So much rubbish everywhere. They should take a leaf out of Toyota's book with the 1UZ-FE.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

im wondering what you mean by the packaging? I assume you're probably talking about the location of the alternator and the AC compressor.

FWIW the JDM VH41's package better than VH45's do and you can swap in the internals.

RichZilla

No, more like the rubbish all over the motor. What could look really nice looks like ****e because of all the hoses and what not everywhere. Compare to a 1UZ and you'll see what I mean.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Friggin awsome project man, I'll be keeping an eye on this from now on. Very tight fit...I can imagine how many times you've removed skin from your knuckels already

RichZilla

While I was sick and unable to work on the car all weekend, I thought about what I'm going to do about the alternator and oil filter assembly fouling on the chassis rails.

There needs to be about an extra inch of clearance between the rails for the alt and oil filter assy. Because these items are long, I can't just put a dent in each rail as someone suggested to me. I'll cut a piece out of each rail about 20mm deep and as long as is required, then plate the hole up.

The rails on the merc are very wide, so I feel doing this will not compromise overall strength enough to worry about.

So this weekend, I'll pull the engine out and modify the rails, scallop the crossmember for starter clearance, and re-fit alternator and oil filter assy. I'll also sort out the issue of starter motor bulge in bellhousing fouling on the steering box. Then it should go in no worries and I can start making mounts. Still havent been able to get underneath the car enough to see how much clearance the auto has in the tunnel yet.

RichZilla

I made the gearbox crossmember and engine mounts today. Bastard of a job to get the engine to fit. I still need to modify the rails somewhat to get the alternator and oil filter assembly to fit.

I'll pull the engine out next saturday and sort that out. While the engine is out, I'll do a bit more grinding in the bellhousing area and plate up the section of the crossmember that I cut out.

Did this for starter motor clearance.

Note that I had to cut the head to clear the steering box adjusting bolt. Also, if you look closely, you'll see I had to cut a section out of the bellhousing. Also to clear the steering box. Don't try this at home kids.

Now you see why I had to cut the bellhousing

Gearbox crossmember. I somehow lost the Merc one and had to make a new one. No big deal though.

Turned out really nice.

Engine mounts. I had to cut the little stabiliser shock absorber things off the front of the crossmember to attach mounts.

Engine finally mounted. I wish I could have put it further back in the engine bay, but the steering box said no.

I'm going to have to make some crazy exhaust manifolds. There's no room to even do a log type setup. You'll cringe at what I end up doing.

WDRacing

SWEEEEEEET!!!!!

Dude, don't even worry about where the motor is sitting. It's so much lighter then the one you removed, it could be over the front bumper and still handle better...lol.

Really great project, makes me look at those older Benz Verts in a whole new way when I see them forsale

WD

RichZilla

Its not a big drama where the engine is. I think there's enough room in the front to run the VH clutch fan. Don't know whether I will or not yet. It also makes doing heater hoses easier. But if I ever need to adjust the steering box, the engine will have to come out.

The biggest drama I'm having at the moment is trying to find a good manual for the mercedes so I can wire everything up. I bought the mercedes dealer WIS (4 gig install)with every model in it, but there's no wiring diagrams in it for my car.

WDRacing

4 gigs...holy crap...and no wiring for your model. That is a bummer man.

RichZilla

I pulled the engine out again yesterday and cut sections out of the chassis rails for alternator and oil filter clearance. Took forever because people kept coming into the shop and bothering me.

DJButton
Car: 2010 Nissan 240sx

Hmm, I really enjoy projects like this, definitely will be following your continued progress!

On a side note, I'm surprised no one has suggested getting a remote oil filter location kit yet, would help clear up that assembly hitting if that's still a problem. I'm sure the filter assembly would work from numerous different engine applications as Nissan uses the same filters for pretty much everything in that era. After that it would just be a matter of having some lines in the way. Just putting that out there in case you hadn't thought of it, but anyway good luck with the rest of the project!

RichZilla

I thought about it and how I could do it, but it would have taken longer to do. The problem was that the oil filter mounting flange was actually fouling on the rail. An aftermarket remote filter kit wouldn't solve the problem. I would have had to cut up the oil filter assembly and tap some fittings into it to run lines somewhere else. Then I could have still used the standard oil filter mounting flange.

This project is all about time and money. The less I spend of each the better - especially since I can only work on the car one day a week. I spent an hour all up on the passenger side rail and there's a good 20mm of clearance now. Would have been way longer sorting out a remote filter.

RichZilla

I somehow managed to break the magnetic speed sensor at the front of the extension housing last week. Called Nissan for a price on a new one. It was $235!!! Bugger that!! So I got the die grinder out and ground a bit off the top of the sensor to expose the broken wires. Soldered new wires on and poured araldite over the top. All fixed. Cost: nothing.

DJButton

Haha, that's what I should do for mine, I've never bothered hooking up the speed sensor on my RB 135 new is ridiculous.

Anyhow, I figured you had checked into it, and yeah makes sense, I imagined there wasn't much clearence at all. Either way, good that you made a little progress though!

RichZilla

I got SFA done today. Mounted the Merc radiator and a 12" R33 Skyline condensor fan. I put the standard fan shroud over it to make it look a bit more standard. Clutch fan would have fit, but the cutout in the fan shroud is off center.

I looked a bit further at what I'm going to do with exhaust manifolds. And let me just say I'm ****ting myself with regards to the driver's side. I've been fabricating exhausts for a fair few years now, so I've done some tight stuff, but this is ridiculous. I'm thinking about making a forward facing log and running the pipe under the crossmember. I'm not lowering the car, so ground clearance won't be too much of an issue. I had a crazy suggestion from a dude who'd been making exhaust for 30 years - make the manifolds out of sqaure tube and then weld pipes onto the end!

RichZilla

The Merc was kicked off the hoist and put on the floor yesterday afternoon. So today I decided to start some of the wiring. Still having almost no merc wiring diagrams isn't helping me.

The shifter on the merc comes out on the wrong side, so I did some crazy modifying of the t-bar mounting pin and bracket so it would come out on the correct side of the tunnel.

The good thing about the merc is that the auto wiring comes in through the side of the tunnel, so I didn't need to extend the chopped VH auto loom much to join back up with the auto.

It's really difficult going through all the scrap wires in the shop trying to find 40 odd different matching colour wires. This is what I started with after sifting through the scrap - mostly Subaru looms:

And this is what I ended up with. Ready to connect to the car:

This is where I'll be mounting the computers:

Hopefully my Mercedes manual will come next week and I can finish the wiring.

DJButton

Hmm, I've seen 240's with VH's encountering similar problems... there really isn't much room at all for those mani's. Good luck with the wiring I'm anticipating a video of this thing running at some point!

RichZilla

Since the last update, I've:

Hooked up radiator and heater hosesHooked up fuel hosesMounted a Nissan power steering reserviorRan the low presure line from the reservoir to the pumpWired up alternator, starter motor and connected engine earth cablesConnected temp sensor wire for dashRan engine loom through firewallConverted the Merc from linkage to cable accelerator using a J30 Maxima cable and some pedal mods. Works perfectly. Fitted the shortened and modified tailshaft

Remaining on the to do list are:Estimated times at the end of each entry (hrs)

Brake booster hose .15Fabricate and fit inlet pipe with K&N pod filter - that's all that will fit. 1Connect auto wires at auto 2Bridge Merc inhibitor switch wires (I've already connected the VH auto inhibitor switch up to the starter.) .1Connect oil pressure switch wire in engine bay .15Join A/C clutch wire .1Power steer return hose .15Power steer pressure hose 1Wire electric fan up 1EFI wiring 3.5Move engine loom grommet .3Make speed signal divider so auto will change gears 1Fit auto cooler pipes 1.5Fabricate exhaust manifolds and exhaust. 10Fabricate shifter linkage 2Sublet a/c pipe connection $300

All up, there's about 24 hours. Hopefully I can get it done within the next month. My target is 21st of October.

Now the pictures

WDRacing

Man that is a tight fit...lol. You have more patience then I do that's for sure.

RichZilla

It runs!

I started wiring up the ECCS this morning and couldn't believe how easy it was. All I needed to connect up was: ignition positive, battery positive, start signal to ecu and tacho signal to Merc fuel pump relay. There's still a lot of work left though.

DJButton

Nice, grats man!

RichZilla

I finished wiring up the auto today, made the inlet pipe, joined the auto cooler lines, and made the shifter linkage. Below are a couple of videos. Very very poor quality because they came off my mobile phone. Still no exhaust on it. You'll notice it conk out at the end of the videos. That was before I worked out that the Merc's tachometric fuel pump relay doesn't like the VH tacho signal. All sorted now though.

As you can see in the pics, the air filter isn't connected to the inlet pipe. I'm still waiting for the air flow meter adaptor to be made. Down the track I'll put a small Uni Filter rampod on it which will flow a lot more.

About 15 hours of work left before it's finished.

Brake booster hose .15 DoneFabricate and fit inlet pipe with K&N pod filter 1 DoneConnect auto wires at auto 2 DoneBridge Merc inhibitor switch wires .1 DoneConnect oil pressure switch wire in engine bay .15 DonePower steer return hose .15 DonePower steer pressure hose 1 DoneEFI wiring 3.5 DoneFit auto cooler pipes 1.5 DoneFabricate shifter linkage 2 DoneWire electric fan up 1Join A/C clutch wire .1Move engine loom grommet .3Make speed signal divider so auto will change gears 1Fabricate exhaust manifolds and exhaust. 10Sublet a/c pipe connection and regas $300

New additions to list:Fit non self levelling rear shocks 1.5Fit new head deck while console is out 1.5General tidy up and checkover 1

Pics:

Videos:

Modified by RichZilla at 3:20 PM 10/5/2007

RichZilla

It's now driving. I'll be renewing the registration on Monday and it'll be on the road.

Let me just say, it absolutely hammers. Video soon.

DJButton

That is awesome! Congrats on getting it on the road, what a great project!

Return to “Hybrids”